Mini Humbuckers

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Mini Humbuckers

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:10 am

Hi,

Anyone else here a huge mini humbucker fan? I’ve heard the common statement .. “ripped out the mini humbuckers and put in p90s” ... so I get the impression many folks see the Minis as subpar. I love ‘em! They have the power (without the Muff) of humbuckers but the resolution of single coils. It’s a perfect mix! Anyone else share this sentiment or do I have a tin ear?

Regards ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Mini Humbuckers

Postby doommeow » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 pm

What are you using, and what are you using them in?

I didn't try very much or for very long, but I was never able to find a mini humbucker that I liked - either for a LP bridge or tele neck position. Tried a duncan, a couple of GFS, one handwound, and an OEM. Nothing stuck. Never had the chance to try a proper Gib and/or vintage piece though....
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 pm

i love them, but don't currently have a guitar with them in though i've lusted for a Firebird since i used to see Jorma playing them with Hot Tuna in the mid-70s.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:16 pm

dubkitty wrote:i love them, but don't currently have a guitar with them in though i've lusted for a Firebird since i used to see Jorma playing them with Hot Tuna in the mid-70s.

Well, just picked up a 2018 Gibson SG Special in satin and damn those mini humbuckers CUT THROUGH. I have a 2016 special w/minis and have had it in storage for a while so when I plugged in this new SG today I wanted to see if my memory was faulty or if I had new guitar exhilaration when I got the 2016 SG .. nope … the minis were AWESOME. The minis do shave off a bit of bass and the neck especially doesn't accentuate fat bass sounds. But that sacrifice is well worth the cutting mids and highs. It almost sounds like active pickups. As for the SG itself, the slim taper neck is built for shredding.
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby adamajah » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:21 pm

I like them in theory but have never played any.

Almost put one in the neck of a tele
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:24 am

doommeow wrote:What are you using, and what are you using them in?

I didn't try very much or for very long, but I was never able to find a mini humbucker that I liked - either for a LP bridge or tele neck position. Tried a duncan, a couple of GFS, one handwound, and an OEM. Nothing stuck. Never had the chance to try a proper Gib and/or vintage piece though....

:thumb: Gibson firebirds rock :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:50 am

Mudfuzz wrote:
doommeow wrote:What are you using, and what are you using them in?

:thumb: Gibson firebirds rock :thumb:

I'm totally itching for one ...
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 am

Firebirds and minis are a bit different, and confusingly, especially with imported pickups, the appearance on the aftermarket models is not always a reliable indicator of their construction.

https://tonefiend.com/pickups/mini-humb ... omparison/
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:08 am

Gone Fission wrote:Firebirds and minis are a bit different, and confusingly, especially with imported pickups, the appearance on the aftermarket models is not always a reliable indicator of their construction.

https://tonefiend.com/pickups/mini-humb ... omparison/

Thanks for this. To my ears the firebird minis sound similar to p90s ... which is not a bad thing
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar and Bass