Short scale bass with a chunky neck?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Short scale bass with a chunky neck?

Postby neonblack » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Or just play as is? Just don't bother with the bridge pickup and you'll be fine.

Seriously. I played one for like a year and only ditched it for the gretsch. Which I still have, and recommend for sure.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mr_goodbomb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:18 pm

In relation to short scales: any way to make the E less sloppy and undefined? I have a Univox Hi Flyer and the E is pretty unusable.
mr_goodbomb

involved
involved

Postby kbit » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Bigger strings! I have a .115 on my mustang tuned to D and while a bit loose is still hefty enough to slam on. .106 - .110 tuned to E would do it I think.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:35 pm

kbit wrote:Bigger strings! I have a .115 on my mustang tuned to D and while a bit loose is still hefty enough to slam on. .106 - .110 tuned to E would do it I think.

:thumb: yep I use a 110 for the E on my Burny V [best SS bass IMP] :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby sears » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm playing a Bronco which has a P nut width and is medium in the back. Having auditioned vintage Musicmasters with chunkier necks and tons of neck dive, I'm sticking with what I have for now. I would love a chunkier neck but then I'd have to buy lightweight tuners, possibly drill the headstock, etc.

If anyone made 30" bass necks, you could probably get a "roasted" neck and lightweight tuners to shave off the ounces for decent ergonomics.
sears

committed
committed

Postby ChetMagongalo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:30 am

My teisco bass is short scale and has a chunky neck! I'm actually selling it right now if you're on the market? no pressure though :thumb:
I also used to have a musicmaster; it was a sick bass, super fun to play, but the neck on mine I didn't think was particularly thick :idk:
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:06 am

My cort has a Pbass nut width [I don't remember what it's called but fender sold the same thing with their logo on it for a while], that's why it was easy to turn into a bass VI
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:29 pm

ChetMagongalo wrote:My teisco bass is short scale and has a chunky neck! I'm actually selling it right now if you're on the market? no pressure though :thumb:

I kinda wanna. :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby kbit » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:33 pm

Yeah dude that thing is sexy, but I should probably buy a di and a power amp like I really need to. No fun not ever :(
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby daseb » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:07 am

gibson eb type things have some pretty chunky necks? There's a tonne of really good japanese copies out there for cheap.
daseb

experienced
experienced

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:18 pm

daseb wrote:gibson eb type things have some pretty chunky necks? There's a tonne of really good japanese copies out there for cheap.

This can go both ways, I've played gibsons and Epi's with tiny necks and chunky ones, same with the copies and usually with the lawsuit basses they seem to be more chunky in thickness rather than width.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass