Help me plan my Bass VI amp set up!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Help me plan my Bass VI amp set up!

Postby WeHuntKings » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:17 pm

So I've quite literally burned through the majority of my amps and speakers recently. I need some suggestions on what to do with my rig.

I just came across a vintage acoustic 140 head and I'm currently pairing it with my emperor 1x18. It sounds awesome, but I'm missing that sizzle I used to get with my fuzz through my now broken 4x10.

Should I run another amp in stereo with smaller speakers alongside it so I can get a fuller frequency response? Should I slave out into another rig with the acoustic? I have a Laney AOR 100 that needs fixing that I was thinking about using for the grindy tones, but I also have an old fender 300 watt tube head that needs a fuckton of work too.
WeHuntKings

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Help me plan my Bass VI amp set up!

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Fix that Laney :drool:
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby WeHuntKings » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Yeah. I just need to figure out what to run it into now. I have an old 4x12. Or should I get a bass cab for it?
WeHuntKings

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:39 pm

It really depends on how loud and bass heavy you play. Considering your habit of blowing up amps and speakers, I'd go for a bass can to be safe :idk:
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby neonblack » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:49 pm

You can get a 4x12 Bass cab. Perfect sound for Bass VI IMO.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm not a fan of bass vi through guitar cabs, gotta have the bass imo. 4x10 works great for me, I'd like to try a 4x12 too though when I can get my hands on one.

Have you considered just getting a new cab and using the acoustic? I reckon any of those three amps into a 4x10 or 4x12 would sound killer.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bon Hoga » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:32 am

By all means mend the Laney, those things are perfect for Bass VI. And you don't have to use bass speakers with it, even if you plan to use the bass boost. Pro tip: AORs love Greenbacks and V30s (in that particular order). Get a good ABY box, don't skimp or cut any corners there. The Radial Big Shot is the cheapest one that works well and has all you need (isolation transformers, polarity switch, earth lift switch). I've got one, and I've got a Radial Tone Bone, the big, expensive one. The Big Shot works just as well and the Tone Bone has been off my board for quite a while.
Bon Hoga

committed
committed

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:40 pm

I'm primarily a bass player so I've got the goods, but I prefer to use my GK MB212 over the Epi Valve JR. The BassVI is a "Bass +1 Octave higher," not a "Guitar -1 octave."
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:10 pm

neonblack wrote:You can get a 4x12 Bass cab. Perfect sound for Bass VI IMO.

Ampeg V2 is what I use and it's really really really rad. I run it with an 810 as well and a V4 pushing both and it gets loud/bassy as hell
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bon Hoga » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:36 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:I'm primarily a bass player so I've got the goods, but I prefer to use my GK MB212 over the Epi Valve JR. The BassVI is a "Bass +1 Octave higher," not a "Guitar -1 octave."

No. The Bass VI is a bass with two extra strings. Bass + one octave = guitar.
Bon Hoga

committed
committed

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Guitar is 2 octaves higher I thought

... Nope, 1 octave :picard:
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:37 am

I'm partial to bright ugly, but the VI loves the 4x12 beater I have here (regular ol' guitar Fender cab) mixed with a Jazz Chorus.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fishtankdork » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Traditional bass is 2 octaves lower than a guitar, bass vi is 1 octave lower than a guitar. That being said find a overdrive or fuzz with a mix knob for sizzle. I play my bass vi on guitar amps and bass amps depending on what sound I'm going for. Currently I'm using it for low end in a project so I'm running it through an ampeq head and 4x10 cab
-----------So LoNg AnD tHaNkS fOr AlL tHe FiSh----------
fishtankdork

experienced
experienced

Postby DarkAxel » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:03 am

2 octaves lower? What kinds of bass have you been playing, man? :D

literally just finished trying the Squier BAss VI at work throught the new Traynor DynaBlock or whatever it's called and a bunch of cabs. Prefered the 4x10 and I'm usually a 15s man. 12s sound good too, but I was surprised by the 10s which I usually don't enjoy too much..
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sonidero » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:23 am

fishtankdork wrote:find a overdrive or fuzz with a mix knob for sizzle.

Get a Mini or Ele... Also they sound best through Peavey Mark IV's with 2x15... I don't have to split or nothing, use the appropriate basscentric pedlols and eq the amp for sizzle... Pharaoh, Tall Font, Megalith, Mini, Bass Algal, TAFM, Ele, Bass Grunge, HM-2, Death Metal, Ezekiel, Amulet, or 7th Heaven all sound good on a VI... :cool:
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass