Let's talk baritones.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's talk baritones.

Postby Faldoe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:34 pm

ProCarsteNation wrote:I wanna try one of these:

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/sidejack ... llic-blue/

From what I gathered from other people, they are poopy guitars. I'm not sure if it was in this forum or elsewhere, people said the neck angle was off and overall if was a mediocre guitar.
Faldoe

Postby goosekevin » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:49 am

squier bari antigua jazzmaster thingo is backed hard, i love mine
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Nelson Instruments » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:15 am

Is there a particular scale length that players prefer for a baritone? I believe 28" is about "standard". I have heard of some who prefer a 30" scale for tension reasons.

Also is a bari a novelty instrument that you generally don't want to spend much on or would a $995 baritone be feasible?
Nelson Instruments

experienced
experienced

Postby sonidero » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:51 am

Shit a 30'' Bari from your hands with some extra winds on your 3 pups and copied off a Jazz with the same trem and a 5 way switch would kill... Semi hollow like that other one you did would be really kills...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goosekevin » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:42 am

Nelson Instruments wrote: Also is a bari a novelty instrument that you generally don't want to spend much on or would a $995 baritone be feasible?

i think it would be okay but maybe a it risky
baritones seem to sell best in the cheap bracket as an alternate guitar or something to inspire new ideas OR the super duper high end crazy EGC market
maybe a middle priced one could fill a gap in the market? or maybe theres a gap because there is no market
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sonidero » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:15 am

Yeah there might not be cuase of the Squier IV and the BariTeles going for cheap... I tune my BariTele A-A and have a couple Bass' but I still want a IV...

Hollowbody JazzBari with trem would really rule in a Morriconegaze type of thing...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bon Hoga » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:24 am

Nelson Instruments wrote:Is there a particular scale length that players prefer for a baritone? I believe 28" is about "standard". I have heard of some who prefer a 30" scale for tension reasons.

Also is a bari a novelty instrument that you generally don't want to spend much on or would a $995 baritone be feasible?

Mine is 28.6" and it's ok. I wouldn't like it any shorter than that though.
Bon Hoga

committed
committed

Postby Bon Hoga » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

Bon Hoga wrote:I wouldn't like it any shorter than that though.

I know, TWSS.
Bon Hoga

committed
committed

Postby backwardsvoyager » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 am

goosekevin wrote:
Nelson Instruments wrote: Also is a bari a novelty instrument that you generally don't want to spend much on or would a $995 baritone be feasible?

i think it would be okay but maybe a it risky
baritones seem to sell best in the cheap bracket as an alternate guitar or something to inspire new ideas OR the super duper high end crazy EGC market
maybe a middle priced one could fill a gap in the market? or maybe theres a gap because there is no market

^ yeah this is all a good point. i would say that there are evidently many people interested in extended scale instruments but right now at least the majority of those buyers are dipping their toes in rather than fully adopting the scale, the fact that fender/squier have been able to sell a lot of sub-$500 baritone/VI type instruments as well as stuff like the eastwood and schecter models having some degree of popularity kinda proves that. also people are probably satisfied enough with the quality of those that they don't feel the need to look at more expensive instruments, unless they have EGC fever.
a Nelson baritone would no doubt be a great value and professional instrument but it's super hard to gauge whether it would actually sell.
one thing possibly worth considering instead is the 7/8 string market - a LOT of builders are making those guitars in the 1-2k bracket and selling a lot of them, yes they are generally aimed at a pretty specific market but i think a lot of the aesthetic is more of an ergonomic thing rather than people not being open to more quirky or vintage-inspired designs.
some food for thought anyway.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ChetMagongalo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Nelson Instruments wrote:Is there a particular scale length that players prefer for a baritone? I believe 28" is about "standard". I have heard of some who prefer a 30" scale for tension reasons.

I would definitely be interested in a $1K baritone from you
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Nelson Instruments » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:49 pm

I'm thinking of offering the cosmonaut (the offset design I recently posted) in guitar, baritone, and bass.
I might as well just make up a few baritones. The fretting template is the only thing I'd need to purchase as I've decided that my existing neck tooling will work for it.
I just don't know how many I should make????
Nelson Instruments

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:03 pm

It isn't a tension thing because you can either put on lighter or heavier strings, but there is a difference sound wise, 30" is twangier and snarlier, I use the same tuning on "normal" scale guitars all the time, different tools for different sounds :idk: I think the 27.5" and 28.5" are for people with small hands..
NSFW: show

one of these days I kind'a want to string a 30" + scaled thingamajig to E standard just to see what it would sound like in terms of overtones.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Nelson Instruments » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:52 am

Interesting thougthts. When I had the bass VI instruments one if them was sold to a fellow who made it a baritone because he likes that scale for a bari.

The off-the-shelf fret template I can get is 28.5". I'll probably just do that since it would cost me over twice as much to have a custom one made and I don't feel like putting extra money into something that may not get people excited.
But I think 28.5" is a reasonable compromise?
Nelson Instruments

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:59 am

It's what the industry seems to have settled on.. and it's fine until someone wants to make a bass VI out of it :lol:
30" was actually more the norm for the few that popped up before the end of the 90's… now it's what most builders are doing.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Jero » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:51 am

So baritones have normal strings and bass vi has "bass" strings? And you cant turn a barotone into a vi unless its 30" scale right?

Yes I'm a child when it comes to this stuff hah
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass