Lap steel build

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Lap steel build

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Well, I decided that I am definitely going to build a lap steel. I've never played one, but I want one. I could buy one of the $100 specials, but that's no fun. It is going to take me a while-- at least a couple of months-- and I'll try to detail as much of the process as I can.

I want to base it off of this, minus the pearloid. I figure the shape should be pretty easy for a beginner woodworker like me. I plan on making the bridge and nut out of aluminum, which I will be ordering next week. The pickup will be a GFS Minitron, which won't be in stock for about two months. I already received the tuners, which seem pretty nice.

Today, I got wood at a local shop (how's that for a twss setup?). Here it is, with a squirt of naptha to show the grain:

The big piece is Black Limba. The two potential fretboards are Canarywood in the front, and Jobillo in the back. I know virtually nothing about these woods, I just liked how they looked (and could afford them).

I'm not sure how I am going to do some things yet, mainly the fretboard, any binding, and the control plate. I have a few designs drawn for the bridge, but I'm not sure if I am able make any of them with the tools I have. Anyone have a mill...? For the fretboard, I think I am going to inlay it into the body a bit. I am thinking about making 1/8" fret slots, and inlaying some sort of fancy wood as the markers. I'm considering binding with some of this, since I think I have a router bit that will work to cut the channel. I still have no clue on the control plate. I might order another sheet of celluloid tortoise.

Anyway, if you guys are interested, I'll keep this post updated as I progress. :)

Mike
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Re: Lap steel build

Postby skullservant » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Interested to see it come together!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:52 pm

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:55 am

Chankgeez wrote::snax:

:snax: :snax:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby AxAxSxS » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:59 am

That's some nice looking wood!

TWSS

Will be cool to see this come together.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lapsteel » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:04 am

Nice!
Gonco for the board, canary for binding and fret markers.

Gonna be purdy!
lapsteel

experienced
experienced

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:59 pm

I've been working on some design stuff in Sketchup this weekend. I'm trying to come up with a plan that is workable with the tools I have. I also drew up a slot-cutting router jig that I will use to slot the fretboard (and any board up to 12" wide and 3/4" thick).

lapsteel wrote:Gonco for the board, canary for binding and fret markers.

That's pretty close to what I think I am going to do! I plan to use the jobillo for the fretboard, for the contrast. There will be enough black limba scraps leftover from the body to use for the fret markers. I am going to make a jig like this one to thickness-sand the scraps to 1/16", and inlay them into the slots. I'm still not sure on binding-- it might be too ambitious for my first project.

In the next few days, I will order some router bits for the woodwork, and some aluminum for the bridge/nut. I want to finalize my plan this week, and hopefully get to some template work next weekend. :thumb:

Mike
Mike

committed
committed

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Man-- holidays, family, and out of town guests keep getting in my way! I have made a bit of progress, though.

I have come up with three different bridge/nut designs. Today, I ordered the aluminum that I plan on using for them, and it should be here tomorrow.

The only other things I am missing before I get started are nice screws, and a few tools-- two router bits, a replacement sanding spindle, and a couple other small things.

Progress to come-- soon... ish...!
Mike

committed
committed

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects