Guitar... what should I look for?



Moderators: Ghost Hip, metalmariachi

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby kosta » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Yeah, partscasters can be great! And an awesome way to get into that middle-ground between MIM and MIA / boutique stuff, price-wise.
Object Object : Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:00 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby Dapper Bandit » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:31 am

SPACERITUAL wrote:Can you be more specific about the features youre looking for? At that pricepoint if youre willing to be open minded, a used ESP is going to shit on everything else you could find, but looks like youre kinda picky about looks.



I would have to second the ESP rec, I have (too many) MIJ ESPs and they indeed shit on stuff. Insane attention to detail and QC. I picked up a second hand Les Paul type custom shop that SLAYED an old buddies Gibson Jimmy Page for what worked out at a 3rd of the price. If you're fine with shopping online you could look on the Ishibashi Ubox site (massive Japanese chain store) where they sell second hand gear. They even do 'normal' looking stuff like this chap (my guitar but not my pic):

Image
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

User avatar
interested
interested
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby Jero » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 am

Dat esp :!!!:
http://www.bradycases.com - Custom Built ATA Cases & Pedalboards

rfurtkamp wrote:I felt violated, parametrically-EQ'd in ways I didn't want or need.
Jero

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 8854
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 am
Location: Tx

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby popvulture » Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 pm

sylnau wrote:

Anybody tried one?


I played one of these today—it was actually very impressive. Built really well, set up nicely, pickups had a really nice clarity but plenty of beef. Only played it on clean to mildly dirty amp settings, so can't say I've heard the whole range of tones, but it was quite cool, especially for the price.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:09 am
Location: Austin

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Syl, you should forget about guitar and start playin' the electric banjo. This one's already in Canada:

Image

https://reverb.com/item/5224259-1968-ri ... r-mapleglo
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and theives, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here

"Vibraphones are like blowjobs; everyone wants one, but the good ones are cost-prohibitive."- Ugly Nora
Chankgeez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 30629
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 am

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby sylnau » Thu May 11, 2017 6:10 pm

popvulture wrote:
sylnau wrote:

Anybody tried one?


I played one of these today—it was actually very impressive. Built really well, set up nicely, pickups had a really nice clarity but plenty of beef. Only played it on clean to mildly dirty amp settings, so can't say I've heard the whole range of tones, but it was quite cool, especially for the price.

Nice! You tried the regular or the Deluxe?
How was the neck?

Chank, this look like a toilet bowl. :lol:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 9677
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby popvulture » Thu May 11, 2017 6:53 pm

It was the Standard in the Autunno burst (really looked awesome).

Chank, that Banjobacker is hideous :lol:
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:09 am
Location: Austin

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Oh, sure, make fun of the banjo! :p Just wait until you hear it through Syl's pedalboard. We'll see who'll be laughing then. :lol:
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and theives, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here

"Vibraphones are like blowjobs; everyone wants one, but the good ones are cost-prohibitive."- Ugly Nora
Chankgeez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 30629
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 am

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby sylnau » Thu May 11, 2017 7:42 pm

popvulture wrote:It was the Standard in the Autunno burst (really looked awesome).

Chank, that Banjobacker is hideous :lol:


How is the neck?
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 9677
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby popvulture » Fri May 12, 2017 9:47 am

It was a great feeling neck, would describe it as medium to medium-thick. It's lacquered like the body (not sure if they use poly or nitro).
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:09 am
Location: Austin

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby kosta » Fri May 12, 2017 11:11 am

Dapper Bandit wrote:
SPACERITUAL wrote:Can you be more specific about the features youre looking for? At that pricepoint if youre willing to be open minded, a used ESP is going to shit on everything else you could find, but looks like youre kinda picky about looks.



I would have to second the ESP rec, I have (too many) MIJ ESPs and they indeed shit on stuff. Insane attention to detail and QC. I picked up a second hand Les Paul type custom shop that SLAYED an old buddies Gibson Jimmy Page for what worked out at a 3rd of the price. If you're fine with shopping online you could look on the Ishibashi Ubox site (massive Japanese chain store) where they sell second hand gear. They even do 'normal' looking stuff like this chap (my guitar but not my pic):

Image


MIJ ESPs are indeed amazing. That thing looks awesome!
Object Object : Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:00 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby sylnau » Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm not really into brown and beige. It would look better in another finish.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 9677
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby SPACERITUAL » Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Ahem..


Image

Image
D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have a Godsmack shirt


jwar wrote:Not to be a dick or anything but My Bloody Valentine sucks ass.


My whole life is a shitpost. One. Big. Shit. Post.
SPACERITUAL

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 5763
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: MEGA CITY WHATEVER

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby popvulture » Fri May 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Dude, those things are wyld. :love:
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:09 am
Location: Austin

Re: Guitar... what should I look for?

Postby waltdogg » Fri May 12, 2017 10:37 pm

i can definitely second that esp have top tier build quality and they make pretty much anything and everything plus i do believe they take custom orders but those sweet japan only models, and edwards, esp's gibson copies are second to none and better than gibson in most cases i hear.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross
waltdogg

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: hell, ca

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.