· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Guitar and bass lounge at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:15 am

If I had to pick one.. Black winter. I have them in my sg and my sheraton 2, huge range, very clear and even, yes they 16k but that is why you have knobs on the guitar :idk:

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm

I've only played with a vintage one, but if you want a hi-fi wide/clear sound a wide range will get you there.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 am

weed_killer wrote:I've only played with a vintage one, but if you want a hi-fi wide/clear sound a wide range will get you there.

Hi-if, wide and clear sound definitely seems like what I want. I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on one. Maybe see about getting the switch for coil splitting swapped out for a tone knob. It'll be a real tight fit though...

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Custom Avedissian humbucker with coil tap. Tell him the tone and output you want and he'll make it happen.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Humbucker size P90 ?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 pm

sylnau wrote:Humbucker size P90 ?

That is what I would go with.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:10 am

... I feel bad for you son / I've got 99 problems but the pickup ain't one.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 am

lefchr wrote:

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 am

blakestree wrote:
lefchr wrote:

Well shoot. Three votes is pretty convincing. Any recommendations for specific ones?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33 pm

start with a gibson p94 (bucker sized p90 a la gibson's take, keep in mind they practically invented the p90) and branch out from there?

the only thing i was ever gonna suggest was to just get a nice classic style pickup; p90 or paf with good alnico magnets. alnico is bright and cleans up very nicely compared to ceramic, especially with your science mother on the way. those amps love nice pickups and volume control manipulation.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 pm

waltdogg wrote:start with a gibson p94 (bucker sized p90 a la gibson's take, keep in mind they practically invented the p90) and branch out from there?

the only thing i was ever gonna suggest was to just get a nice classic style pickup; p90 or paf with good alnico magnets. alnico is bright and cleans up very nicely compared to ceramic, especially with your science mother on the way. those amps love nice pickups and volume control manipulation.

I've had a P94 for ever still have it in a drawer somewhere... it's a very dry sounding pickup, and is voiced twards mids

SD Phat cat is bigger and louder sounding, it'll do rounds with most buckers without the mid honkyness that most gibson style buckers have

Rio G Bastard is similar to the phat cat

:idk:

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 pm

i feel most p90s are midrangy to some degree, kinda just depends on how much gain you use i've noticed.

i put some puh-fat cats in that ibanez jet king i put back together for my bandmate a while back. don't really have an opinion on their tone but they're definitely a good cheaper alternative to gibson or a boutique maker.

rio grande pickups are the shit.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm

PeteeBee wrote:
blakestree wrote:
lefchr wrote:

Well shoot. Three votes is pretty convincing. Any recommendations for specific ones?

Lollar

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 pm

https://www.manliusguitar.com/products/fat-goat-hb-p90

I have this. I love the sound nice and beefy, gritty, goes great with my fuzz pedals.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:10 am

sylnau wrote:Lollar

:thumb:
Post a reply