Shellcaster

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Shellcaster

Postby skullservant » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 am

Not entirely sure where exactly I'm going with this project, but here's a start:

Telecaster body
Maple neck
going to paint it shell pink
black pickguard
Teisco pickups (x2)
two toggles for on/off instead of a 3 way switch (I think)
single volume knob

I've got two Teisco single coils left over from a Teisco project that hbomb gave me that I'm going to load into it.
Going to route the bridge pickup route so that the pickup can fit

Should be getting the body and neck and stuff in tomorrow or Saturday from hbomb :hug: :snax:
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Shellcaster

Postby backwardsvoyager » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:43 am

shell pink?

YES. PLEASE.

:joy:
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:45 am

Yeah, it's long overdue for me. I've always toyed with the idea of a pink guitar, but never acted on it. Plus maple + shell pink just sounds right.

Going to assess the body when it lands, either going to sand it down and do a proper respray, or just spray over the existing paint. I would prefer to do the first if possible
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:55 am

for sure, there's something strangely liberating about owning guitars in 'girly' colours. :lol:
i've been toying with the idea of respraying the SGV i got off Achtane in pink from head to toe... maybe one day.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:00 am

Hahahha indeed!! :doom:

I think the biggest question that I have right now is how I'm going to mount the bridge pickup to the guitar. I mean I'll find out whenever the body arrives, and I know it'll definitely take some routing. I'm a little concerned that if I keep the Teisco pickup at the same angle as the original Telecaster pickup, that it might bump/run into the cutoff plate. But I guess we will see. If need be I can probably make the bridge a tad shorter

All pink SGV would rule!!!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Moose » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:33 am

Generally I'm not a fan of shell pink, but I think it'll really work well with a maple fretboard and black pickguard.

I'd definitely say go with the two toggle switches for on/off, I've really enjoyed it on my strat. The actual movement of the switches themselves just feels so much nicer than a three-way switch, I don't know what it is, but it just works. Plus after only a couple hours with them, I'm now comfortable with using my ring, middle, and pinky fingers to change pickups whilst playing.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed, especially with the finish!

Also, no tone control = the best kind of tone control :joy:

Edit:

skullservant wrote:All pink SGV would rule!!!

Agreed!
Moose

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:51 am

Yeah, I think I'm going to get a blank telecaster plate from GFS and drill it out for the switches and single volume control with the jack. Or see if I can do it on a regular plate. We will see!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Obulus » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:38 am

Hell yes for shell pink! Probably favorite guitar color, although I don't own a shell pink guitar myself but I do have an SG that I want to refinish in shell pink if I have the time

backwardsvoyager wrote:i've been toying with the idea of respraying the SGV i got off Achtane in pink from head to toe... maybe one day.

This would make me very happy and you should most definitely do it!
Obulus

experienced
experienced

Postby dub » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:00 pm

You going to slant the Teisco pickup?

I'm thinking this might end up being the twangiest guitar that ever did twang.

On the subject of pink, idle thought:

MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Here's my 50th anniversary Jaguar. I think the Burgundy Mist Metallic with mint green scratchplate is about perfect....have thought about putting a tort guard on but would rather buy pedals :lol: about as close to pink I've gotten.
Attachments
50th jaguar.jpg
50th jaguar.jpg (37.1 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:24 pm

dub- yeah I'm thinking about slanting it if I can! If I can't, then on well. I just think it would be cool if I could!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Hyphen Nation » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 am

Uncle Grandfather wrote:Here's my 50th anniversary Jaguar. I think the Burgundy Mist Metallic with mint green scratchplate is about perfect....have thought about putting a tort guard on but would rather buy pedals :lol: about as close to pink I've gotten.

What do you think that? It's fucking sexy looking, but when I played one the pickups lack some of the vintage growl and the trem seemed a bit spongy [set up low spring tension]. That being said, I keep looking at it...
Hyphen Nation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby braaandooon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:40 am

skullservant wrote:Yeah, it's long overdue for me. I've always toyed with the idea of a pink guitar, but never acted on it. Plus maple + shell pink just sounds right.

Going to assess the body when it lands, either going to sand it down and do a proper respray, or just spray over the existing paint. I would prefer to do the first if possible

If you do decide to strip original finish, I'd recommend using citristrip. Love that stuff, non toxic and can be used inside the comfy confines of your own home. I refinish m1 garands to military spec on the side, and can say that this stuff makes life easy.

Hand sanding a poly finish is a pain in the ass, although a belt sander would do the trick, but don't trust them on projects were attention to detail is a must.

NOTE: Forgot that MIM fender bodies use polyester and not polyurethane, that shit sucks and would probably need somthing like methylene chloride(super stripper)
Last edited by braaandooon on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:04 am

Hyphen Nation wrote:What do you think that? It's fucking sexy looking, but when I played one the pickups lack some of the vintage growl and the trem seemed a bit spongy [set up low spring tension]. That being said, I keep looking at it...

I don't know why they didn't just do a reissue. And if this was a reissue of the 62 then I would be disappointed in the pickups, they are just too hot. But this is its own beast, sort of a pimped out Classic Player really. Its a quality instrument, i'll give fender big ups for putting together a flawless guitar in mine. I prefer the stock pups that came in my 65 avri Jaguar overall, they are much more dimensional, balanced and a lot less hot. Thats something i don't jive with, the stock pups in modern fenders are always too hot compared to vintage pups. A great thing about this trem is how easy it is to set up to your liking.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:45 am

braaandooon wrote:
If you do decide to strip original finish, I'd recommend using citristrip. Love that stuff, non toxic and can be used inside the comfy confines of your own home. I refinish m1 garands to military spec on the side, and can say that this stuff makes life easy.

Hand sanding a poly finish is a pain in the ass, although a belt sander would do the trick, but don't trust them on projects were attention to detail is a must.

NOTE: Forgot that MIM fender bodies use polyester and not polyurethane, that shit sucks and would probably need somthing like methylene chloride(super stripper)

Thanks for the tip dude. It's a Squier body, and already been painted over at least once or twice, so we will see what it looks like. I'm about to go pick it up actually!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects