Developing Nations Guitars (Aluminum, Made in Baltimore)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Developing Nations Guitars (Aluminum, Made in Baltimore)

Postby skullservant » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:38 pm

My DNG never goes out of tune
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm

sounds good, thx
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:15 pm

The aluminum tuning issue is really about temperature gradients. If you pull the guitar out of its case, tune it, and immediately walk on stage to play a set under hot bright lights you'll definitely see a tuning change a couple minutes in. If you're not doing that then you will be fine. And if you are doing that you just want the guitar to heat up on stage for a minute before you play. Not much of a concern for regular folks.

I never had this issue with my Bean or my Bastin when playing shows with lots of stage lights FWIW.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:37 pm

nice - appreciate the insight (and just what I wanted to hear) :joy:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:44 pm

I agree with WIMK. Play it for a few minutes before you tune. Let it warm up. Things go back to normal. When it is cold it goes flat, so if you tune right away, you will be sharp after a few minutes of temperature stabilization. Even in my house it warms up to my hand and changes. Tune once and it stays pretty solid through a set while playing hard. This is on an EGC btw.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cantremember » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback! The neck sounds like it'll be pretty comfortable if its similar to an sg/lp. I was super into my egc when I first got it but since its about 15lbs I rarely played it standing up. I recently got a new/thicker strap so I could comfortably play it standing and I find myself going back to my sg pretty quickly because the polished neck isn't as smooth as l'd like and it has a fair amount of neck dive. I can't wait for the dng to be finished but it's still a ways out unfortunately. Hopefully the world is still around by then haha.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby dubkitty » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am

Todd Rundgren had a ankh-shaped aluminum guitar back in the 70s that he used with Utopia; he said he quit using it precisely because the tuning would drift under stage lights. IIRC it had a very skinny neck, though, which would account for some of this.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby cantremember » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:31 pm

Anyone else waiting on one of these? I've been waiting about a year and half now and honestly, I'm over it. I don't want the guitar anymore. He quoted me 4-8 months and keeps telling me he is going to focus on building guitars once his studio schedule slows down. I wish I would have known that he wasn't going to take this very serious when he took my money and made sure to let me know the deposit is nonrefundable. I've thought about trying to see if someone wanted to take my spot in the build cue but with homie not giving me a solid time frame that isn't really something I could do. IDK, starting to feel like I'd have been better going with EGC, at least I would have known that I would be waiting for years. At least those guys build guitars full time.
Last edited by cantremember on Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cantremember

Postby Dandolin » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:44 pm

ugh that sucks
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:24 pm

that's awful! Seems easy (barring unexpected life events and mitigating circumstances of courtse) just quote a realistic time people, rather than get hopes up...
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JTurbide » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:01 pm

Similar situation here but I am changing my mind every month about what I'll get (mine will be a fully custom build so I can get basically whatever I want that the builder can do). Been waiting for like two years and will still be waiting about another year... Worst part is his prices have gone up a few weeks ago. I just noticed and sent him an email to make sure I will still get the previous and (agreed upon when I made my deposit) pricing. If not I'll be super pissed and fucked basically cause I'll probaby not be able to afford what I want.

Edit: all is good I'll be paying the old prices :)
Last edited by JTurbide on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:26 am

I've bought two guitars from two smaller builders and both were plagued by fictional timelines and sporadic communication, even though both guys are great dudes and make nice stuff. Neither was a DNG, but my experience was similar. I think next time I'll just get a Jackson or something.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass