Traynor TS50B blown resistors

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Traynor TS50B blown resistors

Postby cobascis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:53 am

I just scored a Traynor TS50b (aka Shellac bass tone) for $25, knowing that it would turn on but not make sound.

Upon opening it, I found this:
The TS50B:

Here is the damage:

Maybe someone ran it with the wrong impedance cab? I've never dealt with something like this. Should I be worried that the transformer is fucked?

It looks like the back of the pcb is OK, so I'm hoping I can just replace these components and call it a day.

I found a schematic online, but am having trouble identifying the values of the resistors I need to replace. Could anyone make a list of those in the burnt out area?

Any pointers on to whether replacing just these resistors or if this might be a deeper problem would be appreciated!

Thanks!
cobascis

committed
committed

Re: Traynor TS50B blown resistors

Postby imJonWain » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:13 am

I'm a little banged up right now to be of major help but I can tell you there definitely is a deeper problem resistors don't just fry like that, something caused too much current to go through them and burn. Maybe another will chime in, I'll take a look at a schematic tomorrow sometime.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cobascis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:32 pm

imJonWain wrote:I'm a little banged up right now to be of major help but I can tell you there definitely is a deeper problem resistors don't just fry like that, something caused too much current to go through them and burn. Maybe another will chime in, I'll take a look at a schematic tomorrow sometime.

I was hoping (someone else on another forum said that their TS50B had similar damage) that someone just plugged it into the wrong impedance cab or something? Though maybe that couldn't cause this damage? Out of my realm of expertise here. Thanks for lookin!
cobascis

committed
committed

Postby cobascis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Here's a better shot showing traces:
cobascis

committed
committed

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects