Down tuning and intonation



Moderators: Ghost Hip, metalmariachi

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby waltdogg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Image
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2925
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: hell, ca

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby Bassist_Diver » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 pm

aen wrote:
Bassist_Diver wrote:Sounds like you need a 7 (or 8) string.


That's a standard scale guitar with a wider neck, yo. They have heavier strings on the bottom.


Exactly - rather than tune down from E to Bb you can just downtune a half step and move over one string.
Image
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Ibanez | Genz-Benz | Pedals
Bassist_Diver

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:20 am
Location: Texas

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby benjuro » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 am

repoman wrote:Can you put a different tuner on the guitar or drill out the hole on the stock one to make heavier gauge fit? I think you would need something more like a 70 for the low A#


The replacement tuner idea is worth considering, Hipshot does awesome work and are super helpful/easy to work with. You don't need to go quite as heavy as a 70, but it wouldn't hurt.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby Nateispro » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 pm

When I wanted to go heavy with my strings I bought a set of 8 string hipshots and used the lower 6 and ditched the higher two. The 8 string set can hold super thick strings.
Turn Up Tune Down Rock Out

Good deals: Holy Schnikes
Nateispro

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:14 am
Location: Ut

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby repoman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 pm

benjuro wrote:
repoman wrote:Can you put a different tuner on the guitar or drill out the hole on the stock one to make heavier gauge fit? I think you would need something more like a 70 for the low A#


The replacement tuner idea is worth considering, Hipshot does awesome work and are super helpful/easy to work with. You don't need to go quite as heavy as a 70, but it wouldn't hurt.


Reason I'm thinking 70 (or higher) is I have a Baritone that has a 68 on it tuned to A and its a little more floppy than I'd like and this has a 27.78 inch scale length
When you turn the knob, it does not sound bad. 
repoman

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:16 pm
Location: Edge City

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby Theta » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 am

Man... I use 13-64 in drop A on 25.5'' scale with no intonation or tuning problem at all.
Some bridges are less easy than others but it should be manageable... maybe some pics of your bridge and setup could help.
THETA | LOUD NOISE
OFFICIAL FACEBOOK | http://www.facebook.com/thetaloudnoise
OFFICIAL BANDCAMP | http://thetaloudnoise.bandcamp.com
Theta

User avatar
interested
interested
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:40 am
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby Bon Hoga » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:42 am

Get a proper extended scale instrument. Let pussies play pussy guitars :D
Bon Hoga

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby waltdogg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:38 pm

being a stickerler for intonation is a being a baby. get it as close as you can and just fucking play. non-musicians can't hear it. even torché is like "fuck it, the strings we use are too heavy to intonate on our guitars, still sounds good"
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2925
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: hell, ca

Re: Down tuning and intonation

Postby aen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Bon Hoga wrote:Get a proper extended scale instrument. Let pussies play pussy guitars :D


I see your smiley, but the thing is, that loose string has a sound to it. A pretty cool one, IMO.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:34 pm

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.