Got a free project bass

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Got a free project bass

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Check out this project bass I just got!

My wife's uncle lives up in IL, and part of his job is to remove crap from the forest preserves. He found this out in the woods, I think. It sure looks that way.

Her cousin put out a request for information, and I researched it for him. He said we could have it, so I arranged a series of pickups and drop-offs between our families. My dad finally made it back to the South, and we got it on Monday.

Here is my wife's new bass, and my new project:

It's a 1960s Eko 995, made in Italy. It is in pieces, but most of it is there. It is missing the bridge, and a pickup ring. The frets are mostly good, and the neck appears straight. The (crazy) headstock is in great shape. The body is in better shape than many images I've seen, with only one finish crack. Tuners are as smooth as can be.

It's going to be a long process, starting with a thorough cleaning. I don't even want to touch this nasty thing.

Mike
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Re: Got a free project bass

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Nice, Mike, worth it for the case alone.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Moose » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Dude. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
Moose

committed
committed

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Well, unless anyone has any ideas, this project is dead. :(

My wife a I started cleaning it yesterday. I took off the truss rod access cover, and found the truss rod nut loose under the cover. It has a broken piece of the truss rod embedded in it. Not good.

I know Stewmac sells a ~$250 tool to drill around the rod and cut new threads. It costs more than the bass is worth. Oh yeah, and I am pretty sure it isn't even the right diameter. Not an option. Even if it was, I would need to get a custom truss rod nut made, and that probably wouldn't be cheap, either.

Anyone have any ideas? Otherwise, this thing will likely be parted out and sold.

Mike
Mike

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Too bad.

Set it up for slide.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Achtane » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Too bad.

Set it up for slide.

Those Morphine toans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:41 pm

what's the dimensions of the heal of the neck?
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:39 am

Looks like the heel of the neck is 1.95" wide. Scale length appears to be the ultra-common 29.5". 21 frets.

Should be a piece of cake to find a replacement, huh?

I'm not so sure on a slide bass. My wife is still squarely in the beginner stage, and it would never get played.
Mike

committed
committed

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:55 am

Mike wrote:Looks like the heel of the neck is 1.95" wide. Scale length appears to be the ultra-common 29.5". 21 frets.

Should be a piece of cake to find a replacement, huh?

I'm not so sure on a slide bass. My wife is still squarely in the beginner stage, and it would never get played.

:idk: I might have something that might fit that is just collecting dust, I'll have to check later.. how thick is it at the heel?
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:14 pm

ok.. I has a old univox beatle bass neck the heel is 1 7/8" wide and it is 1 3/8" deep, scale is 30''...
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects