look right here for me
it was...uhh...swamp gas...or something

hey hows that new sg sound dude?
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Picked up a SG this weekend...

Postby braaandooon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Sounds great actually,still playing it with training wheels on somewhat. All my playing has pretty much been with super strats, equipped with emg's and floyd trems, so this sg is a completely different beast.

Over the past year I've been trying out alot of different pedals, and have taken a liking to oscillating fuzz. Problems surfaced when I found out that emg's and fuzz's that oscillate don't mix. Decided it was time to look for a new axe that was passive, and hardtailed. I've always liked the look of sg's, but could never afford one. I found this beauty sitting in a shop, located in a heavily amish populated part of Pennsylvania. The owner of the shop had been sitting on it for awhile as the locals basically "hated" it. I offered $500 and walked away with it.

The guitar is in great shape, with some light wear on the back, and a small area of checking on the backside of the neck. Didn't like the 490t in the bridge so put a duncan distortion in as soon as I got her home.

Outside of all that, I couldn't be any happier with my tone, every time I start playing a few notes, my rig coaxes out my inner brent hinds, and I find myself playing alot of the lead parts from mastodon's crack the skye.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby GuitarSlim101 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:40 pm

Very nice. I've had that same guitar since 2007ish. The finish really is fantastic looking, and the neck profile is great. I snapped the neck off mine a few months ago, but it glued up nicely and holds tune better than it did before the break. Also have a p90 in the bridge, paf copy in he neck, a Bigsby, and the pickguard is cut from an INXS album.

$500 is a great price, too. Enjoy that guitar.
GuitarSlim101

committed
committed

Postby Sardocasm » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 am

Congrats. That SG looks fantastic in that colour.
Sardocasm

committed
committed

Postby braaandooon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:50 am

Definatly the best $500 I've ever spent, its hard for me to put it down, steal of deal considering theres one on reverb for $1300, didn't think these were that sought after considering most used specials dont demand any more than 5-6 bills.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby braaandooon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:00 pm

GuitarSlim101 wrote:Very nice. I've had that same guitar since 2007ish. The finish really is fantastic looking, and the neck profile is great. I snapped the neck off mine a few months ago, but it glued up nicely and holds tune better than it did before the break. Also have a p90 in the bridge, paf copy in he neck, a Bigsby, and the pickguard is cut from an INXS album.

$500 is a great price, too. Enjoy that guitar.

Sounds sick, I'd like to see a pic of that, Ive seen some cool examples of modded flip flop sg's, just seen one recently with a jazzmaster trem installed, need to dig that pic up when I get the chance.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby wafl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 am

braaandooon wrote:Sounds great actually,still playing it with training wheels on somewhat. All my playing has pretty much been with super strats, equipped with emg's and floyd trems, so this sg is a completely different beast.

Over the past year I've been trying out alot of different pedals, and have taken a liking to oscillating fuzz. Problems surfaced when I found out that emg's and fuzz's that oscillate don't mix. Decided it was time to look for a new axe that was passive, and hardtailed. I've always liked the look of sg's, but could never afford one. I found this beauty sitting in a shop, located in a heavily amish populated part of Pennsylvania. The owner of the shop had been sitting on it for awhile as the locals basically "hated" it. I offered $500 and walked away with it.

The guitar is in great shape, with some light wear on the back, and a small area of checking on the backside of the neck. Didn't like the 490t in the bridge so put a duncan distortion in as soon as I got her home.

Outside of all that, I couldn't be any happier with my tone, every time I start playing a few notes, my rig coaxes out my inner brent hinds, and I find myself playing alot of the lead parts from mastodon's crack the skye.

That's genius!
Amish areas are where all the Fuzz deals are to be had!
To the Amish!

Wait there are no amish people in canada. :(
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby braaandooon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 am

Lol, yah, but not surprisingly, the store was stocked with mainly acoustic instruments, I dont think there was a single pedal to be had at that store. Apparently they haven't created amplifiers that run on candle power.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby GuitarSlim101 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:30 pm

braaandooon wrote:
Sounds sick, I'd like to see a pic of that, Ive seen some cool examples of modded flip flop sg's, just seen one recently with a jazzmaster trem installed, need to dig that pic up when I get the chance.

Here's a shitty iPhone picture. I had a B7 Bigsby on it a while back that looked better than the B5, so I'll be changing that in the near future.

And for fun, here's how it looked broken
GuitarSlim101

committed
committed

Postby braaandooon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 am

Thats just heavily relic'd lol. Blooz lawyers pay good money to do that to there closet queens.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass