Shellcaster

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Shellcaster

Postby braaandooon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:40 am

skullservant wrote:Yeah, it's long overdue for me. I've always toyed with the idea of a pink guitar, but never acted on it. Plus maple + shell pink just sounds right.

Going to assess the body when it lands, either going to sand it down and do a proper respray, or just spray over the existing paint. I would prefer to do the first if possible

If you do decide to strip original finish, I'd recommend using citristrip. Love that stuff, non toxic and can be used inside the comfy confines of your own home. I refinish m1 garands to military spec on the side, and can say that this stuff makes life easy.

Hand sanding a poly finish is a pain in the ass, although a belt sander would do the trick, but don't trust them on projects were attention to detail is a must.

NOTE: Forgot that MIM fender bodies use polyester and not polyurethane, that shit sucks and would probably need somthing like methylene chloride(super stripper)
Last edited by braaandooon on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:04 am

Hyphen Nation wrote:What do you think that? It's fucking sexy looking, but when I played one the pickups lack some of the vintage growl and the trem seemed a bit spongy [set up low spring tension]. That being said, I keep looking at it...

I don't know why they didn't just do a reissue. And if this was a reissue of the 62 then I would be disappointed in the pickups, they are just too hot. But this is its own beast, sort of a pimped out Classic Player really. Its a quality instrument, i'll give fender big ups for putting together a flawless guitar in mine. I prefer the stock pups that came in my 65 avri Jaguar overall, they are much more dimensional, balanced and a lot less hot. Thats something i don't jive with, the stock pups in modern fenders are always too hot compared to vintage pups. A great thing about this trem is how easy it is to set up to your liking.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:45 am

braaandooon wrote:
If you do decide to strip original finish, I'd recommend using citristrip. Love that stuff, non toxic and can be used inside the comfy confines of your own home. I refinish m1 garands to military spec on the side, and can say that this stuff makes life easy.

Hand sanding a poly finish is a pain in the ass, although a belt sander would do the trick, but don't trust them on projects were attention to detail is a must.

NOTE: Forgot that MIM fender bodies use polyester and not polyurethane, that shit sucks and would probably need somthing like methylene chloride(super stripper)

Thanks for the tip dude. It's a Squier body, and already been painted over at least once or twice, so we will see what it looks like. I'm about to go pick it up actually!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby braaandooon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:33 pm

If the body is korean, or chinese made it will be polyurethane, if japanese or mexican made will be polyester. Don't know alot about squiers, but theres this silver sparkle jagmaster thats been rotting away on my local craigslist for $150 for sometime now, think it could be a nice contrast to my flip flop sg, then I'll have the trendy auto paint theme on lock.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:03 pm

Got a can of Citristrip and applied two coats of it. Was able to get the spray paint off, but that was about it. Was a freaking mess...

This is where I ended for the night. Dunno if it's worth the effort of continuing to strip this body, or just buy a new one.

skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby braaandooon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Yah thats polyester, actually suprised it got that much off in a limited amount of time.

When I use citristrip I leave it on for a minimum of 12 hours, strip,use a stiff brush with hot water and repeat the process a few times.

You got a good start and wouldn't give up on that body yet. Polyester is a pain to remove, and I would typically use aircraft stripper on that finish, or the prior mentioned methylene chloride.

This method isnt the fastest, but will save you from a hefty sanding job.

Even after getting all that shit stripped off the body is gonna need a good week to dry before applying any paint.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:53 pm

I did 1 coat for 15 minutes, and then another coat for about 5 hours. I found it really hard to scrape the inside cavities which also had paint on them
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:01 pm

The first and last time I used Citristrip was on a wooden table and all it seemed to do was make a sludgy fucking mess.
I kind of like the current messed up paint job on the guitar though...
backwardsvoyager wrote:i've been toying with the idea of respraying the SGV i got off Achtane in pink from head to toe... maybe one day.

doit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Yeah, that's a good way to describe it- sludgy. I got most of the muck off, but there are still gobs of it here and there in places I couldn't easily reach with the scraper.

I kind of like the messed up paint job, a little bit. I've realized that the neck pocket and neck on the guitar are wider than a regular tele neck and neck pocket- does anyone know the variations in the dimensions?

re: pickguard- If I use this body chances are I will have to get a custom guard cut for it. Somewhere in the realm of a Tele deluxe type of guard, because a traditional one is way too small to cover the extensive routing
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby braaandooon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Yah thats kinda the nature of working with strippers is the sludgy mess, no way around it, as thats how they get the job done.

Most of these products are active for up to 24 hours so the longer you leave it on, the better, this process can also be aided by sealing the body in a trashbag and closing it up.

I try to use citristrip whenever possible, as its the medium that allows me to use my bathtub for a rinse. A scolding hot rinse and a stiff brush does lots of good in removing the mess between applications. So dont be afraid to get that body wet, that and brush well help remove solvent and disolved finish from body routes.

The other products I mentioned would be better suited for the job, but those products are very toxic. I work with aircraft stripper just about daily, and even in a well ventilated area, a respirator is definatly required.

I think your project will turn out as intended. Won't happen over night, but atleast won't require a shit ton of sanding.

I tend to take on alot of rifle refinishing projects, and have a basic routine I go by. Really doesnt involve a whole lot of my time. I apply my solvent in morning, let sit all day, before bed, I strip, and give a hot scrub, and then re apply. I repeat this process until I get grain.

When working with oil or polyurethane finishes, I usually repeat the process 3-5 times.

Polyester is a bear, when hunters bring me there newer remingtons, I usually scoff, as with even some of the best solvents, I typically have to repeat the process a minimum of 10 times.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:53 pm

Well, I said fuck it because I was irritated at the body itself in general, took a dremel sander to it, rough sanded the rest of the spray paint off of it, then said fuck it again, took it outside, and sprayed it pink. It's drying, but I really don't have high hopes for this body in general. The routes on it are weird, it's cracking, etc. I might just start over with a new body.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Hyphen Nation » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:46 pm

@UG, yeah. I could see picking it up and tossing some better PU's into it for sure. It's fucking gorgeous.

@Skully, I thought with these Poly finishes, you could just get them to pop off with some heat? Good luck on the project. If it doesn't work out, seems like there are more than enough tele bodies to go around. :)
Hyphen Nation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:48 pm

Probably could but I don't have a heat gun at the moment. I dunno honestly if this body would be worth any more work being done to it, though. We will see tomorrow. Like you said, there are plenty of bodies out there. I might cancel this project and start up on that Bass VI I wanted to do
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby braaandooon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Ahhh man, patience is key my friend, heres one of my polyester pain in the ass projects

Its a 77 ruger 10/22. Ruger quit using walnut and introduced birch due to lumber prices, their attempt to try to put one by customers was to apply a walnut varnish and and some odd clear finish I'm unsure of. The original owner ended up painting it black and a heavy coating of polyester, shit is pretty much bomb proof. Anyways I bought it as a rusty beater that didn't work for $25 bucks, took me almost a week to get that stock bare, dont even want to get into the total time of reviving this heap. Now its back in service heavily modified to handle some very nasty ammo, as its a coyote gun. It does its part, as I lend my services to all the local deer farms, saving all the baby deer of the world 1 by 1.

Although not a guitar, I nice piece of lumber is somthing I can appreciate, and cant believe ruger would even sprayed this awesome piece of birch in the first place.

If you ever get that bass vi project going and want a great finish I could be of some help, can also provide some pics of some of my other builds and other projects, hoping to start my own guitar build one of these days.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:00 am

I appreciate your help dude. That gun looks ace!

I think I would be more inclined to actually see this body through if I new that it was going to work out physically. It's just in weird shape as it is in addition to this finishing/refinishing business that I'd rather start new, I think. Whether its a new body for this neck, or me starting the Bass VI I feel like I could probably do a better job starting from scratch.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects