· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Guitar tech, wiring, maintenance, projects, SOS calls, and more!
Post a reply

Re: Frankenstein's Lab! [SHOW YOUR PROJECTS THREAD]

Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Thanks
It weighs 10 lbs

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:06 pm

how many people do i have to kill to get you to do a spine to transplant into one of the Eastwood Wandre Soloists?

Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:29 pm

Ha, I think that would be a pretty crazy undertaking.
It would be way easier to build it from scratch.

Here is the 12 string project. The saddles were very tedious to make.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:44 pm

did you machine each as an individual piece, or do a bar in each color and then divide them?

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:21 pm

I did like 2 at a certain dia (IE E and E...I think OD was like 0.392" ID 0.378" or something)) (I took the measurements from a 9.5 inch radius offset bridge) on a lathe then moved over to the larger dia (A and B OD 0.368" ID 0.350", etc...to match the saddles to the fretboard radius), then over to the larger dia (D and G) then had to drill and tap on my mill, then cut them off the rod with a slitting saw on the mill, it wound up being a lot of setups for these stupid little things, then do it all over in the different material. The lathe I'm using doesn't have a digital readout like my mill so reading the dials and keeping track of things gives me a headache. I initially made the rod with the different dia saddles on it out of stainless steel but the slitting saw couldn't make it through the steel so I made them out of brass and alum. I kind of want to redo the bass E, A and D for stainless. I think I could slice them on the lathe.

I would have just bought a TOM 12 string bridge if I could have found one that was affordable, they all seem like they are 150 bucks for one with 12 saddles.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 am

i can kind of relate to wood work--i can sort of do that--but this kind of metalworking is so far beyond my ken that my mind boggles.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:53 pm

dubkitty wrote:i can kind of relate to wood work--i can sort of do that--but this kind of metalworking is so far beyond my ken that my mind boggles.

Same, for me there's no outcome that would result in anything other than tiny metal things being thrown across the room.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:16 pm

probably out of frustration in my case.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:33 pm

That's what I meant :lol:

Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:48 pm

That bass is beautiful.

Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:43 pm

I dunno if there's a general question thread, but lipstick pickups are rail-style pickups, right? Like the magnetic field is even across the whole thing?

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:04 pm

I think so, wrapped bar magnet

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Oh, nice. Thanks :thumb:

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:47 am

Repo ur killing it

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:21 pm

Love'n dat pink pickgaurd!!!!~

update...

I changed my mind on the 7 string build and while the mockingthunderbird shape is neat, I want to go back to the original koa body [I've actually had this chunk of wood for 20 years, my parents got it for me when they took a vacation to kauai. I think I cut out the shape 12 years ago or something..] I was going to use at the start... [I originally was going to build an 8 string around the body and was going to build my own neck but life and stuff happened and other projects happened] So i canceled my brass bridge order for an aluminum one for more body tonez. Also scored a old bartolini 7 string bridge pickup [if you are doing a single pickup bass you ALWAYS want the bridge pickup of the set because it will be louder and bassyier :thumb: ] from that Dickens guy's sig model, I also got a Bartolini pre :thumb: Now I waiting for the bridge before I do a final layout because I want it as close to the end of the body as I can to get the neck as far in as I can get it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 4.15.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 4.15.10 PM.png (373.95 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
Post a reply