Anyone using alternate tunings for Bass VI?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Anyone using alternate tunings for Bass VI?

Postby Zork » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:59 am

I just discovered a new trick with my bass VI by tuning it in fourths and placing a capo on the second fret for the higher four strings only. With open strings I have it now tuned EAeadg, so it's a perfect blend of bass and guitar, but when fretting the strings I have the awesome symmetric fingerboard of all fourths which is surprisingly easy to wrap my head around. It's a game changer for me (and you should definitely try it) but I'm curious about you sharing your alternate vi tunings and their advantages. Go!
Zork

committed
committed

Re: Anyone using alternate tunings for Bass VI?

Postby qersty » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:37 pm

that's a cool tuning! i have been into partial capoing stuff too and from. Have you considered EAEAEA (or EAEAEB) tuning? I dont play bass vi but it's in the ballpark of what you're doing and extends the range of the bass by a 4th, would be cool with partial capo stuff too. and it droones!
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Anyone using alternate tunings for Bass VI?

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:53 pm

Mine won't apply to most of you, as my VI has-a GK-3 synth pickup on it as well, which allows me to +/- 24 individual strings on a per-patch basis.

I has a GK-3 on a Jaguar as well, and the irony is that I have patches for the VI that make it go an octave up, and on the Jag go one down.

Basically it's an "anything goes" without worrying about string tension, and can also blend in 'standard" tuning that way too with the magnetic ouitput.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar and Bass