Recommend me a pickup!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Recommend me a pickup!

Postby sylnau » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:27 am

Give McNelly Stagger Swagger a try. They are humbucker size singlecoil with no hum.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 am

I'm not convinced you've read the thread. Your suggestion is inappropriate given what I want from a pickup. Also, I already bought a pickup. :lol:
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby sylnau » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm

To be honnest, I havent read everything.

So I'd suggest a F150.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby TraceItalian » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:30 pm

I'm not a huge humbucker fan, but I loved the Fralin Big Singles, and pretty much every review I've seen and heard of Fralin pickups has been great. Lollar, Creamery, and Novak all make some creative versions of humbuckers too.
TraceItalian

committed
committed

Postby Phosphene Audio » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:45 am

VREEEEVROOOOOW wrote:Here's what I want to improve on the current pickups:
* Muddy—even non-distorted into a JC it's real hard to hear any nuance that's clearly there acoustically
* Mid-heavy—the DFA of my DADFAD are much louder more or less no matter what I do, especially the F
* It seems like the frequency range is rather low.

What I want in new pickups:
* Much more definition than my current pickups. I wanna play those cool licks I pull of acoustically with even more open chords—e.g. closing only one string, and, you know, actually being able to hear that note would be nice.
* A very rounded and evenly distributed sound, but tending somewhat towards the warm side, like Nick Drake's acoustic sound.
* High frequency range.

Basically I just want my guitar to sound as similar as possible through my JC as played acoustically, because it sounds gorgeous acoustically, smokes all other solidbodies that I've played extensively.

(Should note that I have pretty much no clue about pickups whatsoever. I mean, I know how they work and so on, but I don't know anything about *specific* pickups.)

You might like the Bill/Becky Lawrence L500C(or R) or 4 or 2.8 H version of the L90

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/l500

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/l-90

Most folks know the hotter models as bridge pickups, but the less hot versions are very clean and refined. They are also cheaper than quite a few other pickup companies.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby BoatRich » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 pm

The Humbucker From Hell would definitely be cool. It’s glassy and super bright. Not a ton of output either. Any of the Dimarzio PAFs are good. Bare knuckle Mules could also be a cool choice?
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:26 pm

I, meaning me, highly recommend a TV Jones Powertron Plus :thumb:
It is better than all the other pickups people that aren't me might have suggested :thumb:
I even like it better than Black Winters, which says a lot because I love those too! :doom:

It's powerful, it's super clear, even with tons of distortion, AND, no other pickup I've ever used feeds back like it does! :!!!:

For reference I have it in a LP Jr type guitar. :animal:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass