Finally found a Squier Mascis Jazzmaster

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Finally found a Squier Mascis Jazzmaster

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Zounds Perspex wrote:and I for one don't like the new gold pickguards - love the 50's Jazzmaster gold ones, but these just don't have that same...something. ymmv, of course.

They probably don't have enough age on the guards for you. Try to taking the guard off and giving it an unbuffed, matte-ish coating of some lightly tinted lacquer or some such.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Zounds Perspex » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:11 pm

that might work. they're definitely too shiny and too yellow-ish. that said...mint guard works great for me!
Maybe partying will help.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:43 am

i've seen a picture of one with a tortoise guard that was tres sexxxxxay.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby rfurtkamp » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:08 am

I need a pickguard that expresses the profound suffering of the workers. ;0
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:14 pm

you could just slap a Rage Against The Machine sticker on the one you've already got :poke: :lol:

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby hclapp219 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:18 pm

rfurtkamp wrote:I need a pickguard that expresses the profound suffering of the workers. ;0

I'm thinking a leather pickguard. You can have "The skin off our backs" burned into it...
hclapp219

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:22 pm

...or have the name of your crime carved into it.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Ëngraved mother of hazardous waste container, with "I already own six instruments, I made you suffer for nothing" is a leading contender right now as I wait for the Fexex guy.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby stilwel » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:52 pm

I was lucky enough to get one of the first batch back in December. I absolutely LOVE this guitar. I haven't touched anything else (LP's, Strat, Riviera) since I got it. It plays great right out of the box.
stilwel

committed
committed

Postby madmax1012 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 pm

i second that whole, not liking of the gold pickguard. maybe it's the gold on white, but i'd totally replace that shit
Fuzzy Fred wrote: please excuse me. can we keep this discussion civil and about donkey fucking?

hbombgraphics wrote:Why does it have to be Digital, but with an analog soul and buffalo semen???
madmax1012

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby stilwel » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Wow really? I love the classic gold on white motif.
stilwel

committed
committed

Postby madmax1012 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:24 pm

stilwel wrote:Wow really? I love the classic gold on white motif.

for some reason it just doesn't do anything for me.
Fuzzy Fred wrote: please excuse me. can we keep this discussion civil and about donkey fucking?

hbombgraphics wrote:Why does it have to be Digital, but with an analog soul and buffalo semen???
madmax1012

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Arrived in one piece earlier.

As expected, gold pickguard just has to go. It looks period correct and all but I feel like I'm looking at Elvis' coffin.

Only cosmetic nitpick out of the box is the trem arm tip is 2 piece, and the mold/join isn't particularly clean. I can't fault it much for that, but well, it is what it is. I'll sand/file it down some later.

Setup was almost spot on out of the box, which is impressive given I'm at 5k elevation. Fret sprout/sharp ends just aren't there, frankly surprising, since I usually can draw blood on guitars shipped to me here.

Finish is thick but looks decent, guitar has a decent heft to it even with the basswood body, and the maple on the neck shows nice grain and a well-applied tint that isn't overbearing or veering into orange. Back of neck finish is very light and feels nice, it's well polished and feels broken in somewhat already.

I had intended to spend some time with it plugged in after setup and tuning, but that's escaped me for right now as I just sat here on the couch unplugged with it for a couple hours.

Will report back on the electronics and pickups, but as a simple hunk of wood and metal it sounds decent unplugged and plays well. No cheap, thin Chinese neck cramping up my hands either, which is expected given the listed wider than AVRI width at nut but very pleasant nonetheless.

Sadly I have to get at least a few hours of sleep this afternoon to make up for what I lost dealing with the insurance company this morning, but If the electronics are half as good as the thing feels to just noodle around on, it may be the bargain of the century.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby univalve » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 am

nice writeup. thanks.
rfurtkamp wrote:As expected, gold pickguard just has to go. It looks period correct and all but I feel like I'm looking at Elvis' coffin.

you will lose unplugged volume and the sound will change (not that much presence and upper harmonics "ring"). i'm curious what you think when you swapped it. (i have on all JMs the anodized pickguards)
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 am

Yea, was wondering given the characteristics of aluminum. Not in an immediate hurry, cosmetics aren't the most important thing or I'd have shelled out for something in a different color as well. ;)

Plugged in, it's got quite a range; tone zero on the rhythm circuit is exceedingly, exceedingly dark - but works for some very very biting octave fuzz settings I had laying around. Clean it's pleasant and a little woody, a bit of meat to the pickups I don't normally associate with JM pickups - as others have noted in their own reviews. It sounds good though, and can be tamed by rolling the volume knob down a bit.

Shielding and hum-wise I'm very impressed for a budget instrument; it's obviously wired right and has enough paint/foil to make things acceptably quiet even with high-gain settings.

Pedalwise it killed with a Devi Soda Meiser and Fender Blender; sounds good with the other couple I pulled off the shelf immediately but those were definite standouts.

I certainly don't *need* the guitar but it makes me happy and that counts for something. Will probably revisit if warranted in a couple weeks once the initial happy has worn off.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass