Never owned a Jazzmaster...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Never owned a Jazzmaster...

Postby popvulture » Wed May 25, 2016 4:01 pm

I've got a Jag, but I've always stayed away from JMs because everybody fucking has one.

But, everyone obviously has one for a reason: they sound goddamn excellent.

I'm thinking of picking one up this year and would like to hear some opinions. Is there a particular model/year/country of origin that you like? I know plenty of people love the MIJ ones. Custom shop = out of the question due to ludicrous prices (on the JMs in particular).

I actually REALLY like the new AVRI '65 models—the neck is a great size, fatter than average. Great sounding pickups, very well constructed overall from what I've seen. They seem to give previous AVRIs like the '62 a bit of a run for their money.

I also liked the Thurston Moore model, but two big things: no tone knob (I guess that could be added depending on whether or not there's any routing already in place under the guard), and eschewed rhythm circuit. I know a lot of people have said that they like nixing the rhythm circuit for improved tone, but I've also heard that it makes the JM brighter... I doubt I'd ever want a JM to be brighter, but maybe that's just me. I also happen to like the rhythm circuit sometimes.

Anyway. Tell me some shit. :poke:
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Never owned a Jazzmaster...

Postby popvulture » Wed May 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Added note: I like the Mascis Squiers but I'm not that crazy about them. I'd want to do too many upgrades and I think that may be a little too much chasing the dragon for such an inexpensive guitar.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 pm

I had one of those Classic '60s Lacquer Jazzmasters for a good while and it was a great guitar. Only thing I didn't like was that the neck tint was a bit much. Got it with intent on modding, but it always ended up back stock.
I'd still like to have a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzy.
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Wed May 25, 2016 11:30 pm

Ahh yeah I've seen those 60s lacquers... they're indeed pretty sweet but you're right about the neck tint. Borderline Trump orange :D

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cheesecats » Thu May 26, 2016 8:01 am

i got one of these in walnut--i love hardtails, as i never use the whammy bar. i also have thurston moore, which is crispy but really cuts through the mix.

cheesecats

experienced
experienced

Postby popvulture » Thu May 26, 2016 10:49 am

Ahhhh man I saw those. They look really f'n sweet, esp the walnut.

I've had my eye out for a used Elvis Costello signature JM for a while. Basically that walnut model, plus the trem.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blakestree » Thu May 26, 2016 10:54 am

I happen to be considering the '60s Lacquer & Leeuwen, right now, myself. I've got "vintage" tint on my Telecaster neck. Don't bother me none.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Thu May 26, 2016 3:06 pm

I don't flat out dislike that neck tint—I definitely prefer some to none. The 60s lacquer models are about as extreme as I'd wanna go, though...

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HorseyBoy » Thu May 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Worth looking at the Japanese models, too, or throwing one together from parts. Lots of nice Partsmasters around. Throwing on a Mastery or StayTrem bridge (StayTrem is cheaper and easier to setup) won't hurt either.
HorseyBoy

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Fri May 27, 2016 2:37 pm

I picked up a TVL JM for 850 used a couple months ago. It plays and sounds excellent. AVRI hardware, pickups, case, better bridge, neck fatter than most of the lower priced JMs but not as big as the AVRI, rhythm circuit gets a beefy toggle switch instead of slider. The 60's lacquer ones look great too.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Sat May 28, 2016 12:48 pm

repoman wrote:I picked up a TVL JM for 850 used a couple months ago. It plays and sounds excellent. AVRI hardware, pickups, case, better bridge, neck fatter than most of the lower priced JMs but not as big as the AVRI, rhythm circuit gets a beefy toggle switch instead of slider. The 60's lacquer ones look great too.

Haven't you posted a picture of some kind of extremely foxy, custom JM/Jag type guitar with your board? I seem to remember seeing something like that... tell me more about it if you get a sec.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Sat May 28, 2016 4:33 pm

I have this wacky 12 string offset that was a Jaguar and then turned into a Telemaster...that one? I got one of those Squier Bass VIs that was repainted and the TVL, no jag (cept the jag that was a jag, then turned into a green jag, then turned into a jag XII, then turned into a telemaster xii)

heres the TVL

all stock except the wang bar that I bashed in a vice

I just noticed the Fender Offset body is a lot zoomier than the Warmoth one.The upper horn on the Fender is sharper and the bottom bulge by the input doesn't look as pregnant on it.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rustywire » Sat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Soon...
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Sat May 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Those both look rad! You know what's weird... I don't think I've ever seen a 12 string tele. Looks like the bridge works just fine for it... did you just swap out some custom saddles? Also really dig the bendy trem arm on the TVL.

Neither is the guitar I'm thinking about though... it might not have been you. I went back to the board thread and found the sweet picture of your board w/the wood top, but there was no guitar in it. I'm probably getting it mixed up. It was a sweet JM that looked like it was either a custom maker or just a partsmaster the player put together. Oh well, maybe it'll resurface!

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Sat May 28, 2016 9:04 pm

I filed the tops of the barrel saddles flat and then filed two grooves... intonation is surprisingly kinda OK with this, I need to figure something a bit better out though.

Theres a poster named finboy on here that has a 12 string tele with an offset-ish bridge on it, he also has an amazing jag-tele hybrid and both are for sale in the classifieds
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass