Where can I find the NOISIEST guitar pickup?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Where can I find the NOISIEST guitar pickup?

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Okay so i have this steinberger spirit headless guitar which actually plays very nicely and sounds very smooth and pristine. Maybe like a stratocaster but a bit less jangly. It's HSS pickup configuration.

However, i want this guitar to become a tabletop prepared guitar as well as a guitar i can use in my grind band so i think i'd like to gut it all and put in a single pickup with no electronics except for a killswitch.
That way i have a tiny portable nearly indestructible guitar that's actually nice to play.
It is gloss black but if the pickup mod turns out well i will fill in the unused slots then refinish it to the best of my ability in a colour picked from the guitar/bass colour name thread.

My question is - does anyone know any particular pickups that are more prone to feedback than others and maybe are even so high output they make pedals and amps do weird unstable things? Also which position would it be best to put in? I don't really like bridge only guitars usually so i was thinking like a stacked humbucker or something in the middle position.. I would prefer not to have to do any routing (not because i don't want to hack at it, because i suck).
Don't really care about the price but i mean for this application it would be nice to be buying something old and cheap :lol:
Thanks
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Where can I find the NOISIEST guitar pickup?

Postby KaosCill8r » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:34 am

If you want to make pickups more prone to feedback, then melt some of the wax off them. Take out the pickups and sit them on the parcel shelf of your car for a couple of hours on a hot day.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PetZounds » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Hey, I figured out a great way to do this.
On my bass, I wired a pickup and a contact mic directly to the jack.
It's incredibly noisy and feeds back even at bedroom levels.
PetZounds

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:51 pm

If you don't want to go all out crazy (I don't know) then you could also just get a P90, from what I know they're pretty much the noisiest pickups you can get.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:27 pm

PetZounds wrote:Hey, I figured out a great way to do this.
On my bass, I wired a pickup and a contact mic directly to the jack.
It's incredibly noisy and feeds back even at bedroom levels.

where did you mount the contact mic? just in the control cavity?
i'm guessing it would work the same if i wired them to a killswitch then wired that to the jack hey
i have a couple of piezo discs and some tiny speakers lying around so i shall experiment with this, thanks!

Tristan wrote:If you don't want to go all out crazy (I don't know) then you could also just get a P90, from what I know they're pretty much the noisiest pickups you can get.

a p90 would definitely be noisier than what's in there, maybe i can find a humbucker sized p90 and put that in the bridge position.

KaosCill8r wrote:If you want to make pickups more prone to feedback, then melt some of the wax off them. Take out the pickups and sit them on the parcel shelf of your car for a couple of hours on a hot day.

a little late to reply but this is awesome, thanks, just the sort of creative thinking/cost effectiveness i like to hear :thumb:
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PetZounds » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:49 pm

I just put it on the body and covered it with a sticker. :lol:
PetZounds

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 am

okay, wow. that worked out a lot better than i imagined. the middle pickup and piezo are just wired straight to the jack, pickup height lowered a bit to balance it and you can make both sources out clearly. feeds back at bedroom volume but when the guitar is played it still has a lot of clarity. the piezo is just stuck on with double sided tape at the moment but in that position you can lift the guitar up and sing into it easily.
i don't think i can melt wax off these pickups since they're sealed like EMG's etc but pretty damn happy at the moment. time for aesthetic modifications :cool:
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PetZounds » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:37 am

Kickass!
I'm glad it worked out for you.
PetZounds

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kbit » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:59 pm

Shit man, that's my kind of guitar. I wanna do that contact mic shit. Maybe if I ever get a second short scale bass I can do this with my hondo :evil:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects