· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Guitar and bass lounge at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:11 pm

i use two lace hot golds in the neck and middle, and then a alumitone deathbucker for the bridge. I would be happy using any of them as a 'final only' pickup, but chose this configuration because i wanted a guitar that had a really wide array of sounds it could produce. The golds, regardless of where they are placed are really warm and saturated with a lower volume than the alumitone. The alumitone is way more hi-fi and is super defined. The hot golds work okay with fuzz/distortion, but really shine with overdrive. The alumitone humbucker does great with overdrive, but also destroys with distortion and fuzz. When i first bought them i was actually kind of disappointed, but after sitting around for a day and messing with the height of the pickups and putting them way closer to the strings than people recommend, they really sing and sustain great for me. The difference before and after was crazy. Since using them, i haven't really had any desire to try a lot of other pickups other than what ognoy suggested with the EGC ones. So i guess on thing to also consider is that before you write off any pickups, really push them and mess around with the height as well to see how you like them and see in full what they can do before forming an opinion.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:32 am

Lace Alumitones -- it doesn't get any more hi fi than that. The output is medium rather than low, but you can lower them till they're flush with the pickguard and you're all set.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Gold foils are not what I'd call hi-fi, but I love how they interact with volume and tone knobs.
I'm a P90 guy for convenience.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

I like the two pairs of Zombie Dusts's I have. Doomster and LSD. Both are awesome.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:56 am

WayToHip wrote:Gold foils are not what I'd call hi-fi, but I love how they interact with volume and tone knobs.

Do you prefer Gold Foil over P90. I've heard that Gold Foil react differently to the volume knob (they won't cleanup). I never tried a guitar with Gold Foil.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:51 pm

sylnau wrote:
WayToHip wrote:Gold foils are not what I'd call hi-fi, but I love how they interact with volume and tone knobs.

Do you prefer Gold Foil over P90. I've heard that Gold Foil react differently to the volume knob (they won't cleanup). I never tried a guitar with Gold Foil.

Gold foils are only good if you like them... they are a EXTREMELY dry sounding pickup.. :idk:

Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 pm

PeteeBee wrote:Well shoot. Three votes is pretty convincing. Any recommendations for specific ones?

Harmonic Design Z90. They're more balanced than a true P90, more like if you put a P90 and a Jazzmaster SC together or something. Like, big but clear at the same time.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Stamnes wrote:I like the two pairs of Zombie Dusts's I have. Doomster and LSD. Both are awesome.

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Love them axes... Reminds me of the Gibson Voodoo series they did around 2000 for a year or two. I'd love a Voodoo SG.. mmm mmm

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:26 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:
Stamnes wrote:I like the two pairs of Zombie Dusts's I have. Doomster and LSD. Both are awesome.

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Love them axes... Reminds me of the Gibson Voodoo series they did around 2000 for a year or two. I'd love a Voodoo SG.. mmm mmm

Seriously. :love: What are those? Sexy as fuck.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 pm

hmm.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:21 pm

sylnau wrote:

I think Gold Foils could be described as 'hi-fi' even though they are from low budget japanese guitars. The characteristics of gold foils is that they are extremely clear and articulate pickups, they are not raunchy or mid range heavy/high out put. There is almost an acoustic piezo like sound in there from the high end zinginess of them.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:07 am

doommeow wrote:

They are from a small company called from London called Boult Guitars. That SG model is the Troglorite. I caught onto them after seeing them turn up with a few of my favorite bands, Slomatics (hence Troglorite from the cd Estron),Conan, and Vokonis. BTW the they are doing the last ever run of Trog's so if you want one order away for £349 with the pickups listed below. Crazy good deal

They have sig models out with Kelly Juett of Mothership, Thomas V Jaeger of Monolord, Simon Ohlsson of Vokonis, and a few more.

They are super affordable guitars that you can get with Zombie Dust, Bareknuckle, Lace, Seymour Duncans, etc. Any model they make can be made lefty or baritone. Six string or 7. They will bend over backwards for you.

I have the Monolord Flying V on it's way and the Vokonis Yamaha style SG.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 pm

On the bass side of things, a quad coil MM pickup.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Kalamazoo-made Gibby p90

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Stamnes wrote:
doommeow wrote:

They are from a small company called from London called Boult Guitars. That SG model is the Troglorite. I caught onto them after seeing them turn up with a few of my favorite bands, Slomatics (hence Troglorite from the cd Estron),Conan, and Vokonis. BTW the they are doing the last ever run of Trog's so if you want one order away for £349 with the pickups listed below. Crazy good deal

They have sig models out with Kelly Juett of Mothership, Thomas V Jaeger of Monolord, Simon Ohlsson of Vokonis, and a few more.

They are super affordable guitars that you can get with Zombie Dust, Bareknuckle, Lace, Seymour Duncans, etc. Any model they make can be made lefty or baritone. Six string or 7. They will bend over backwards for you.

I have the Monolord Flying V on it's way and the Vokonis Yamaha style SG.

Those are pretty spicy looking. Totally reminded me of these things...
Post a reply