Re: How hard is it to 'finish' a neck?

Postby Decibill » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:12 am

Word....can't wait to see more....
Decibill

committed
committed

Postby multi_s » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:04 am

ha finally one year later maybe this will get off the ground. got the unfinished neck but not much else. scrap from a table filling in as the body on this photo op:
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby AxAxSxS » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:00 am

FAHHHK dude, seal it and clear and polish it. that'd be sick as is.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:07 pm

tru-oil was mentioned previously, and i have to support that. i refinished my tele's neck... the difference between the original poly coat and the tru oil is ridiculous. it goes on easy, brings out the wood grain in the most glorious of fashions, feels GREAT when playing... i almost want to sand my hagstrom's neck just so i can tru-oil that! (although that finish feels fine)
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby multi_s » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:45 pm

AxAxSxS wrote:FAHHHK dude, seal it and clear and polish it. that'd be sick as is.

ya it looks not bad, but I think i will paint it a light green or maybe white. The neck is a little too flashy to mix with wood grain to my eyes. My friend is laminating some scrap maple to make the final body so i'll decide then, this piece is only about 1/2 inch thick that's in the photo and its just a very thin layer of the wood you see then ply? the rest of the way.

antennafarm wrote:tru-oil was mentioned previously, and i have to support that. i refinished my tele's neck... the difference between the original poly coat and the tru oil is ridiculous. it goes on easy, brings out the wood grain in the most glorious of fashions, feels GREAT when playing... i almost want to sand my hagstrom's neck just so i can tru-oil that! (although that finish feels fine)

Ya i'm going to give this tru-oil a shot, looks easy! Thanks for your input.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby multi_s » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:39 am

found another decent table in the trash so i routed the final? body for this last night while finishing up some ct5s. i finished the neck with tru oil a while back as suggested and it looks ok so Thanks for that suggestion! whatever the vaneer piece on the headstock is went a bit gnar though with the tru oil, so i might try to sand it down, but on the back of the neck it is great!
:!!!:
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 am

That looks amazing! Although, that stand-in body looked amazing too.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby multi_s » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:51 am

ya the first one looks better i think too haha. maybe i will try to cut another piece and glue it on the back of the stand in. i also want to see if i can stain the new one a bit darker, the wood had some finish on it but i guess i can sand it off. i have no clue about this shit.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:54 am

Yeah, it's all a matter of clean vs. dirty looking.

Don't know if they have any videos that might be helpful to you, but this channel has lots of great stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/user/stewartmacdonald
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby multi_s » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:28 am

Chankgeez wrote:Yeah, it's all a matter of clean vs. dirty looking.

Don't know if they have any videos that might be helpful to you, but this channel has lots of great stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/user/stewartmacdonald

ah very nice. thanks man! i found some dark ish stain locally at canadian tire, might look around a bit more before grabbing anything.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:33 am

:thumb:

Can't wait to see the finished axe. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:39 am

ya me neither. i just want to go through the process a few times, then try to do a body with this guy http://mitztakahashi.com/ , my friend who just moved his woodshop into the same building my shared space is in. this guy does some beautiful work, im just not that confident i can make a nice playing axe yet, so it seems like a waste of glam.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:46 am

Those knight coasters are pretty spiffy.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AxAxSxS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 am

I'm gonna start looking for tables in the trash haha
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:12 pm

ya im not a wood expert but the top half of the new body i think is some sort of hard wood, the bottom half looks like small strips of pine covered with a vaneer of something else,its definitely not a hardwood.

it's actually been a lot harder than i expected to find any sort of non mdf pieces in the trash but if you google "reclaimed guitars" or "reclaimed wood guitars" you can get pretty easily inspired to use just about anything.\
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects