· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Guitar and bass lounge at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

NBD - one year in the making

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Finally finished my home-built bass after pretty exactly one year (build thread here.)
Some setup work left to do but it's playable already.

Maple set neck and Alder body, rosewood fretboard, split coil pickup. Currently tuned to C standard.
So excited! :yay:
Attachments
CIMG3646.JPG

Re: NBD - one year in the making

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm

more pix!

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 pm

dubkitty wrote:more pix!

With pleasure! You'll have to wait until tomorrow, though.

[edit:]Or whenever attachments are working again...

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:22 am

OMG pix!!!
(all clickable for larger size)
CIMG3648.JPG

CIMG3653.JPG

CIMG3651.JPG

CIMG3654.JPG

The very thick neck, may not even need the trussrod. I'm tempted to get the file out again and thin it down - maybe in a few months time?

CIMG3652.JPG

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:31 am

CIMG3650.JPG

I do like how the picture below turned out.
CIMG3655.JPG

Since then I've installed the trussrod cover.
CIMG3662.JPG

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:39 am

And now for the not so glamorous shots.

As I mentioned in the build thread, the cross grain cuts proved a problem for the lacquer with lots of pin sized holes appearing. Also note the slight bleed onto the binding.
CIMG3658.JPG

CIMG3660.JPG

If you look closely you can see the edge of the neck heel extending into the body here:
CIMG3661.JPG

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:36 pm

nice work dude, that looks so sweet.

what is the width of the body?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks!

The body is 4.5cm thick and 33cm across (1.75"/13") , which is the same as a p bass, I believe.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:06 pm

you can find instruments with worse flaws than that being sold in the shops as professional grade instruments. that's an admirable job, especially for a first build. maybe someday i'll have the guts to build something from scratch. well done!

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Yeah, I dig it.

Nice work.

I like thick necks. I'd say keep it the way it is unless it's too uncomfortable for you.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:51 pm

I LIKE THICK NECKS AND I CANNOT LIE

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:52 pm

dubkitty wrote:you can find instruments with worse flaws than that being sold in the shops as professional grade instruments. that's an admirable job, especially for a first build. maybe someday i'll have the guts to build something from scratch. well done!

Yeah, that having the guts thing. It took me 3 months agonising over getting the neck blank rectangular and sawing the wood to get the headstock face - never mind cutting the outline or routing the trussrod channel. It did get easier as I went along. Still, I recommend it; the feeling of achievement every step of the way is great.

Re: the thick neck: I did want a thicker neck to take some pressure off the thumb but it takes some getting used to. It feels very strange switching between this and my Jet King with the typically skinny Ibanez neck.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 pm

GAUGEOUS
Post a reply