· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Guitar and bass lounge at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Looking for H pickups for an offset

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:41 pm

I may or may not have ordered yet another offset, this one in HH configuration. I'm thinking I want some variety from the configurations I already have, and looking for some recommendations. My first thought was a pair or WRHB to get with the full sonic youth blaster vibe, but then something stupidly heavy like a Nazgul sounded like something fun to try out. It's going to be downtuned, probably to DADGAD and setup with 11s. What do you think?

Current guits:
‘10 Fender Japan Telecaster Custom ‘62 (Fralin standard T set)
‘12 Fender AVRI Telecaster Custom ‘72 (The Creamery classic ‘71 WRHB neck & custom T bridge)
‘13 Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster (Hepcat classic JM set)
‘17 Squier Affinity Jazzmaster HH (Lace Alumitone humbuckers with ring)
‘98 Yamaha Pacifica 112 (Bare Knuckle True Grit humbucker, kinda like an SH4)

Re: Looking for H pickups for an offset

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:33 pm

So.. you already have 2 "normal" bucker type guitars and you have one with a WRHB in one of them.. :idk:
My current faves are the SD Black winter and the TV Jones Power'Tron Plus... very different things.. I will say that the one "issue" I have with over powered pickups like the black winter [16k] is that they can over power some pedals if your volume is all the way up.. but.. if you want LOWZ they are pretty neat, and clean they are actually nice :thumb:

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:44 am

The SD Black winter seems cool, but the output is probably too high for some of my pedals at 16k. They have the Pegasus (alnico 5) and Nazgul (ceramic) rated respectively at 12,5k and 13.6k which might be more manageable and in a similar alley.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:49 am

The DC resistance is not necessarily a good measure of the output of a pickup.

</Besserwisser>

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:10 pm

It is true that high output pickups can just hate some pedals that can't handle the input though. I get this with one of my guitars.

Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:19 am

I have been interested in the dimarzio air norton. it's supposed to be a lower output pickup that is good for heavier gainy sounds.

These are awesome too but it's more of a midrange rock sound. I have the neck in my tele. https://reverb.com/item/40759711-gibson-bill-lawrence-hb-r-hb-l-1989-chrome

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:20 pm

Go full kook and get foil buckers!

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:58 pm

i have some McNelly Autumn HBs in an offset. they sound really nice! full range, but not too hot that they cause issues with any of my pedals.
Last edited by voerking on Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:45 pm

I've been tempted to put some Dirty Fingers (or reissues) in my bucker-equipped Jaguar.
Post a reply