Dub's Wacky Project Guitars Thread--we're baaaaaack

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Dub's Wacky Project Guitars Thread--we're baaaaaack

Postby dubkitty » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:33 pm

i got into the Alvarez over the weekend. the first thing i discovered is that my arm won't fit through the soundhole to let me work on the end block. it's not chub, it's that there's no good angle in that wouldn't involve breaking my forearm. so i started cogitating on that while preparing to install the pickup. since i wasn't going to reuse the plastic endpin i went for brute force and wiggled it out with my ViseGrips. it wasn't glued in; the shank had diamond-shaped protrusions that got compressed inside the hole.

Alvy_3.jpg
i see London, i see France, i see my sofa...
Alvy_3.jpg (71.64 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

now the worrisome bit started. i'm not a big fan of drilling into guitars because something often goes wrong. in this case i didn't have an intermediate bit to ease through between the 1/2" drill bit and the next smallest one and as a result the hole walked off a little right of center. i taped all around the drilling area to help prevent chipping of the finish.

Alvy_5.jpg
Alvy_5.jpg (79.54 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

Alvy_7.jpg
oops.
Alvy_7.jpg (42.41 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby dubkitty » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:11 pm

it'll be OK when it's installed. a decorative washer covers a multitude of sins. the hole is bunged out to the right but is the same height so i can shove the jack over to the original path and bolt it down.

Alvy_7a.jpg
Alvy_7a.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

the endpin jack is a neat little device. it can fit entirely through the hole in the end block when disassembled. i figured out that with this i can solder the jack onto the end of the pickup cable, pass it out through the hole in the end block with a nut in place where it'll contact the end block as seen in the photo, screw the washer, nut, and strap button on the outside end and voila. i'll pass a cable through the hole from outside, plug it into the jack, and winkle it out like an ice fisherman.

the strap button is really clever...it's larger than the retaining nut and has a groove hollowed out around the underside so it screws right down on the jack, rendering the nut invisible.

Alvy_4.jpg
a very well-thought-out device.
Alvy_4.jpg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

while i was working i noticed how rough the fingerboard was compared to my nicer guitars. the last time i worked on this guitar i sanded/polished the bridge so it looks good, but didn't feel up to tackling the fretboard because i knew from doing the Musima neck that it's a long, exacting process. but i have the strings off so i can install the pickup so they aren't in the way, and i figure this is the last time i'll work on this guitar in my lifetime because there's nothing left to do so i might as well make it as pleasant as possible to play and look at. i'm using the same process as before, 800 grit followed by 1200. i could go to 2000 but that seems pointless when there'll be strings scraping on it. one hangup was being able to keep things even near the frets, where the wood ends up less smooth. solution: wrap a bit of sandpaper around the blade of a butter knife with a straight top edge. once i saw the difference i knew doing the sanding was the right choice.

Alvy_9.jpg
Alvy_9.jpg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

i work each space until i can't feel any irregularities when i run my finger across it. yet another project thing where i tell lazy me that the end result will be worth the effort.

i'll finish the fingerboard before installing the pickup. if i put in the pickup first i'll want to restring it to test the pickup, and there goes my window of opportunity to nice things up. this should be done in a couple of days, but might be delayed...my girlfriend is in the hospital which is only 7 minutes from my apartment so i've been spending a lot of time there. having work to do has helped me not to stress, but having burned out after working on the Kondor for 14 hours and been fried for a couple of days subsequently i have to pace myself and not get obsessive. i really like the part in doing this stuff when it becomes clear my nefarious Rube Goldberg plots are actually going to work.

once this is done i'll fix up the Kondor so everything works well. i know exactly what to do now so i should be able to knock it off reasonably easily. i have to contact the people about the Duo Sonic pickguards, and really should order the new one soon because it's about the easiest mod i can do. even though i have to rout to correct the bridge pickup position, that Dremel cutting bit should go through basswood like Sherman through Georgia. it's possible that i'll start on the Gretsch after the Kondor if the DS pickguard hasn't arrived, but i'm putting it off because it'll be particularly complicated in that i gutted the electronics and have to rewire everything. and i may need to drop everything to take care of my girl. i'll update when there's something significant. and the Hopf parts have been sitting in US Customs for a week. <sings> someday my neck will come...</song>

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:22 pm

Wow, really coming together. The difference in the sanded fingerboard is crazy. All my guitars look like the right hand side of that picture :lol: I've never done anything more than clean, bit of a go with fine steel wool and oil, maybe it's worth the time to really do this and make them look nice. :idk:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:59 am

after an incredibly long wait, the Hopf parts finally arrived, but not without some drama...the Post Office tried to deliver them on Saturday but apparently the substitute driver didn't have the correct code for the lobby door so they just showed up as undeliverable on Informed Delivery. so i went to the PO yesterday morning to inquire. i was told the my packages--three in total--were "with the carrier" and to come back tomorrow if they didn't show up. we got no Monday delivery at all. so i went over this morning and bugged them till they found my stuff. it took a fucking month to get here. from Germany. what kind of non-First World shit is this? anyway, the boxes are in my car now, but i won't really get to them till tomorrow because i'm going straight from work to Becky's tonight.

i've been really busy and/or tired from being so busy so i haven't gotten any further up the fretboard of the 12-string than the third fret. i'll get back to it soon because i want to finish it so i'll have a new capability, but it's tedious, exacting work. wound up going up to 1500 with the sanding because the heavier grits tend to hollow out space next to the frets but 1500 can level them off. turns out i don't have to sand the Lead II's fretboard after all; despite years of using various fretboard conditioners i'd never actually used lemon oil because i never saw it in the shops, but picked some up the last time i got strings and it helped more than either of the preparations i'd tried before. it went from gritty to silky, which is still a bit more texture than i'd prefer but which is comfortable. two rounds of lemon oil > 8 or 10 rounds of normie product.

most of my guitars aren't as bad as the Alvy as far as i can tell, even the cheaper ones though i should do a survey. the Squier and Epiphone boards have never been a problem, and the cheap Gretsch boards are as good as a new Gibson, no joke. i really think they decided that nobody was going to play anything above the 10th fret on the Alvy because the board on the upper frets is just awful. but then, who plays that high on a 12-string other than me, Andy Bell, and Michael Hedges now that Croz is dead? it was never meant to be a nice guitar--it was remaindered for a bit over $300 on MF--but i'm making it into one.

once the 12er is sorted, i'll either do the Kondor or the Hopf. neither should be terribly complicated. i now understand what the Kondor needs, and most of the Hopf parts actually go with the Twisty II body without fiddling. i have the correct neck and bridge, and just need to swap over the electronics from the Telstar pickguard i picked up along with the neck. the only complication is that Schaller put the electronics in literal cans that may be a bitch to get off the aluminum pickguards to which they appear to be welded or super-soldered. it'll be an adventure. if i have to i'll just saw the fuckers off.

haven't dealt with the Duo Sonic pickguard situation yet. god knows i don't want to deal with the post office any more right now.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 pm

I unpacked the Hopf parts this morning when i got home. the neck is in really good condition; it has a bit of fret wear which must have happened in storage because the neck's never been drilled for its mounting bolts. the fingerboard is smooth and will probably be perfect after a round or 2 of lemon oil. tuners are stiff and have a bit of play but should be OK. i really like this style of West German neck made up of 2 mm strips of (assumedly) maple laminated lengthwise. one assumes it'll be as solid as a Bavarian rock.

neck.jpg
neck.jpg (32.87 KiB) Viewed 769 times

the pickguard/pickups are a bit more complicated. the new pickups are larger than the old ones, and the 3-screw mounting bracket pattern is also broader. i'll file the apertures out and drill new holes. i think i'm just going to swap the pickups...the electronics on the Telstar guard are laid out differently than the Twisty so the can isn't compatible with the body routing and it still has the multi-pin German connector. the switch paddles and knob are in much better condition so i'll move those over too.

pickups.jpg
pickups.jpg (137.57 KiB) Viewed 769 times

i'm still amazed not only that i found a correct neck, but that i found it years ago--what was that, 2020?--and it was still available when i looked in February, and has the tuners and logo and everything. i'm gonna assume that Musikkeller doesn't let Google bots crawl the site. i'm going to let it sit for awhile until i sort the Alvy and the Kondor; maybe i'll flip a coin to decide whether to do the Hopf or the Gretsch first. both have pickups i love and haven't had before. i played the Double Jet a bit before i disassembled it and the TV Jones Filtertrons are as good as people say they are.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects