Speaker elements?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Speaker elements?

Postby Jero » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:46 am

qersty wrote:one would be hard pressed to decline smoking a few cones

iseewhatyoudidthere

:snax:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:21 am

I had a Pyle driver speaker that was rebuilt by PMR with a hemp cone. I really liked it, it definitely sounded different in a good way I'm not sure how to describe. However I sold it and went with a Tonkerlite to save on weight for the combo it was in. You could check out PMR speakers on revere or their website.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:59 am

yeah ive seen a few recones where they put a differnt cone in. im wondering if you could do anything more or like just replace the dust cap. apparently paper vs aluminum can make a speaker go from boring to unbearable highs
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby John » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:31 pm

Speaker choice is an often overthought process. The most important factor in the speaker themselves is the correct matching to the amp. Know how much breakup you want, get something that won't blow when you go full power, and if you're putting them in something with more than one speaker, consider if you want variety. The next most important thing is the cab (actually might be more important since that shapes the speaker's sound). Open, closed, ported? There aren't many front-ported guitar cabs aside from those Dietz style cabs that get used for both guitar and bass (think Shellac and their followers), and I think it's an underrated design. I have a couple of old Randall Switchmasters that have big front ports, and they are chunk as fuck!
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:54 am

John wrote:Speaker choice is an often overthought process. The most important factor in the speaker themselves is the correct matching to the amp. Know how much breakup you want, get something that won't blow when you go full power, and if you're putting them in something with more than one speaker, consider if you want variety. The next most important thing is the cab (actually might be more important since that shapes the speaker's sound). Open, closed, ported? There aren't many front-ported guitar cabs aside from those Dietz style cabs that get used for both guitar and bass (think Shellac and their followers), and I think it's an underrated design. I have a couple of old Randall Switchmasters that have big front ports, and they are chunk as fuck!

Well matching the speaker and amp isnt that hard and you really dont have to do it if you know what you're doing. If you put importance in cabinet design choice of speaker is equally as important as the box it is put in as it is engineered to match the parameters of that speaker. A speaker still has some characteristics that change inbetween each one and another, especially in guitar mids. If this was not a concern would I not just have gotten a marshall cab or something with v30s and gotten over it?
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:55 am

tho yeah i think i should try and get a tl806. more "guitar" speakers is just a headache and i found a place where you can order them with ampeg grille cloth at a pretty ok price :thumb:
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass