Ridiculous bass/guitar doubleneck dronemonster project

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ridiculous bass/guitar doubleneck dronemonster project

Postby Obulus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Do it! I'm thinking it shouldn't be too difficult. I hope I'll have some time next week to breadboard some dronebox ideas!
Obulus

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Still excited!!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Obulus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Okay, I fiddled with the trem and tried to set it up. At first it didn't really stay in tune well, even in the locked position. But then I noticed that there was much more tension on the D-string compared to the others (to the extent that it was almost impossible to tune it up to pitch with the bridge tuners), so I figured that might have been a problem. Dropped the tuning a step such that there wasn't as much tension and it stayed in tune better after that. Still not perfect, but that may be due to the fact that tension was a little too low on the other strings after dropping them. So I guess it is very important to have the right string tension with this guitar. Then I set the tremolo up with the master tune knob and it stayed in tune much better in this position too now. Also not perfect, but for now I don't want to fiddle too much with it, get the rest of the project started and deal with getting the trem perfectly set up in the end!

I've also put a drone-box on the breadboard today, so now I just need to choose the part values I like best and the I'll be able to solder that fucker up! I may have to order some caps to try out in the noise generator though. I'm basing myself off the CMOS stuff on Beavisaudio: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/CMOS_Synthesizers/. Still thinking of adding some kind of BMP filter to it though.
Obulus

experienced
experienced

Postby trace » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Obulus wrote:And Trace, thanks for the insight about the R-trem! I hope I have some time tomorrow to try and set it up. Do you like the trem yourself? Does your guitar stay in tune well?

Sorry I missed this. I actually keep it locked most of the time and it stays in tune fine that way. When I do use the trem it stays in tune better than a strat or other non-locking trem but its not perfect enough to do crazy dives.
Does yours use double ball end strings or regular strings with a clamp at the nut? The steinbergers all use special double ball strings so if yours takes single ball strings maybe finding a set similar in gauge to the steinberger sets would help with the tension issue?

Looking forward to seeing more of this crazy thing! :snax:
trace

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects