codetocontra's guitar build FAIL

Moderator: Ghost Hip

codetocontra's guitar build FAIL

Postby codetocontra » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Documenting my new guitar build.

Last summer I was visiting my guitar tech friend at his home and he showed me an incredible Broadcaster body he took in trade for work from another friend. The guy goes under the name Nomoonlaser and all his bodies are made from recycled wood. This one in particular came from a wood floor in a house built in the 50s or 60s I believe.

The seed was planted in my brain that I wanted to build my own. That night I made a complete list on how I would spec my own build. Really wanted to have an aluminum bolt-on neck, but I couldn't source one from EGC or Bastin so this idea sat until now. This past week when Kevin from EGC started taking preorders for aluminum bolt-on necks and I sent him money. Already have a head start on some parts laying around here including parts that were swapped off my EGC: aluminum pickguard, push/pull pots, Telecaster knobs, Schaller strap locks, Couch strap, right angle switch (might not use), and various screws.

Took a trip today to buy my body. Selected one that came from a wood floor in a house built in 1912. Needs to be routed still. Cost $70.

I have to figure out a few things right away, like stain/finish and whether the bridge pickup will be single coil or humbucker so the body can be routed and finished. The only solid plans I have at the moment are a neck humbucker and a Bigsby, lots of ideas though.
*Update: Chose ebony stain, humbuckers in both spots.

-----

Links:
Nomoonlaser Guitar Bodies: https://www.facebook.com/Nomoonlaser-Guitar-Bodies-1192178387467523/?ref=br_rs
Nomoonlaser on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/nomoonlaser?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Aluminum Axes FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/735285233160228/
Last edited by codetocontra on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: codetocontra's guitar build

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:36 pm

That all looks excellent! :!!!: :excellent:

You should make those photos safe for work. :poke:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby popvulture » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Yeah that's badass, man. It's like a butcher block guitar :cool:
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:57 am

Thanks guys. Didn't want to clutter up the post with pictures. Planning to update the 1st post throughout the build, think the NSFW tags will help keep it cleaner. But maybe you're right.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Obulus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:33 pm

codetocontra wrote:This past week when Kevin from EGC started taking preorders for aluminum bolt-on necks and I sent him money.

I didn't know this happened? Where did this get announced (link)? What does one cost? Sounds interesting. Cool project by the way!
Obulus

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks! Check out the Aluminum Axes group on FB. Kevin mentioned doing a run of 15 after he gets back from NAMM. Thread blew up with responses so he started taking preorders. $300 down, $750 total with tuners.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kosta » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Yeah, color me curious on the neck as well. Good luck with your build!
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby codetocontra » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Email sales@electricalguitarcompany.com to reach Kevin. I have no idea if there are any spots left or if he is taking on more than the original 15.

The Aluminum Axes FB group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/735285233160228/
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kosta » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks! Emailed them.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby odontophobia » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:03 am

codetocontra wrote:Email sales@electricalguitarcompany.com to reach Kevin. I have no idea if there are any spots left or if he is taking on more than the original 15.

The Aluminum Axes FB group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/735285233160228/

Man $750 is steep but my gas is strong. Hope there's a spot left.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby codetocontra » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Mockup. Mastery 7.1 bridge will allow strings through the body OR to the Bigsby, which could be pretty interesting having some strings with vibrato.

Looks like I am going to have to shift the bridge pickup pocket to make everything line up properly. Need to piece the guitar together before ordering anything else.

Might install a Sustainiac in the neck position, and a kill switch on an arcade button somewhere.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby GuitarSlim101 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Ooo, that looks awesome.
GuitarSlim101

committed
committed

Postby Invisible Man » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:24 pm

codetocontra wrote:Image

Mockup. Mastery 7.1 bridge will allow strings through the body OR to the Bigsby, which could be pretty interesting having some strings with vibrato.

Looks like I am going to have to shift the bridge pickup pocket to make everything line up properly. Need to piece the guitar together before ordering anything else.

Might install a Sustainiac in the neck position, and a kill switch on an arcade button somewhere.

If you do all of those things I may kill you and steal this guitar. Guh

You are warned.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby antennafarm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:53 pm

goddang hot!

want to add this to the EGC bolt-on thread I started to keep track of the beauties that come out of the EGC run?
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks guys.

I had another idea to do some wood burning on the back or sides of the body. Something to think about. Going to have to make sure it all fits together before I do anything else or order more parts. Minor anxiety about some things not lining up on the pickguard as well as proximity between bridge and bridge pickup. Might be some easy adjustments after the neck gets here. Just paid my final invoice for the neck this week, hopefully it gets here before next weekend and I can start some assembly.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass