7-strings to 9 strings?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

7-strings to 9 strings?

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:01 am

So Im interested in playing the tappity-tappity stuff and sometime I feel limited on my 6 string. I wanted to play around with a 7, 8, or 9 string guitar especially interested in the 7 or 9 variety but there seems to be a dearth of options that arent your typical ibanez type super strat. Is there anything with more interesting shapes or is it only luthier built stuff that might make somewhat a more interesting shape?
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Re: 7-strings to 9 strings?

Postby backwardsvoyager » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:43 am

i have one of these and although they're a pain in the ass to get, i'd heavily recommend MIJ Schecters
model number is AR-07 and it cost like 800 bucks including shipping from Japan (used but near mint), they're extremely well built and have all the necessary features of an extended range guitar (loud/clear pickups that handle gain well, smooth matte neck, locking tuners) without any superfluous quilt tops and over-the-top metal aesthetic (surprisingly, for Schecter).

i looked around for ages for a good 7 string and that was pretty much the only production model i could dig, being used to jazzmasters etc.
also, it's worth considering working up from 7 -> 8 -> 9 string instead of making bigger jumps so your hands get used to it slowly or you might hurt your wrist.. 9 string necks are T H I C C.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:24 pm

backwardsvoyager wrote:i have one of these and although they're a pain in the ass to get, i'd heavily recommend MIJ Schecters
model number is AR-07 and it cost like 800 bucks including shipping from Japan (used but near mint), they're extremely well built and have all the necessary features of an extended range guitar (loud/clear pickups that handle gain well, smooth matte neck, locking tuners) without any superfluous quilt tops and over-the-top metal aesthetic (surprisingly, for Schecter).

i looked around for ages for a good 7 string and that was pretty much the only production model i could dig, being used to jazzmasters etc.
also, it's worth considering working up from 7 -> 8 -> 9 string instead of making bigger jumps so your hands get used to it slowly or you might hurt your wrist.. 9 string necks are T H I C C.

That was my plan honestly, I want to jump into a 7 string guitar and then 8 and then 9 because yeah those necks and dem 9-strings got me lik dammmm. I really dig that and I'm really surprised to see something like that come from schecter actually. I go to japan relatively often and since I can break it down into two pieces I might wait a bit and cop one of those. I want to see if there are more tasteful shapes like that in their line-up.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby wafl » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:36 pm

You can custom order most Agile models as a seven string, so like a 7 string hollow body or telecaster.

http://www.rondomusic.com/customquote.html
wafl

experienced
experienced

Return to Guitar and Bass