Electrical Guitar Company Guitars

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Electrical Guitar Company Guitars

Postby skullservant » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:41 pm

Alright, I suppose I've blasted it everywhere else on the forum except where it should be.
I just bought second hand one of THEBEERHAMMER's rejected EGC's, and I'm absolutely, positively in love with it.
I figured I'd give my best write up of it, and compare it to the really old Obstructures that I had (that in no way is a comparison of their current model)
My apologies for the pictures being not that great, I just need to actually find the memory card for my camera so I can take some better pictures.

It's an EGC Standard, with the addition of a pickguard, the subtraction of a neck pickup, no selector switch, no tone control. Just as I would have preferred to have it had I ordered my own. As many of you know, I kind of have a thing with guitars with only one pickup haha

I've learned that there are 2-3 of these- the original 2 dot inlay, this 3 dot inlay, and then the final version without inlays.

I present to you EGC 956.

This guitar is pretty interesting. It's got the thicker neck option, which I was surprised with when I opened up the case, but actually really glad that it has. The neck is super comfortable. In terms of a comparison to an existing neck thickness, from my experience the neck I could most easily compare it to would be a MIM Strat neck, except just a hair bit thicker. It's definitely not anywhere near the shredder neck that is the thinner option. This thickness doesn't necessarily make you slow down, but it definitely is a good grip in your hand without having to really rely on your thumb as much (at least in my case) bringing the rest of your hand down for such a thin neck.

The raw/uncoated aluminum is smooth with no tooth, and feels great. The radius is pretty wide, but not completely flat. I would guess a 12", or 9.5", maybe. The neck is already starting to wear (which I read was the intent of leaving it raw). I believe I'm the third owner of it now, and either the first or second owner of the guitar are married, because the right side of the neck where the ring finger would be has marks on it from a wedding band. I think it's pretty awesome that it'll show wear over time. The action is consistently pretty low across the entire neck, which makes playing pretty effortless. The coolest thing that I've noticed is that it shipped to me with fairly thin strings on it (my guess is 10's), but I was able to pull off dropping down the guitar to C last night with fairly minimal buzz and flop.

As far as the headstock goes, if any of you aren't familiar, it's most notably been used on the IsotonaG signature model:

I was quite surprised how thick the top portion of the headstock was compared to how it appears to be in pictures, it seems to be about 1/3 thicker than the standard EGC neck, but surprisingly there is hardly any neck dive at all on the guitar. Having a 6 in line headstock is definitely an easier transition for me than the 3/3 traditional headstock and I'm coming to love how different it is.

The overall weight of the guitar isn't nearly as noticeable as the old Obstructures that I had. I recorded with it over at Grrface's house last night and my back didn't hurt at all after using it for over an hour or two. I'd put it somewhere in the 9-10 pound range, but the weight is well distributed and again if there is any neck dive with the model, it's very slight and there really isn't an effort to hold the neck up or anything.

As far as the overall construction goes, it's spot on. The frets are nicely dressed, the neck and headstock have a more industrial look to them, you can definitely see where a machine was used to make the cuts, which I enjoy. The body is smooth, and the textured back piece is a nice contrast to the stark white top piece. My first time playing a guitar with an aluminum nut, and I enjoy it. Even the knob itself is well designed, has a nice tooth to it for easy volume adjustment. I noticed with this guitar that I don't find myself tuning it as much as it warms up, I had feared that tuning stability might be an issue from other EGC owners, but I took the guitar right out of it's case last night, jammed with it for a few minutes, tuned it, and it was good the rest of the night until I REALLY dug into it playing in Drop C with .10's, which I completely understand.

Acoustically the guitar is LOUD, as loud as the Obstructures that I had, if not louder, and you can really hear and feel it ring out without actually plugging it into an amp. I feel like the chambered body also aides in the acoustic property of just how freaking loud the thing is without an amp.

Plugging it into an amp, the humbucker is bold and clear- probably one of the most articulate humbuckers that I've played, and well balanced. To contrast the humbucker, when I had my Obstructures I sent it to Kevin who dropped in EGC single coils. Compared to the single coils, the humbucker has more mids presence and doesn't have the hair of scoop that the single coils did to my ear. The pickup itself is pretty hot, I find myself rolling off the volume sometimes just a hair unless I want to slam fuzz with it. When I first plugged it into the Verellen Spaldo, it made the amp overdrive a bit, which was pretty cool. I noticed that the single coils had about the same amount of output, just a crazy loudness to them. The taper of the volume pot is pretty quick being linear, but I can still do volume swells with ease and it works with just rolling back the volume a bit too, so I'm content.

The pickup handles any sort of fuzz or distortion that I throw at it. It cuts through well, is loud, bold, and just demands attention. Clean tones again are crisp and clear, and the pickup lets you really hear the harmonics of the aluminum, I think that's my favorite part about them- they aren't a distraction or a coloring of what the guitar is all about. The tone itself is just a hair bit on the brighter side of things, on a scale from 0 being dark and 10 bring ice pick, the base tone is about a 7- but I think that's what makes it cut through so well, and it's nowhere near an icepick.

The sustain is great and the harmonics are rich and present everywhere. It's an easy to play guitar. There is no struggle with it. It just flows.

Of course I can't leave anything alone, and I wanted to look inside of it, so I unscrewed the back piece from to top piece and took a look inside:

Anyways, I think that's about it. If anyone is interested, here is what the EGC sounded like through a Way Huge Fat Sandwich, into a Verellen 50w amp and B Custom 2x12, recorded in a basement and minimally edited. As Grrface and I were reviewing what we had previously recorded for the track below, we scrapped everything and started over- I just let it rip and improvised with the EGC.

Anyways, I think that's about it. If you're considering purchasing an EGC, I hope this review helps! If not, I'm sorry!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Nice write up, skully. Very GAS inducing.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Barracuda » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Nice write up, skully. Very GAS inducing.

You're not kidding about the GAS... Thanks skully, that was awesome.
Barracuda

committed
committed

Postby dub » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:03 am

After all the other ILF EGCs that have came and gone recently, it's nice to see one come home.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby DarkAxel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:53 am

awesome! congrats on the purchase :)

this doesn't sound like the horror guitar we've been told about :lol:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby phantasmagorovich » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:46 am

Re: tuning stability, a fellow aluminum lover (records by the monicker N, check out his stuff on Denovali records /plug) has taught me that there is a very simple trick to it: aluminum will contract and expand more with temperature changes than wood. That does not mean it'll lose the tuning at all, it's quite controllable really. Put it in tune at the normal temperature and if you transport it and it cools down you will just have to wait (and maybe rub the neck warm or something) until it goes back in tune. Just don't expect it to be correct out of the case.

And that is a beautiful guitar, skully. Hit me up if you ever want to let it go.. ;)
(I know you will eventually.)
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eivind August » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:52 am

That is one sexy piece o' metal!
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby skullservant » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:03 am

phantasmagorovich wrote:Re: tuning stability, a fellow aluminum lover (records by the monicker N, check out his stuff on Denovali records /plug) has taught me that there is a very simple trick to it: aluminum will contract and expand more with temperature changes than wood. That does not mean it'll lose the tuning at all, it's quite controllable really. Put it in tune at the normal temperature and if you transport it and it cools down you will just have to wait (and maybe rub the neck warm or something) until it goes back in tune. Just don't expect it to be correct out of the case.

And that is a beautiful guitar, skully. Hit me up if you ever want to let it go.. ;)
(I know you will eventually.)

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing the first time I tuned it. Played it for a few minutes until it warmed up, and it's been good to go ever since!

And nahhhhhhh, I know I flip a lot of stuff but this one was my dream come true!!!!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Awesome skully, congrats!

I'm still head over heels for my Chessie, def my #1. The EGC humbuckers are quite incredible, articulate and powerful but I esp love the inner and outer coil tap options on each, tons of versatility. Mine isn't overly bright either, just very harmonicly rich and sounds better the louder the amp goes. Acoustically it's super loud as well, nothing else I own has ever rang out like that unplugged.

Tuning on mine is real stable but as mentioned it needs to warm up. I always have to retune again a second time after I get to playing it but then it stays put. And while mine isn't raw it is brushed and matte anodized which is fairly close and i have the thick neck option. I love love love the way the finish looks and feels. :thumb:
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby skullservant » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 pm

I'd be curious to hear the humbucker tapped just for kicks, mostly to see how it compares in the context of this guitar.. I really, really dig it though, everything about it. And you're right about the acoustics. Even compared to the old Obstructures, its like holy shit, grab a mic and you've got an acoustic guitar!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:35 am

SUPApritty. I like the inside shot. Are the neck and body all one piece or is it welded?
I wonder how they account for the string tension affecting the neck and setup. The neck's not totally flat, is it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:44 am

Achtane wrote:SUPApritty. I like the inside shot. Are the neck and body all one piece or is it welded?
I wonder how they account for the string tension affecting the neck and setup. The neck's not totally flat, is it?

Generally the necks carry a 0.004" relief and 12" radius.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby louderthangod » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:31 am

I can tap the pickup on my V. The humbucker is really high output and maybe it would be more useful in something more PAF like that on my double neck but it just sounds like a weak tone...less output, kinda thin but not in a spanky/twangy single coil way. One of my issues with both of my EGC's is that they don't clean up nicely or even at all compared to my Bare Knuckle's when I back off the volume on a dirty Matamp. It's caused me to run my amp cleaner and to rely on pedals more for the bulk of my dirt rather than for just going over the top liked I used to use them.
[b]“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
― Mark Rothko
http://www.floatingglasses.bandcamp.com http://theworshipofsilence.bandcamp.com
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Postby Jeff-7 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 pm

TBH I've never dug the sound from taps, even on my SG. Output goes to hell and if you're expecting a single coil/P90 sound they just don't seem to get there.
Good deals with: Officer Bukowski, Caesar, BriBri, Amorphous, ThePastRecedes
Jeff-7

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Yeah the EGC pickup is super hot, but I'm getting used to it. When I roll off the volume it helps a decent amount.
And I feel you on coil splits. I generally haven't been a fan. I have a GFS humbucker that can split and it sounds horrible when split, and then I've tried splitting an alumitone and a Dimarzio rail. All of them just sounded a little weak.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass