Re: 6 Steel Grinder / Skully's Bass VI Build

Postby ryan summit » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 pm

dude that reverse jag is the shit
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Postby skullservant » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:35 pm

As far as a timeline goes, I'm not sure that I'll even be able to consider this until at least January or February of next year at this point
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Honestly, dude, after the first week or two of "holy shit I made a person and now I must keep this person alive" madness, it all settles into a routine. You'll probably have plenty of time to build for the first few months, since the baby will likely sleep all the time, and your wife will want to sleep any time the baby does. So, there's that to look forward to, at least.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Yeah, we will see! We will be living with my wife's parents for about a year in a half starting about 2 weeks after the baby is born. So it'll be baby being born into us immediately moving, so it's like a 1-2 punch.

I honestly don't see having any sort of disposable income in that timeframe either haha. Still have about $250 to go on the EGC, then I need to pick up a few small things like a speaker for my 2x12 and some stuff I told my wife I would buy her
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:36 pm

skullservant wrote:Yeah, we will see! We will be living with my wife's parents for about a year in a half starting about 2 weeks after the baby is born. So it'll be baby being born into us immediately moving, so it's like a 1-2 punch.

I honestly don't see having any sort of disposable income in that timeframe either haha. Still have about $250 to go on the EGC, then I need to pick up a few small things like a speaker for my 2x12 and some stuff I told my wife I would buy her

Wow, that's pretty much exactly what happened to us. Moved in with my grandpa, and 3 days later, baby time. We weren't even done unpacking.

It can suck living with parents (or in-laws) but it will be nice to have the help, I'm sure.

My grandpa is too old to really take care of our kid very long. Little guy wears him out.

Anyways, good luck with everything.

And remember, don't feel bad about spending a little money on yourself here and there. Consider it sanity insurance.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 am

skullservant wrote:Yeah, we will see! We will be living with my wife's parents for about a year in a half starting about 2 weeks after the baby is born. So it'll be baby being born into us immediately moving, so it's like a 1-2 punch.

Ouch! Moving house is one of the most stressful events on the planet. Add the arrival of a baby in the mix and it has the potential to burn you out big time. Then living with the in-laws can be taxing also. I know I've been there. Just take it as easy as possible doing it. Plan it out as thorough as you can and get as much help as you can. Don't be to proud to accept help. I'm sure there are some fellow fuzz lovers in your area willing to give you a hand.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby skullservant » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 am

Well, EGC is all paid for. Soooo, I'm think I'm going to start buying the smaller parts for this. Probably work backwards with this, and get the really cheap stuff first
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 am

First question- looking into a Stratocaster hardtail bridge for this build. Just curious which one to use. I don't want to break the bank, but I WOULD like something that would work well, and last.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:51 am

In just to say I like the idea and can't wait to see how it turns out.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby skullservant » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:25 am

Alright, drastic change in direction.

Going to use an Esquire Telecaster body that I got off ebay for cheap over the weekend for this project. It's stupid for me to have another standard scale guitar, so it'll be a Telecaster Esquire Bass VI

DC Kunkle 30.25" conversion neck
Pine Telecaster Esquire body
Black single ply pickguard
Cream Seymour Duncan Super Distortion in the bridge
Traditional Telecaster control plate
Series/Parallel/Split wiring on a traditional 3 way Telecaster switch with black hat
Volume, no tone
Wilkensen Bridge with brass compensated saddles (duh)

Still on the fence about string gauge.

I kind of still want to do that mahogany/transparent blue finish
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Zork » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Well, you might be interested in my Tele VI... ?

Great project you have here! Looking forward to see some pics.
Zork

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:28 pm

DOUBLE BRIDGE PICKUP HOLY SHIT. THAT RULES!!!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Moose » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:36 pm

skullservant wrote:DOUBLE BRIDGE PICKUP HOLY SHIT. THAT RULES!!!

:!!!:
Moose

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:03 pm

I usually hate pre-distressed hardware, but I didn't want a sheen or shine with the Bass VI hardware so I sanded it down with a fine sanding block

Mounted all of the hardware (but didn't wire it up yet) for the control plate. I figured I might as well add a tone circuit to this for the thumps, so I put it on a push/pull so I can take it out of the circuit by pulling up on the knob. I figured pulling up on the knob to engage the tone circuit would be more useful for me so that I don't accidentally introduce it to the output when I don't want it.

3 way switch is for split/series/parallel wiring on the Super Distortion

skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Ok that's gonna be awesome.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects