How to price an unfortunate guitar?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

How to price an unfortunate guitar?

Postby Psyre » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Thinking of selling my Johnny Marr Jaguar...here's the thing; the Olympic white nitro paint Fender used (intentionally?) Sucks. The first guitar I received already had chips from the factory. When the shop inspected it they called me and told me they wanted to send it back and get another, I went to check it out and funnily enough, none of the electronics even worked. So it went back and I got another. First chip occurred within a week. Since then flakes just pop off, stick to padded guitar stands and was rubbed off by straps.
It yellowed really quickly along the top and neck pocket. I think it was intended for these to get "road worn" and Fender likes to call it, rapidly. Probably inspired by Johnny's jag it was based off of. Also, the signature decal came off from using a clip on tuner.

None of this has really bothered me, but now I'm just not playing guitar so I'm wanting to sell it to fund an SH-101.
Seeing as it was $1,800 new, purchased 6 years ago. What kind of money do you think I could expect? I'll be getting pictures ready tonight or tomorrow which will help, but I can't help but feel, despite it really being babied, that I'm not going to be able to get even half of its original value, which is pretty disapointing due to intentional construction/design decisions.

What do you guys think?
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: How to price an unfortunate guitar?

Postby colin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 pm

I'd think you'd still be able to get at least a grand for it, even with the decal and finish wear. Checking Reverb, the lowest priced Marr Jag currently is $1400, and sold Ebay listings have one with more wear than you describe that sold for $1200 and one that sounds comparable to yours for a little over $1000.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:23 am

I actually used my brain and looked at some of the sold listings. The ebay listing I believe you are referencing was definitely way more worn than mine.

This definitely makes me feel a lot better about it too. Just cleaned it up real nice, it's one hell of a guit. Hopefully when I sell my friends will stop asking me to help out with all their projects, "sorry I don't own a guitar" lol. I'll still have my "The Paul II" which Noone would buy in the state it's in anyway haha
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Most people buying those know about Fender's 'flash coat lacquer' thing at least.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Return to Guitar and Bass