Bass: balance between chord clarity and "big" single notes

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Bass: balance between chord clarity and "big" single notes

Postby kbit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:47 pm

This has been on my mind lately. Usually I'll eq a sound thats nice and burly on single notes, but then if i hit a two note minor third interval it sounds like mud. Try to rectify this issue and single notes sound too thin.

I play short scale basses tuned to D standard. Im selling off my amp at the moment so that doesnt really matter.

Curious to hear some input from yall:

-I've used 15" speakers exclusively and the only cab that was kinda ok on both was my old 2x15 Peavey (Was using a music man 150 at the time). Would 10" speakers be a better option?

-Any amps/eq styles I should look into? Ive thought about eventually going for a preamp/power amp set up so I guess I could have two pres on a a/b switcher.

-Stop tunning down to D? (But I dont wanna do that, D rules :lol: )

-Would using a compressor help?

Any other comments?
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Bass: balance between chord clarity and "big" single not

Postby neonblack » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Do you have multiple pickups? I had that problem on my single-pickup bass, but less so when I have multiple pickups
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Sound Saw?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby neonblack » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:57 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Sound Saw?

Oh yeah, this. And an accountant. One to get your signal in order, the other to blow it to smithereens.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Middle position pickups only. Mustang/P bass style. The way I tend to like em.

I guess im hoping to have one base tone that could be decent at doing both rather than pedals. But I'd use pedals if need be. Because we all love pedals :cool:

neon do you have your acountant yet? if you do whats it like?
Last edited by kbit on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Pedals are always the answer?!?!?!
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby neonblack » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:33 pm

kbithecrowing wrote:Middle position pickups only. Mustang/P bass style. The way I tend to like em.

I guess im hoping to have one base tone that could be decent at doing both rather than pedals. But I'd use pedals if need be. Because we all love pedals :cool:

neon do you have your acountant yet? if you do whats it like?

I won't get mine till Friday but I borrowed Chank's for a little bit. I loved it on bass. It made me love my tone again. It adds punch and the perfect amount of brightness to the signal, and gives my dirt just a little nudge. It also evens out the volume from when my tone is up and when its rolled off.

I think there's one on TGP for $125 right now. Not that much off the retail price, but every penny counts.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Are you down-tuning a standard set? You might wanna get a fatter set that has more tension at that tuning.
Play closer to the bridge when hitting multiple strings?
Use a pick?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Yeah I got a heavier set, and I use a pick almost all the time, but I should probably play towards the bridge more often.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:28 am

I had the same problem on regular guitar on the lowest two strings. Getting a bigger amp helped the minor 3rd sound both notes strong. Used to drive me crazy because I love that sound.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillofuzz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 am

Consider 12"s. I play a bass vi mostly and do both chordy stuff on higher notes/strings and fat bass (usually supplemented by an octaver and/or dirt), all with the bridge humbucker on full blast. So far, only 12" speakers have given me the 'best of both worlds', so to speak. Whenever I am in a situation that I play other people's gear I find that 15"s make me too undefined on the highs (but massive as thick fudge in the lows) and 4x/6x10"s lose the subs when the octaver is on (and I find they're somewhat more 'directional', and therefore need to be louder to hear yourself on stage). Both yield an imbalance in overall sound that isn't an issue at all when I play through my delightful 4x12 cab. Now, there might be 2x15"s out there that do have the high end response I want, and maybe an 8x10 could deliver the sound of octaver-subs I require, but I haven't run into those yet. Given the choice I really prefer my 4x12 over other people's ?x?" cabs, as does the rest of my band.
Last edited by oscillofuzz on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Howl Ensemble - Bandcamp - Facebook - Instagram - Soundcloud -
oscillofuzz

committed
committed

Postby Achtane » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:50 am

You could pretty easily add a series/parallel switch. It will probably make the pickups sound thinner and have less output, but should help. You could just switch back for big single note stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:57 pm

oscillofuzz wrote:Consider 12"s. I play a bass vi mostly and do both chordy stuff on higher notes/string and fat bass (usually supplemented by an octaver and/or dirt), all with the bridge humbucker on full blast. So far, only 12" speakers have given me the 'best of both worlds', so to speak. Whenever I am in a situation that I play other people's gear I find that 15"s make me too undefined on the highs (but massive as thick fudge in the lows) and 4x/6x10"s lose the subs when the octaver is on (and I find they're somewhat more 'directional', and therefore louder to hear yourself on stage). Both yield an imbalance in overall sound that isn't an issue at all when I play through my delightful 4x12 cab. Now, there might be 2x15"s out there that do have the high end response I want, and maybe an 8x10 could deliver the sound of octaver-subs I require, but I haven't run into those yet. Given the choice I really prefer my 4x12 over other people's ?x?" cabs, as does the rest of my band.

I use a 412 and 810 with a V4 on bass vi and bass and I was going to say the same thing. Also favor low mids over lows to clear up a lot of fundamental mud when chording on bass and play near the bridge as everyone else said.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Grrface » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:19 pm

BoatRich wrote:
oscillofuzz wrote:Consider 12"s. I play a bass vi mostly and do both chordy stuff on higher notes/string and fat bass (usually supplemented by an octaver and/or dirt), all with the bridge humbucker on full blast. So far, only 12" speakers have given me the 'best of both worlds', so to speak. Whenever I am in a situation that I play other people's gear I find that 15"s make me too undefined on the highs (but massive as thick fudge in the lows) and 4x/6x10"s lose the subs when the octaver is on (and I find they're somewhat more 'directional', and therefore louder to hear yourself on stage). Both yield an imbalance in overall sound that isn't an issue at all when I play through my delightful 4x12 cab. Now, there might be 2x15"s out there that do have the high end response I want, and maybe an 8x10 could deliver the sound of octaver-subs I require, but I haven't run into those yet. Given the choice I really prefer my 4x12 over other people's ?x?" cabs, as does the rest of my band.

I use a 412 and 810 with a V4 on bass vi and bass and I was going to say the same thing. Also favor low mids over lows to clear up a lot of fundamental mud when chording on bass and play near the bridge as everyone else said.

^^ Basically all this.
Grrface

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kbit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Now just to clarify, when yall say low mids do you mean around like, 250hz?
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass