Finally found a Squier Mascis Jazzmaster

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Finally found a Squier Mascis Jazzmaster

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:23 pm

MF finally was off backorder for a minute this morning, snagged one and should be here Tuesday.

Will be curious to see how it stacks up to the Blacktops and Classic Players it should be competing against.

Review and initial impressions will be posted as soon as I have it, even have a new Space Echo cartridge primed for the occasion.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Finally found a Squier Mascis Jazzmaster

Postby skullservant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Nice! Looking forward to the review
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby misc1600 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 pm

skullservant wrote:Nice! Looking forward to the review
Classy ILF PEPS: Caesar, benjuro, Blindtofaith, the_necropolitan, Cody_Pole, bob the r0bot, Chaosmic, tigerbass, Kbithecrowing, Psyre, Stanimal, Skip, Ilikewater, StopReferencing, StupidDream88, ZZZZZ
misc1600

committed
committed

Postby huggernaut » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I've heard great things about these. Can't wait for impressions dude.
CBA wrote:All anyone really "needs" is a fuzzbox anyway. Everything else is just dicking around.
huggernaut

committed
committed

Postby CBA » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:31 am

Glad you found one, homes. I looooooooooooooooooove mine. Seriously. It feels like a totally "real" guitar, whatever that means, and as far as I can tell, was built flawlessly. I'm not used to the 25.5" scale (I play a Gibson Faded Special) yet, but everything else is great. Stays in tune... better than my Gibson, but that fucker has been through a lot. Haven't picked it up since I got the Mascis, though, and I got it uuuhhhhhhh in November or Decemeber?

I don't know if it's because I expect less, but I've found that I get way more use and happiness out of "cheap" guitars. Played it the other night at a show and two or three people... even some non-musicians... commented on how great it sounded. Maybe I got a "good" one if there are bad ones. Not sure.

Anyway... get yerself a nice hardshell case and you got yourself a keeper!

C

P.S. Sorry to be so gushy, but I'm really impressed with mine... got it for $315 too (which I've mentioned countless times :whateva: )
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:49 am

Yea, hope I get a good one. I've had a good history with the old MIJ and MIM Squiers (before anyone gave a crap about either) and still have two; I just wanted a Jazzmaster for an irrational reason, $400 fell into my lap unexpectedly, and MF actually got some in that very morning.

I've got my Jaguar and Mustang already for offset six-string evil, but hey, another can't be bad and I can abuse it without guilt.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby univalve » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:53 am

i played one at Musikmesse and now want one too (very badly). rfurtkamp, nice decision! :thumb:
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:26 am

rfurtkamp wrote: . . . even have a new Space Echo cartridge primed for the occasion.

Off-topic hijack, but what are you doing for cartridges? NOS or something else? My RE-201 loop still seems good, but once I fix the reverb and change out the filter caps I might start noticing otherwise.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am

Gone Fission wrote:
rfurtkamp wrote: . . . even have a new Space Echo cartridge primed for the occasion.

Off-topic hijack, but what are you doing for cartridges? NOS or something else? My RE-201 loop still seems good, but once I fix the reverb and change out the filter caps I might start noticing otherwise.

I've got a few I ordered from ebay that seem decent, but can cut them if needed from the same reels I made up replacements for my 301 back in the day when the chances of finding spares was about as good as finding a million bucks in a box of Pop Tarts.

Ebay ones apparently are hit or miss from the various reviews, but in general I'd attribute it to the maintenance/condition of the machines more than the tape stock 99% of the time.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:40 pm

CBA wrote:P.S. Sorry to be so gushy, but I'm really impressed with mine... got it for $315 too (which I've mentioned countless times :whateva: )

Good deal. How'd you get such a low price?

My general technique is to just pick up the phone and ask for a discount. That usually will get you 10% off. Playing softball ("I'm buying this guitar today, and everyone has it at the same price") will get you 15%. Playing hardball ("I buy lots of guitars, and I don't like having to argue over price. Give me the price I want and you earn my future business, don't give me the price I want and my business goes to your competitors") will get you 20% off.

In the last year, I got about 10% off of a $170 Squier VM Jag SS (via a free cable), and I bought a Standard Strat for $400.99 (~20%).

Mike
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:45 pm

FWIW i know a couple of folks personally who have Squier JMJMs and have seen at least a dozen people talk about theirs online, and haven't heard a single bad report. i A/Bed the two my friends own, one all-stock and the other with Novak vintage PUs; they were of equal and excellent build quality, and i actually preferred the stock PUs which are punchier. sometimes they nail one of the inexpensive models, like Epiphone did with the P90 goldtop which i've also never seen a bad example of; they appear to have nailed the Squier JMJM to the point that all i can say is "where's the Jaguar?"
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby wsas3 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Mike wrote:
CBA wrote:P.S. Sorry to be so gushy, but I'm really impressed with mine... got it for $315 too (which I've mentioned countless times :whateva: )

Good deal. How'd you get such a low price?

My general technique is to just pick up the phone and ask for a discount. That usually will get you 10% off. Playing softball ("I'm buying this guitar today, and everyone has it at the same price") will get you 15%. Playing hardball ("I buy lots of guitars, and I don't like having to argue over price. Give me the price I want and you earn my future business, don't give me the price I want and my business goes to your competitors") will get you 20% off.

In the last year, I got about 10% off of a $170 Squier VM Jag SS (via a free cable), and I bought a Standard Strat for $400.99 (~20%).

Mike

May try that with an ASAT.
Chankgeez wrote:True, but you can also use the Klon as a tremolo. Just stomp on the switch as fast or slow as you'd like.

Good dealings with: benjuro, hatshirt(2), Eric!, insubordination, theavondon, skullservant, Ilikewater, GardenoftheDead, AndyTran, behndy, JerryTRCD, StopReferencing, philibis, jfrey, bob the robot, Noise..., space60y(x2), jskadiang, Ryan(2), Helter, mordecainyc, many more
wsas3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zounds Perspex » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:44 am

cool. I just got my modded/upgraded Squier JMJM yesterday - cool guit. The Pickup Wizards sound greeeeat. I don't think it's going to replace my '65 in my heart any time soon, but it's a nice guit.

another pic!

modded squier mascis by Zounds Perspex, on Flickr
Maybe partying will help.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:18 am

Looks nice with the changed pickguard et al; I'm figuring out what to do to mine if it passes muster.

I haven't decorated or done cosmetic things to a guitar in ages, and it's time.

Gotta find me somebody who will make me a Squier Jazzfuckingmaster decal.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Zounds Perspex » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 am

cool. Tym pretty thoroughly reviews this guy here, if you haven't seen it- http://www.tymguitars.com.au/?p=6029

and here's a link to a thread made by the dude that modded mine, if you want to change any pickups/hardware - some cool tips - http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =6&t=55717

and I for one don't like the new gold pickguards - love the 50's Jazzmaster gold ones, but these just don't have that same...something. ymmv, of course.
Maybe partying will help.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass