Phil Jones thoughts?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Phil Jones thoughts?

Postby JTurbide » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Might be looking to get a bass once again and would like to have a small portable combo for it. Any opinions on Phil Jones stuff? It seems super light and small with a great sound.

Not the cheapest option but I am thinking of getting something like a cub pro or double four for home only practice and if I ever get a jam space again I could get a bass cab and let it there and just bring one of these tiny combo, and bring it back home after.

The slightly bigger suitcase compact looks fantastic but a bit too expensive right now I think.

Any thoughts? Can they handle fuzz and distortion well enough? I mostly play clean but a bit of drive is always fun to throw in. Ahould I just go with a Rumble or bass Crush, ampeg etc instead? I guess even the 70-75W double four could be loud enough for jamming with friends through a 2x10 cab or something like that. I played through a little rumble 100 at some point and it was plenty

Edit: the double four has no speaker out so I'd probably go with a cub pro
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Re: Phil Jones thoughts?

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:53 am

Never tried it but always been intrigued. Sorry :/

I love a small amp :lol: (I am sorry for being lame ILF)

Can't really go wrong with the rumbles, crush or the tiny ampegs. They do the job for practice and quiet jamming!
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:24 pm

also can never go wrong with a peavey, though they're rarely light ;)

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JTurbide » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:08 pm

Yeah thinking about it, I'd probably use the built-in drive (not available on PJB's) so maybe rumble 100, ashdown studio 12 or something like that would make more sense for me
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby MaxMaps » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:38 pm

JTurbide wrote:Might be looking to get a bass once again and would like to have a small portable combo for it. Any opinions on Phil Jones stuff? It seems super light and small with a great sound.

Not the cheapest option but I am thinking of getting something like a cub pro or double four for home only practice and if I ever get a jam space again I could get a bass cab and let it there and just bring one of these tiny combo, and bring it back home after.

The slightly bigger suitcase compact looks fantastic but a bit too expensive right now I think.

Any thoughts? Can they handle fuzz and distortion well enough? I mostly play clean but a bit of drive is always fun to throw in. Ahould I just go with a Rumble or bass Crush, ampeg etc instead? I guess even the 70-75W double four could be loud enough for jamming with friends through a 2x10 cab or something like that. I played through a little rumble 100 at some point and it was plenty

The one thing I don't like about bass equipment is that the amplification is really bland - Phil Jones, Burgintino, Agulair, in my option are all in the same class of bass amplification. A LOT of options to dial in your bass tone but REALLY clean as in everyone will be able to hear you if you miss a note - Its a nice forum factor but I was never a real fan ( and for the price) - it does take pedals tho!

If I was looking at bass amps, Ampeg is really hard to beat - when I was out gigging I used a Ampeg B2R - it was 500 watts, took pedals well and shook trees.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:03 pm

I've heard a few Phil Jones combos live and been disappointed in their ability to project, though that could have been a fault of the owner/eq/room/etc.

On the other hand I have heard someone using a Rumble combo with a full band and it sounded really good, but the same may apply.

If I was buying another bass combo for small gigs my go to is always Markbass, but a Rumble (or TC Electronic BG250) would do if low cost was important.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:09 pm

MaxMaps wrote:
JTurbide wrote:Might be looking to get a bass once again and would like to have a small portable combo for it. Any opinions on Phil Jones stuff? It seems super light and small with a great sound.

The one thing I don't like about bass equipment is that the amplification is really bland - Phil Jones, Burgintino, Agulair, in my option are all in the same class of bass amplification. A LOT of options to dial in your bass tone but REALLY clean as in everyone will be able to hear you if you miss a note - Its a nice forum factor but I was never a real fan ( and for the price) - it does take pedals tho!

If I was looking at bass amps, Ampeg is really hard to beat - when I was out gigging I used a Ampeg B2R - it was 500 watts, took pedals well and shook trees.

It’s all about the sound you want.. a lot of guys like their electric basses to sound like a acoustic guitar and that type of amp excels at that unless you spend some time eqing or add an extra tone shaping box.. on the other hand those same guys that like modern sounding amps hate ampegs for th same reason :lol: and some people sound good through amps that you hate… like eden.. Mike Watt used them forever, always sounded great… ever time I’d plug into one I’d have the bass control on 10 with the treble on zero and be complaining it had no low lows :lol:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:27 pm

Thanks for your input everyone. I'll probably hunt down a more traditional "rock" setup. Found a GK MB210-II for cheap locally. If the guy decides to bring it to me I'll grab it (he already told me he could but I guess he won't for a few days, with the holidays and all). If that doesn't work out I might look for a rumble 100 or maybe even go for a head/cab setup if I can find a good 2x10 or something similar for a good price.

Edit: got the GK, waiting for my bass to really try it out but I tested it with my guitars to make sure it works fine. Should be good enough. Does not seem to have gain/overdrive at all tho so I'll probably end up getting a pedal for that
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:50 am

Pretty common in bass amps, not a lot have much dirt (and those that do it might not be dirt you love). Glad you got something, those are cool. Enjoy it! :!!!:

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby qersty » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:18 am

JT, jsyk I would love your guitar rig as a bass rig
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JTurbide » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:36 am

qersty wrote:JT, jsyk I would love your guitar rig as a bass rig

Thanks! Yeah the sansamp psa and/or hilbish through carvin poweramp is great for bass but I don't want to blow up my hiwatt cab's speakers and unfortunately it does not seem like the GK can be used as a cab only. Maybe I could get out of one of the hilbish (or sansamp) fx loop and into the GK input tho :idea: :idk: That way I can use them basically like everyone use their preamp pedals.

If not (which I doubt) I cab still use pedals like the blackhawk mithrandir but yeah the hilbish fx loop to GK preamp sound like it would be really cool. Also the GK on its own is probably actually pretty good for when I felel like playing clean.

Btw I had the hilbisb for sale for a while now and yesterday I stumbled on some stoner rock albums on yt (I rarely listen to that genre these days) and figured I try the ol hilbish again. After a few minutes I removed the ad. Keeping it! It is so good at that Sleep/stoner/doom type of tone! :joy:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby qersty » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:43 am

I thought hiwatts had 200w-ers in em? Hilbish into a GK sounds like it would be a killer tone tho. The few times i used my guitarists old hilbish on bass it sounded killer!
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JTurbide » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:51 am

Yeah no problem power-wise as I've got 2 Wizards and 2 Govs. But these are guitar speakers, throwing bass at them might fuck em up because of the lows. 4 speakers, shipped gets pretty expensive so I'd rather not risk it and send bass through the GK and guitar through the carvin DCM and Hiwatt

Edit: just tried through the GK with my strat (while I wait for my bass tovbe delivered) andnit works great. Quite the practical setup with my pedalboard going through the "both channels" input, then fx loop for channel A goes straight to the GK (for bass), fx loop from channel B goes to quadraverb and then back, master out (which only receives signal from channel B, since channel a fx return sees nothing) then goes to DCM and Hiwatt cab (for guitar). I can then simply use the hilbish footswitch when I switch instruments.

I just have some re-plugging to do if I want to go back to my stereo hiwatt (SMS CTP and Sansamp into carvin dcm left and right channels). But I am having fun rn in drop D playinf stoner riffs so I'll leave in like it is for a little while... Ahh the joys of having so many configurations possible :lol:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Return to Guitar and Bass