Musikraft vs Warmoth for necks?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Musikraft vs Warmoth for necks?

Postby Swordfishtrombone » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:07 pm

I'll be ordering a new neck for my Jaguar by the end of the year, and I'm not sure which one to go with. The stock one is fine, but I find that fatter necks are much better for my wrist. Gonna either go for the regular fat C that they have or the SRV profile. Not sure which, but I'll most likely be going with the latter since the couple SRV strats that I decided to check at GC seemed to fit my hand really well. I just don't know who to order from. I ran it thru the build-a-neck thing on both sites, and it comes out about the same (maybe like $20 less for Musikraft), so that's not an issue here. Anyone tried necks from both companies? Would one be any better than the other? I know both are meant to be good, but I wanna get some more input before going for this. :idk:
Swordfishtrombone

committed
committed

Re: Musikraft vs Warmoth for necks?

Postby doommeow » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:42 pm

I've never had a good experience with Warmoth. Buy from Musikraft
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Swordfishtrombone » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:38 pm

Hmm alright. What was actually wrong with the Warmoth experiences? Not doubting what you said or anything, just curious about what's wrong with them.
Swordfishtrombone

committed
committed

Postby mws » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:15 pm

I got a Jaguar neck from Musikraft, SS frets, 1/4 sawn, V to C profile. It's great. The profile is just chunky enough for my tastes, the V isn't very pronounced. It came ready to play, no fretwork necessary. It also fit the neck pocket of my Warmoth Mustang body perfectly. No experience with Warmoth necks, though.
mws

involved
involved

Postby ThurberMingus » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:50 pm

This thread is relavent to my interests.
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:53 pm

I've bought I think 3 necks from Warmoth? The 4th is on it's way. I haven't had a bad transaction with them. They don't take paypal, so just be warned. I bought showcase necks the 3 other times that I ordered before this custom one that is being made right now. The only thing that I didn't like about one of the necks that I ordered is when I had ordered a nitro finish on it, they put the frets on first (which I guess is understandable), but then the nitro was all over the frets and I had to polish them to get it off
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:41 am

I love my Warmoth neck. Never tried a Musikraft one though.

UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mws » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:12 am

That Warmoth looks sweeeeet.

To complicate things further, I just got a USA Custom Guitars neck in the mail today. Also fucking awesome. Similar specs to my Musikraft Jag neck, but I got a fatter version of their '54 contour, which is a bit of a V to C, compound radius 7.5 to 9.5. Tommy there was great to deal with, he used wood I had mailed to him with no issues. Seems like you can't really go wrong :thumb:
mws

involved
involved

Postby kosta » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:55 pm

I've had good experience with Warmoth necks, but I've installed and done all of the fretwork myself on the two that I've used. May try a USACG body and neck for my next build just to see how they are.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ancientbones » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:06 am

I got a custom warmoth neck for a jazzmaster build that I haven't had time to finish. Fits the body I got from MJT perfectly snug though.

Not sure if it's a normal thing with this stuff but I had to drill out the tuner holes a little more to put the bushings in. That was kind of annoying.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby ChannelingHemingway » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:30 am

I have a B&B jag neck from Warmoth that I'm pretty happy with. The profile feels great ('59 roundback) and the inlay work is spot-on. The frets need a bit of dressing but I feel like that'll be a thing no matter who you order from. I'll be shooting nitro when it warms up :thumb: (...in 5 months :grumpy: ).

I've ordered a body from USACG and had no issues there either. But necks are more fiddly, so that's probably not the most relevant endorsement.

skullservant wrote:The only thing that I didn't like about one of the necks that I ordered is when I had ordered a nitro finish on it, they put the frets on first (which I guess is understandable), but then the nitro was all over the frets and I had to polish them to get it off

Was it maple/maple? I'm pretty sure that's how Fender used to do theirs: fret before finishing, and then dress the frets afterwards. I used to have a USA strat that definitely had poly on the sides of the frets.

UglyCasanova wrote:

Hawt. Raw canary?
ChannelingHemingway

involved
involved

Postby UglyCasanova » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:36 pm

Correct :thumb:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects