I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing so



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby Muff_Diver » Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 am

I believe most apply the binding first, then mask it, finish the body, then scrape away any paint they may have made it onto the binding. Def worth a google. Theres some stuff on the TDPRI site.

You want that fresh unfinished cut so your binding lays evenly. Its a lot more work to scrape out the entire routed channel than to scrape paint off of the binding itself.
Muff_Diver

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 am

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby bennroe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:02 pm

I have a body and bridge on the way to me, so there's finally a little movement on this project. I went with an unfinished Warmoth tele body routed for humbuckers, and a 2TEK bridge. There's a little voice inside me screaming that the 2TEK is snake oil, but my rational brain rarely wins these disagreements, so I'll report in when I'm finished. The trouble will be, obviously, that I'll have no basis of comparison, having never used this guitar with a different bridge. Anyway, next stop is pickups, and I'm currently leaning toward alumitones, but not sure if I want humbuckers or deathbuckers. I was going to go with Blk/Tri frost giants, but their comeback is just taking too long, and I started looking elsewhere. I'm also trying to figure out body-finishing details. I really wanted to have binding on the body, but I'm a little intimidated and don't really have the tools to do it properly. Anyone know how I might go about approximating this finish?

IMG_1084.jpg
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
bennroe

committed
committed
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:36 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:39 pm

Looks like some watered down dye smeared here and there and lightly sanded back to achieve the patches. Just guessing
BetterOffShred

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby bennroe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Thanks! I'll look into that!

My body and bridge arrived a few days ago. It may weigh a little over 14 lbs. (completely unfinished and unloaded, and without a pickguard), but man, does it all fit together like a glove.

IMG_1086.jpg
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
bennroe

committed
committed
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:36 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Just for the sake of checking, did you measure from the nut to the 12th and all to make sure the bridge placement is correct for the scale length?
BetterOffShred

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby Jero » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:00 pm

bennroe wrote: Anyone know how I might go about approximating this finish?
IMG_1084.jpg

I saw a guitar at a pawn in Nashville last week, that looked exactly like that, and was already loaded with alumitones...'bucker in the neck, and standard on the bridge :drool: :love: (I got tricked by the multi price tag though and thought it was $300 at first :( ...was closer to $600)
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 9621
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 am
Location: here

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby bennroe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Just for the sake of checking, did you measure from the nut to the 12th and all to make sure the bridge placement is correct for the scale length?


Yeah, I did! Everything seems right on! I did a fair amount of emailing Warmoth prior to placing my order, so I was pretty confident, but I'm still relieved.

Jero wrote:I saw a guitar at a pawn in Nashville last week, that looked exactly like that, and was already loaded with alumitones...'bucker in the neck, and standard on the bridge :drool: :love: (I got tricked by the multi price tag though and thought it was $300 at first :( ...was closer to $600)


Did you play it? I'm super curious how this is all going to turn out. My guitar will probably weigh twice what that one did, though, so it probably wouldn't sound all that similar. $300 would have been a nuts price, but $600 still isn't bad if it sounded good.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
bennroe

committed
committed
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:36 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:49 pm

It's going to be tits man. I'm pumped to see the results :)
BetterOffShred

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Re: I want to build a guitar, but have no experience doing s

Postby Jero » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:41 pm

bennroe wrote:
Jero wrote:I saw a guitar at a pawn in Nashville last week, that looked exactly like that, and was already loaded with alumitones...'bucker in the neck, and standard on the bridge :drool: :love: (I got tricked by the multi price tag though and thought it was $300 at first :( ...was closer to $600)


Did you play it? I'm super curious how this is all going to turn out. My guitar will probably weigh twice what that one did, though, so it probably wouldn't sound all that similar. $300 would have been a nuts price, but $600 still isn't bad if it sounded good.

Unfortunately, no. They had it up on the wall, in a display...not like it was a 50 year old Gibson or Fender or something :grumpy: :idk: Looked fantastic though...couldn't make out what brand it was. Seemed like something not mass produced. I'm sure whatever they were actually asking was fair, but if it had been that $300 I certainly would have taken the time to ask someone to pull it down.
...I'm sure your's will be equally, if not more, killer...well, actually it's already more with that neck :cool:
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 9621
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 am
Location: here

Previous

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.