Help me make my guitar kickass!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Help me make my guitar kickass!

Postby fuzzywolf » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:13 am

I'm continuing the thread I started in General Discussion because the conversation was getting more technical and would fit better here.
original thread:
http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=44390&p=890088#p890088

Summary: I've decided to quit being a pansy about modding my jag and I'm looking for suggestions for some juicy mods. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Right now I'm looking for suggestions to repurpose the bass cut switch. So far, it sounds like a series/parallel switch might be the way to go. So I'm trying to get a feel for what said switch will do. I have an HH jag and both pickups can be split via roller knobs.

But I'm still open to other ideas for this switch.

Also, I'm thinking of maybe trying to swap the neck for an aluminum one in the (probably) distant future. So if you'd care to talk me into/out of doing so, be my guest. If you think it's a good idea, I'd really appreciate if I could get some info on where to acquire an aluminum neck for a jaguar.

I'll be sure to document the process once I accept some ideas.
fuzzywolf

committed
committed

Re: Help me make my guitar kickass!

Postby antennafarm » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:23 am

NO, DON'T DO IT

(just kidding)
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby AxAxSxS » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:04 am

where are you trying to go, sonically?
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fuzzywolf » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:35 am

I'm not really sure to be honest. I feel my guitar is pretty versatile already, but I'd still like to broaden my horizons. Really, I'm up for anything. Although, I also feel my guitar is lacking in the pickup department. They aren't as hot as I'd like them to be sometimes. And when they're set to "humbucker mode", it seems like there's still a little single coil-y flavor lingering. I'm debating if I wanna change the pickups to something hotter with more attack.
The idea of getting a higher output with the flip of a switch makes the series/parallel thing sound appealing.
fuzzywolf

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:34 pm

I really like the Mark Morton pickups from Dimarzio. I'm not a lamb of god fan, but I'm a nerd and watch lots of rig rundowns. His description of the pickup is spot on. Humbucker mode is thick and warm. I run it with the volume about 8 normally and going to 10 gives it just a little something in the gas department. Single coil side is brighter and thinner, but not brittle. I have lots of songs where I switch between the two for different parts. I don't know of many other pickups where both ways are actually super useable. Normally one or the other seems lacking.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:07 pm

^That sounds good.

I generally don't like split humbuckers because the single coil sounds usually suck. Like it's an afterthought.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects