Pickup noob looking for options and ideas

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pickup noob looking for options and ideas

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm working on a project guitar and am looking for ideas on a bridge pickup to drop in. I have buckers in my Jag, so I'm thinking about single coils for this. I don't have a lot of experience with pups, but the last guitar I played that really sung to me was a thinline tele with double p90s. I bought a Cobain Mustang for the neck and have been leaning towards a P-90 in the bridge. However, I wonder if I should find a bucker size one in case I ever want to switch it up? Also, I am planning on putting a usb midi brain inside the body and worried that might make any noise already present (as inherent in 90's) even worse. I'm looking for great cleans, some jangle, but hopefully still able to be warm and get FAT.

Maybe I should stick to Mustang pups? Any good noiseless 90's out there someone would recommend?

Here's a link to my build thread in case you missed it:http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=192&t=42468

Thanks!
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Re: Pickup noob looking for options and ideas

Postby doommeow » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Best of all possible worlds - low wind, lightly or unpotted, a4 humbucker.

My fav HB config for cleans. Borders on P90 territory w/o noise issues.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tristan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:53 pm

I love those Charlie Christian type pickups (Lollar), and Filtertrons (TV Jones).
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions -- so much (too much?) information out there with so many variables. I had no idea about the different characteristics of all the kinds of Alnico!

I ended up being stuck on wanting a P-90 -- the sound/size/looks really appeal to me. Still, more and more I was afraid of the hum from interactions with the midi brain so I took a chance on a SD stacked p-90 I found a deal on, so it was hard to pass up. It can also be wired for series/parallel/split modes and I'm a sucker for options, so once I saw it there was really no going back...

Going to wire it up with Mustang switches: one on/on/on for the 3 mods on the SD, and one on/on/on for bridge/both/neck pups. I'm probably going to need help with getting it all wired up. :erm:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby finboy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:48 am

I have never regretted going p90 myself, the buzz is worth it to me. I use various gibson pickups, some people hate them and say "boutique is best" but I'm not complaining so far. If you want another unique option, check out the tvjones t-arrmond, killer pickup.
Plenty of noise, little discernible skill or talent
finboy

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:49 am

P90's are awesome. I've seen a few companies (including Creamery) who have been putting out some more recent soapbar noiseless P90s. Never played any though
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:19 am

Im about to get a guitar with those SD P rails installed. I can give you my impression once I get it.

however I generally hate bridge pickups :lol:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:26 am

I will definitely report back on how I find the SD noiseless 90's.

kbithecrowing wrote:Im about to get a guitar with those SD P rails installed. I can give you my impression once I get it.
however I generally hate bridge pickups :lol:

I looked long and hard at the P-rails too, but in the end I was stuck on the look of 90's coupled with them being thinner = could be easier to fit all the shizz I am planning underneath the guard.

I am learning to love the trashy, biting bridge pup sound, though admit that I'm a bit afraid this will sound too ice-pick for my liking...

Getting a guitar, you say. :cool:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby finboy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:35 am

One thing to really watch out for with p90's is pickup height, they are very sensitive to string proximity, so expect to spend some time on setup.
Plenty of noise, little discernible skill or talent
finboy

committed
committed

Return to Guitar and Bass