Wenge duders/duderettes.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Wenge duders/duderettes.

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Anyone using Wenge for their neck?
I was thinking about getting one made but there are a few things I've been reading on its properties that I wanna clear up which would help me decide on which way to go, and most importantly, what to potentially spend.

I was thinking one piece with an ebony fret board, Ibanez wizard profile, standard 25.5' scale, but I've heard conflicting reports about whether or not it is suitable for a one piece.
Some say its incredibly strong and will resist the warping most one piece necks are prone to, others say it doesn't like heat and humidity too much (I live in QLD) and should be used in 3 or mor peice construction (3 piece is the other option the builder I was considering was offering).

Also, there's the matter of finish. Some say its fine to leave unfinished, which would be rad because that would keep costs down, and bare grains are sex. Others say something like a light tru oil finish should be applied to help seal it a bit, which also looks sexy. Then others say you shouldn't do that because it can fuck up the pores.

SO, who knows?
Anyone got one or a similar wood that can throw some light on this topic for me?

(Hehe, wood.)
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Wenge duders/duderettes.

Postby Twangasaurus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:12 am

Lobstrosity wrote:Dad-a-chum? Dod-a-chock?
Twangasaurus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby WayToHip » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 pm

This was last summer, but I played a '98 or so Warwick with a unfinished wenge neck. I didn't like the feel of the wood at all, the grain of the wood was massive. If you get a chance, try a wenge neck for yourself.

I will say though, that that Warwick was sexy and wood was coffee table beautiful, even the massive grains on the neck.
Tom Dalton wrote:"I want to be as big as I can if it's going to stop a bullet."
WayToHip

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah, that Warick was the thing everyone was talking about when I did some background research before posting here. People either loved it or hated it.
I'd love to try one out but the odds on finding one in my town are pretty slim. Still, it might be a good excuse to hit some guitar shops. Haven't done that in a while. Mostly because I loathe the asshats that work in those places.

And fuck yes, it looks like an amazing wood.
I think people were saying the feel of the grain depends on the way the wood is cut, so that might be another factor I need to look into.
Was also why I asked about the finish. Smoothing it out with a layer of something may be necessary???

Manga about table tennis. Crazy.
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WayToHip » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:50 pm

You would want the grains going with the length of the neck. I don't think wenge needs a finish, but I don't now a thing about wood.
Tom Dalton wrote:"I want to be as big as I can if it's going to stop a bullet."
WayToHip

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:41 pm

I've read it doesn't, which is par of the appeal in keeping costs down.
Yeah if the grains are right and it feels good and it doesn't need to be finished, I wouldn't fuck with that.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:38 am

If you're worried about humidity I would look into canary. It's more dense, less grainy and works great as a one piece. It's a little brighter in both looks and tone though.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GlitteryChunks » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:36 pm

Firstly Wenge is cool. No, it doesn't need finish. But if the wood is shitty/not cured right then it doesn't really matter what anyone says or does to it, it's going to warp. If you got a builder you trust then pull the trigger on dat shit :thumb:

As far as grain what you want is quarter saw (grain goes length-wise) This will make it more stable. I don't know of many necks that aren't quarter but they do exist. I don't see why Wenge wouldn't be quarter because then the grains would be like ribbed for her pleasure. But the truss rod has more to do with stability than the wood (once it's in there)

Some people are paranoid about their equipment, (fucking up the pores? What the shit does that even mean?) I'm not. I don't think a "thin layer" of tru oil would do shit except fall into the deeper crevices of the wood leaving the vast majority of the grain unfilled. I call BS on that one.

Wow I have an uncreative potty mouth :picard:
Great business with::: space6oy, SpaceFlunky, iamthesnow, DannDubbleEwe, leaves turn, Jero, Gigahearts_FX, PumpkinPieces, sergiomunoz74
GlitteryChunks

committed
committed

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 pm

GlitteryChunks wrote:
Wow I have an uncreative potty mouth :picard:

But otherwise, incredibly helpful. Thanks man!

When I'm cashed up again I will probably make this happen. You just answered all my questions. And tasty, those answers were.

UC: Not sure if canary is an option down here (maybe it violates one of our many bizarre quarantine laws :idk: ), I've never seen it offered as an option, but it sounds pretty good from your description there.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chaosmic » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:48 am

Love Wenge...my favorite neck wood by far. I definitely wouldn't finish it as it will take on a natural gloss over time from your hands (depending on your pH, I guess). Incredibly stable and very resonant. That said, my favorite aspect of Wenge is how fast it is. It's like the grain absorbs sweat and grime and stays fast all night...even under hot stage lights.
Chaosmic

committed
committed

Postby fuzzyoctaves » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:28 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:If you're worried about humidity I would look into canary. It's more dense, less grainy and works great as a one piece. It's a little brighter in both looks and tone though.

I got a Warmoth canary neck and haven't finished or oiled it. The feel of wood is so superior to polyurethane. When I play another guitar with a satin neck finish, it feels sticky because I am used to the sexy smooth feel of real wood. My next build will include a raw neck of either Rosewood or Wenge.
fuzzyoctaves

interested
interested

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:03 pm

SOLD.
I'm going Wenge.
Thanks fellas :thumb:
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Sick! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it and seeing some photos! :thumb:

fuzzyoctaves wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:If you're worried about humidity I would look into canary. It's more dense, less grainy and works great as a one piece. It's a little brighter in both looks and tone though.

I got a Warmoth canary neck and haven't finished or oiled it. The feel of wood is so superior to polyurethane. When I play another guitar with a satin neck finish, it feels sticky because I am used to the sexy smooth feel of real wood. My next build will include a raw neck of either Rosewood or Wenge.

Welcome, and awesome first post, haha! I'm thinking of giving wenge a go for my next build too :animal:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:42 am

Wengemasters, UNITE!
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar and Bass