Let's see your BASS VI, people

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your BASS VI, people

Postby drolo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:57 am

lefchr wrote:Image

So I went a little nuts with the spray paint. The new strings are fantastic. The new wiring definitely helped, it is now louder than my strat, before it was quieter.

Nice stripes :-)
Would you mind sharing some info about that wiring you mentioned?
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lefchr » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:40 pm

The wiring is the same I just replaced the pots with 500k cts pots I had around. I also had some vintage style cloth wire that I ran from the pickup control switches to the volume instead of whatever was in there. Also, I put some shielding tape under the pickups. I would have done the rest of the cavity but I ran out. At some point I'll pick some more up and finish the job.
lefchr

committed
committed

Postby fever606 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Finally ordered a wide Staytrem bridge for my VI! :joy: Trying to figure out what pickups to do next, mulling a pair of Jaguar Quarter Pounders (I really liked the Jazzmaster QPs in my Jazzuar) but not sure what to do for the third... :grumpy:
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby drolo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:29 pm

lefchr wrote:The wiring is the same I just replaced the pots with 500k cts pots I had around. I also had some vintage style cloth wire that I ran from the pickup control switches to the volume instead of whatever was in there. Also, I put some shielding tape under the pickups. I would have done the rest of the cavity but I ran out. At some point I'll pick some more up and finish the job.

Thanks!
Funny that this made the guitar sound louder. Perhaps the added treble from the pot swap or a combination of little things adding up :-)
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lefchr » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:48 pm

drolo wrote:
lefchr wrote:The wiring is the same I just replaced the pots with 500k cts pots I had around. I also had some vintage style cloth wire that I ran from the pickup control switches to the volume instead of whatever was in there. Also, I put some shielding tape under the pickups. I would have done the rest of the cavity but I ran out. At some point I'll pick some more up and finish the job.

Thanks!
Funny that this made the guitar sound louder. Perhaps the added treble from the pot swap or a combination of little things adding up :-)

Im guessing the thicker strings helped too. but the wires that run from the pickup controls to the volume/tone are the same sizes as the one that had both in it before. I thought maybe I adjusted the amp, but i switched guitars to confirm it changed. and i just got my staytrem in so that will be going on today.
lefchr

committed
committed

Postby lefchr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 pm

Has anyone changed the value on the strangle switch's capacitor? I was thinking of going with something that allowed a little more of the low end through. It would make the switch much more useable if it didn't have as much of a volume drop.

Just a idea I've been thinking about.
lefchr

committed
committed

Postby drolo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 am

lefchr wrote:Has anyone changed the value on the strangle switch's capacitor? I was thinking of going with something that allowed a little more of the low end through. It would make the switch much more useable if it didn't have as much of a volume drop.

Just a idea I've been thinking about.

I did. I thought the original cap value cut too much bass for my liking as well. Really nasal...
Don't remember what value I ended up using though ..try a few and see what sounds best :-)
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gerb » Sat May 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Staytrem got in like a week ago and was an easy swap, but the tortoise scratchplate came in today, so installed it right away. Looks and sounds better imo, but one thing I still can't live with, is the E string still being too floppy. Maybe a little more shim, but that's something for later.
Gerb

interested
interested

Postby Inconuucl » Sat May 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby aen » Sat May 06, 2017 4:17 pm

BoatRich wrote:So I put a jaguar baritone custom (e-e baritone jag, CIJ) on layaway today and I'm so fucking stoked. No pics yet, but I'm trying to decide what pickups to put in it, the stock ones are kinda weird and weak

I was going to replace pickups on mine, but there's something bizzare and cool about that shit neck pickup being so bright and metallic. SOunds really cool through a dark amp. But yeah, that's a really specialized situation.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby RolandJC120 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:58 pm

What gauge of strings are you guys using to combat the floppiness of the bass? I have a bass VI and a jagaur as that both have terrible floppy Es
RolandJC120

interested
interested

Postby lefchr » Thu May 11, 2017 7:13 am

RolandJC120 wrote:What gauge of strings are you guys using to combat the floppiness of the bass? I have a bass VI and a jagaur as that both have terrible floppy Es

I'm using the kalium 106 gauge set
lefchr

committed
committed

Postby wafl » Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 pm

I use the kalium 102 set and its just tight enough.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby oscillofuzz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:41 am

RolandJC120 wrote:What gauge of strings are you guys using to combat the floppiness of the bass? I have a bass VI and a jagaur as that both have terrible floppy Es

I use Labella .095 from a 767-6x set; has worked fine for the past 3 years. I have a Kalium set somewhere but fear the even thicker low E string would be too wide for the relatively thin neck and would cause a tonal imbalance across the strings, and I don't want to increase the gauges of the other strings any further because it would make double stops/chord work higher up on the neck quite uncomfortable (and I do this quite often; it's a baritonesque instrument after all).
The Howl Ensemble - Bandcamp - Facebook - Instagram - Soundcloud -
oscillofuzz

committed
committed

Postby mathias » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 am

I was just thinking last night about how rad an aluminum neck Bass VI would be. Probably too low of a demand for anyone with the capabilities to do a run, though. And not sure if you'd need an even heavier body to offset neck dive (maybe not?)
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass