I guess I'm a fat-fingered weakling

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: I guess I'm a fat-fingered weakling

Postby dubkitty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am

are you sure it's a conversion? Fender was selling MIM Duos with 22.7" necks in the 90s--first as Fender, than under the Squier marque--and were not building 24" Duos at that time.

you'd need a 24" neck, not 24.75"...24.75" would require more bridge saddle/string length adjustment to intonate properly than any guitar bridge i'm aware of provides. even with the long-ass screws on your guitar you'd end up backing a saddle into the bridge plate and still being sharp. i don't even think you could get away with it using a cut-down Tele bridge.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby PeterBregman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:42 pm

dubkitty wrote:are you sure it's a conversion? Fender was selling MIM Duos with 22.7" necks in the 90s--first as Fender, than under the Squier marque--and were not building 24" Duos at that time.

you'd need a 24" neck, not 24.75"...24.75" would require more bridge saddle/string length adjustment to intonate properly than any guitar bridge i'm aware of provides. even with the long-ass screws on your guitar you'd end up backing a saddle into the bridge plate and still being sharp. i don't even think you could get away with it using a cut-down Tele bridge.

I'm pretty sure based on the research and measurements I've done, but I could definitely be wrong. From what I understand, It's the 22.7" neck that's the conversion neck - NOT the original 24" neck (or the 22.5" necks). Guitars with 24" necks - Mustangs, some Duo's etc, CANNOT be changed. The 22.7" neck on the other hand, is a conversion neck (measure a standard strat/tele from the 2nd fret to the bridge). People have put full 25.5" necks on the 90's Duo's, and they work fine. That wouldn't work with a Mustang (hence the whole Jag-Stang neck thing). I don't know of anyone who has used a 24.75" Warmoth *conversion* neck (note: NOT a standard 24.75" neck) on a 22.7" Duo yet, but they should be all in the same 25.5" scale...just with different numbers of frets.

I haven't actually done this yet though...so caveat emptor.
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Postby frodog » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:07 pm

PeterBregman wrote:You all know more about guitars than I do, and I'd appreciate some advice.

I've got two guitars at the moment - a G&L Legacy, ... [snip]

School me in guitars for fat-fingered weaklings.

I do not know much about guitars at all, Peter, so jumping over the details here. I'm also not a strong-fingered person but my digits are thin. We come in all sizes as humanoids. Unfortunately we still do not have four arms so we can play two guitars at once. When cybernetic augmentation is within reach that's definitely what I'll go for.

The reason I'm jumping in is because I was smitten by a G&L Legacy Tribute I saw yesterday, used and priced pretty fairly. It's a discontinued (I think) natural (ash?) body with tortoise guard, rosewood fretboard and three single coils (aftermarket Tone Riders). I don't know if will still be there in the near future, but for a trem-curious strat lover that doesn't have one, is this a guitar to heavily consider? I mainly play an '08 SG Special, but not unfamiliar with Fenders.

I (maybe irrationally and part because of looks) want this guitar but yeah, guess I'm just unsure if it would really be a good fit for me weight- and playability-wise.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:11 pm

they're well regarded, but i don't know anyone who's owned one. my questions would be "how much does it weigh?" and "does the tremolo suit you?" ash guitars are a total crapshoot as far as weight...i've seen Fenders which were quite reasonable, but have also played the infamously dense Peavey T-40 which might as well have been one of those granite guitars like the one Roy Buchanan had. i have no knowledge whatsoever about the trem, how well it works, or how adjustable it is. of course, if you don't use the tremolo it doesn't matter. but i've never heard anybody complain about one. like pau ferro, this is a situation where the materials don't have the consistency we've become accustomed to in recent years. the other consideration is that the tonal characteristics of ash may not suit you. i don't get on with ash guitars at all, finding them too brittle and toppy...combine me and a ash Telecaster and watch out for your spectacles and glassware. it sounds like you can actually check it out in person, so why the heck not?

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby PeterBregman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:30 pm

frodog wrote:
PeterBregman wrote:You all know more about guitars than I do, and I'd appreciate some advice.

I've got two guitars at the moment - a G&L Legacy, ... [snip]

School me in guitars for fat-fingered weaklings.

I do not know much about guitars at all, Peter, so jumping over the details here. I'm also not a strong-fingered person but my digits are thin. We come in all sizes as humanoids. Unfortunately we still do not have four arms so we can play two guitars at once. When cybernetic augmentation is within reach that's definitely what I'll go for.

The reason I'm jumping in is because I was smitten by a G&L Legacy Tribute I saw yesterday, used and priced pretty fairly. It's a discontinued (I think) natural (ash?) body with tortoise guard, rosewood fretboard and three single coils (aftermarket Tone Riders). I don't know if will still be there in the near future, but for a trem-curious strat lover that doesn't have one, is this a guitar to heavily consider? I mainly play an '08 SG Special, but not unfamiliar with Fenders.

I (maybe irrationally and part because of looks) want this guitar but yeah, guess I'm just unsure if it would really be a good fit for me weight- and playability-wise.

If you're cool with 25.5" scales and not afraid of a slightly heavier guitar (G&L's all seem to be kinda heavy), they I say go for it. Honestly, the one I had played beautifully. The floating trem is one of the best I've ever used, and the bass-cut knob is genius. I decided to upgrade to locking tuners and a graphtech nut, which made the tuning 100% stable at all times. If I could get along with the scale length and didn't mind the weight, I'd still have it.
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Postby frodog » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:55 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Price dropped by 10eur today lol, though it would still be around 500 with shipping. Yes, it's a good distance away so I can't try it unfortunately. But it it would be nice to have a solid, pretty, trem-equipped S-guitar. I really like the tone controls too.

Anyway, had to take my cat to the vet recently (nothing big) so I won't be buying it soon. Kinda hoping it will sell before then so I don't have to think about it.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:44 am

dub wrote:Also, putting 9's on a shortscale. A sign of the unhinged.

Tonight I joined the Unhinged Club. :D

I put 9's on my Duo Sonic.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeterBregman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:47 pm

Lurker13 wrote:

You must have really high action. Even with heavy-bottom 11's on my (22.7") Duo Sonic, they feel real floppy. Don't get me wrong, I like how floppy they are, but 9's? Seems like that would be buzz-city.
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Postby Lurker13 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:49 pm

PeterBregman wrote:
Lurker13 wrote:

You must have really high action. Even with heavy-bottom 11's on my (22.7") Duo Sonic, they feel real floppy. Don't get me wrong, I like how floppy they are, but 9's? Seems like that would be buzz-city.

I'm still working on it. It's needed new strings and a setup since I got it. The three unwound strings became noticeably higher than the three wound strings as you went up the neck, and overall, the action was way too high. It's kind of a crude bridge, so I'm still going to be tweaking it over the coming days to eliminate fret buzz and get everything just right. I would have put 10's on it but I watched this video made by a luthier who mentions he will be restringing his client's Duo Sonic with 9's during a setup.

I hope you're having as much fun with yours as I am with mine. It's a fun little rock machine. :joy:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeterBregman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:05 am

Lurker13 wrote:
PeterBregman wrote:I hope you're having as much fun with yours as I am with mine. It's a fun little rock machine. :joy:

Totally. I really love the simplicity of it, and now that I have it dialed in, the tone and playability is seriously great - better than a lot of >$1000 guitars I've played.

I can't speak for the reissues, but I've heard good things. If you can't get the 9's to sit right, you might be better off trying 10's. Or, you could tuning up a half-step or whole-step to increase the tension, which could be cool. Maybe F-B-E-A-C#-F tuning would unlock some new creativity.
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Postby Lurker13 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:43 am

PeterBregman wrote:
Lurker13 wrote:
PeterBregman wrote:I hope you're having as much fun with yours as I am with mine. It's a fun little rock machine. :joy:

Totally. I really love the simplicity of it, and now that I have it dialed in, the tone and playability is seriously great - better than a lot of >$1000 guitars I've played.

I can't speak for the reissues, but I've heard good things. If you can't get the 9's to sit right, you might be better off trying 10's. Or, you could tuning up a half-step or whole-step to increase the tension, which could be cool. Maybe F-B-E-A-C#-F tuning would unlock some new creativity.

That alternate tuning is an interesting idea, but my first inclination is to add a little relief to the neck. I straightened it because I normally prefer a straight neck, but better to be pragmatic than dogmatic, so we'll see what happens.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:14 pm

i use .009s on all the electrics save the Jazzmaster which really needs more string magnetism for those huge flat wide pickups, but 9s on the 22.5 Duo Sonic was just absurd. it was hard to play chords in tune because the looseness of the strings meant they deflected more when pressed to the fret and thus notes would go sharp unpredictably. i could totally bend off the side of the fretboard like Albert King, though.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:01 am

OP i feel you so much. Short scales are the best. I have a mim duo-sonic (the orange. 2017?) and it is the best feeling guitar ever. also the neck pickup position is like way better than on a strat, i guess closer to and SG. It doesn't sound super bassy bluesey like strats do. I don't really vibe with the strat I have now tho. I guess it is more with the wide and thin neck (and crappy fretjob) more than the scale lenght. I find it fucked up though that i like tiny guitars as a bassist :lol:
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass