Recommend me a BASS

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Recommend me a BASS

Postby MrNovember » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:47 am

It's been a long time since I've actually enjoyed playing any stringed instruments. I just haven't been inspired by them in a long time. However, I recently picked up my bass again and haven't been able to put it down. I've currently got two basses: a fretless Squier P-bass and a vintage short scale bass (likely a Hondo or Kawai or something of that ilk). The Hondo/Kawai is pretty beat up; the bridge is missing screws so it has been setup with some pennies and the neck has a bit of a crack developing but, it plays surprisingly well and actually sounds pretty great. The fretless on the other hand is solid and I really can't find any faults in it. So, I'd really just like to upgrade the Kawai/Hondo to something a little nicer. Budget is probably somewhere in the $400-$600 range

I've been looking at the following:
Godin Shifter or Dorchester - I've played a few Godin's in the past and I've never been disappointed. The Dorchester actually looks really cool and like it would be a pretty good replacement for the Hondo/Kawai. I doubt I'd be able to find one of these used though and I don't know if I want to buy something brand new.
Some kind of P-bass - seems like a no-brainer considering I love the fretless one I own, just not sure which one. Probably a Squier or MIM? Anything I should look for?
There's a couple Ibanez ATK200s available locally, but I'm not sure if I want an active bass?
There's also a Yamaha BB414 available somewhat locally that looks pretty decent

My bass setup is: Black Finger > Spatial Delivery > Data Corrupter > VB2w > Transmisser > amp

Any recommendations?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Re: Recommend me a BASS

Postby oscillateur » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:22 am

Fender Japan Mustang bass, if you can find them where you are located. I love mine.

The more recent Fender Mustang basses are probably good too and might be easier to find but I have no experience with these...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:06 am

oscillateur wrote:Fender Japan Mustang bass, if you can find them where you are located. I love mine.

The more recent Fender Mustang basses are probably good too and might be easier to find but I have no experience with these...

These look like a perfect mix between my short scale and p-bass! I'm going to check if any local stores have one I can try out
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby qersty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:47 am

Check one of those yamaha BBs, they are awesome p-bass killers. The ATKs are awesome too but they are really active sounding so if you arent into that id skip on them but i presonally feel if you boost the mids onboards and back of the volume active basses sound a little more traditional
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby greyscales » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:13 am

Definitely a Mustang bass. Should hit all of the marks for you.

Newer Fender models have PJ pickups that might give you more modification options down the line, but I personally love the standard Mustang configuration. Just a solid P Bass sound in a much more manageable size.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Benn Roe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:08 pm

How do you feel about Stingrays? If you can track down one of those early-2000s American-made S.U.B.s, they can usually be had for somewhere in your price range. Not the "Sterling by Music Man" stuff, mind you. There were a few years leading up to 2006 or so where Ernie Ball made low-end Stingrays in-house, sacrificing mostly just stylization to bring the costs down, and they sound great. They're texture-painted poplar bodies with painted necks, but very little difference otherwise.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to pass on the Yamaha BB414; it's just too inconvenient for me to even try to pick up and I'm not totally sold on it in the first place. Maybe if one pops up somewhere closer. Going to pass on the Ibanez ATKs too.

I have no issues with the Stingrays, but I've definitely never seen one in this price range around here. I'll keep my eyes open, though.

I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for a Mustang bass. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. There's a new one a local music shop nearby that I might try it out if I can find some time after work this week. I also saw the Pawn Shop version. Any one have experience with that pickup?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby karmablock » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:42 pm

I like those pickups but mine are in a starcaster bass.
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:17 pm

karmablock wrote:I like those pickups but mine are in a starcaster bass.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those, I'd definitely like to try one of them as well
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:48 pm

I think that is a good way to go if you are getting a mustang. I'm not a huge fan of the normal mustang pickups out side of messing around.. They just lack power... I haven't played anything new with those new recreations of those humbuckers in them but I have played 70s tele basses with the originals and they are massive sounding.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Yeah the originals of those pickups are awesome. Not tried a newer one but a friend of mine did once have a high output aftermarket thing the same size in a beatle bass. That was beyond excellent.

No idea what it was though. :idk: :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dapper Bandit » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:56 pm

I'll have to chip in my usual bass recommendation: Ibanez Blazer. They can be found for around 200 wingwangs and offer an amazing bang/buck ratio. Or almost any 80s period Ibanez really. ESP basses can also be picked up cheap as they have the whole "metal guitar" stigma but are again fantastic basses at any price.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby Sentient Twig » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:44 pm

them roadworn mim pbasses are literally the best pbasses I've ever played. went through a bunch of pbasses, including more expensive american models like the american vintage, and kept the road worn. it's ridiculously light and the neck is amazing
Sentient Twig

involved
involved

Postby MrNovember » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:38 pm

So I found a good deal on a Fender Standard Dimension bass. Just picked it up earlier today. Didn't have a lot of time to play it, but it has the thinnest neck I've ever felt on a bass. It was also set up really nicely. Plays and sounds amazing!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby adamajah » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:11 pm

I've always been tempted by those Dimensions. They look pretty cool and they seem to be blowing them out all the time.
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass