Let's see your GUITAR!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Postby Mechanical Television » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:08 am

My loves..

[img][img]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/mechanicaltelevision/100_3524.jpg[/img][/img]
Mechanical Television

interested
interested

Postby Antero » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:27 am

I have one of those Danelectro DC3s too, fun stuff, but my main guitar is this one - Carvin DC135, Vintage Vibe HS90A in the bridge position. You can't see all the dings in this picture, aside from the chip on the side which goes down to the wood and actually looks like I hit it with a hammer or something up close. I threw it when the power tubes in my amp blew up at the end of a set. :D

It's really a shredder sort of design, but I kinda went for the tuxedo-black look. A friend in another band commented that it didn't really look like it matched the type of music I was playing, which is pretty true - no metal here, and I think I'm the only guy to ever use a Carvin DC with a Silvertone 1484 amp - but it actually sounds kinda perfect and doesn't look as out of place as you'd expect.

Antero

committed
committed

Postby basti moon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:20 am

How´s that Danelectro U2? I´ve almost bought one many times and want to know what I´m missing out on.
My new friend is in the mail tomorrow, I can´t wait!
basti moon

committed
committed

Postby AlexK » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:24 pm

edit: Image
Got it now! ^^
My white Standard Fender Tele (Mexico)..<3

(thx lookslikemeband! ^^)
Last edited by AlexK on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexK

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby lookslikemeband » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:29 pm

A little help ^^^^^^^^^^

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby basti moon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:39 pm

Ran around town to get my new guitar today and here it is, though the picture makes it look like a blur. I´m sure someone interested could get a real picture anywhere else.
It´s really fun to play, I´ll probably be making a lot of music with it in the future. Maybe some modifications though, the pu's are a bit quiet and the bigsby might perhaps go over to the les paul.
Any suggestions other than that?
I know you know how to make stuff awesome
:thumb:
Attachments
DSC00059.JPG
Gretsch Superjet Baritone/Bass
(434.79 KiB) Downloaded 830 times
basti moon

committed
committed

Postby basti moon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:33 am

And here´s what my new friend sounds like. I´ve tuned it to an F now so it´s more like a regular baritone, but when it arrived it had a low E tuning, one octave below your normal pet.
Sorry bout the clipping, too little sleep to remember turning volume knobs.
I try to use the whole register on it, but this instrument puts me in strange territory. I thought it was going to be just another new guitar :!!!:
Attachments
Putday.mp3
Normal basti improv tomfoolery
(3.05 MiB) Downloaded 653 times
basti moon

committed
committed

Postby Suilebhain » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:45 pm

Wow, that's a new one on me. I never heard of a baritone guitar. Cool. I see it has a whammy bar, too. Great for that Duane Eddy type stuff.
:bob: :bob: :bob: :bob:
ALL HAIL BOB!
:bob: :bob: :bob: :bob:

"...perhaps the way we started to play wasn't as impressive as it was to us, even, wasn't as full of impact as it might have been. I mean, it was done very well rather than considerably exciting. One thinks of it all as a dream." -S. Barrett
Suilebhain

involved
involved

Postby loop cat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:56 pm

basti moon wrote:And here´s what my new friend sounds like. I´ve tuned it to an F now so it´s more like a regular baritone, but when it arrived it had a low E tuning, one octave below your normal pet.

Awesome sounds! Gretschs are so damn beautiful :love:

I've been passively looking at baritones myself. One day I'd really love to get a guitar dedicated for lower tunings, but I use .052-.012 for E standard and open G. I can't seem to find a regular set of strings that don't feel all floppy to me even in C tunings.

Is there a big difference in the length of the neck?
loop cat

interested
interested

Postby basti moon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:23 pm

loop cat wrote:
basti moon wrote:And here´s what my new friend sounds like. I´ve tuned it to an F now so it´s more like a regular baritone, but when it arrived it had a low E tuning, one octave below your normal pet.

Awesome sounds! Gretschs are so damn beautiful :love:

I've been passively looking at baritones myself. One day I'd really love to get a guitar dedicated for lower tunings, but I use .052-.012 for E standard and open G. I can't seem to find a regular set of strings that don't feel all floppy to me even in C tunings.

Is there a big difference in the length of the neck?

The neck is almost 30" and probably looks stupid on me.. I thought it would feel bigger though. And it´s lighter than my normal guitar, which is probably because it´s not very topoftheline- I paid the equivalent of 700$ for it. Don´t know how that sounds to you, but over here it´s pretty cheap. Fenders go for 1200, highway 1 ones. The reason I went for this one instead of, let´s say, a jaguar baritone is that this can actually double as a bass (in some situations, I´m sure metalmariachi would kill if I ever tried to act like a real bassist) and it has so many string options. If I want a normal baritone I can just change the strings. And it´s not made only for metal people :)

About the string gauge, I understand totally. Noodle strings below 0.11 is terrible (for me)
basti moon

committed
committed

Postby loop cat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:42 pm

basti moon wrote:The neck is almost 30" and probably looks stupid on me.. I thought it would feel bigger though. And it´s lighter than my normal guitar, which is probably because it´s not very topoftheline- I paid the equivalent of 700$ for it. Don´t know how that sounds to you, but over here it´s pretty cheap. Fenders go for 1200, highway 1 ones. The reason I went for this one instead of, let´s say, a jaguar baritone is that this can actually double as a bass (in some situations, I´m sure metalmariachi would kill if I ever tried to act like a real bassist) and it has so many string options. If I want a normal baritone I can just change the strings. And it´s not made only for metal people :)

About the string gauge, I understand totally. Noodle strings below 0.11 is terrible (for me)

30 inches! I'm sure you look fine, have you ever seen Kazu Makino with her baritone? talk about a size difference.

I think if you're transitioning from a Les Paul, anything will feel light. I don't know where you're from, but here, I've seen it online for about $450, which is a damn good price for a quality guitar. Especially a baritone.

I'm not really a metal dude, nor do I try to play like SRV, I just like a thick chunky sound. I used to use Dean Markleys, but they seemed to die pretty quickly. I just started getting Elixirs, and I know every tone snob in the world says this, but they really are worth the extra cost. Sadly, if I go to the next set up in their electric line, I'm into baritone territory, and the strings on my guitar now just don't cut the low notes.
loop cat

interested
interested

Postby metalmariachi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:41 am

Basti;
Just give a listen to Jack Bruce’s bass lines on Crossroads that’s a 30” scale Fender bass VI.

That should give you a huge thick rhythm as well as some very great lead sounds.
Have you tried it with slide? Open tuning and a touch of Soda Meiser would be killer.

As for proper bass stuff, I write melodies and drum lines on the bass, so what do I know.

I’ve actually found it’s easier to make the switch from 34” to 30’ scale than to go to 32”
32” just feels odd, like the frets are in the wrong place.

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting some thing similar myself, or maybe a Bajo Sexto.
But I want to get a 12 string first, I want to play around with tuning the octives up and down from the root to sound like chords or just oddness.

Have you tried GHS strings? They work well for me, feel right, stay in tune and don’t seem to go dead as quickly as some other brands.
I haven’t tried TI’s, but at $130-$150 a set, they are a bit too pricey to experiment with.

Keith
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Stacco » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:02 am

I know that AEN hates it, but with the Eh Hog you can get some pretty kwel baritone sounds... And as for "bass" sounds... well, I havent gotten any decent ones (apart from a deep moog like thang I had going) as far as "traditional" bass sound is concerned (Maybe due to amplifiying it thru a boogie, instead of a more full range up). but hey you can get some SCARY good 8 and 12 string bass impressions... especially when you dial in some dirt. Think of John Paul Jones' recent stuff. RUMBLE CITY!!!

I love pissing of my bassist by invading his frequencies, hehehehe, but fuck him! he's got a pitch shifter too! :rock: :rock: :rock:
My solo project of a band featuring me and three quarters of myself: http://www.myspace.com/dotdotdotmmm
Stacco

committed
committed

Postby basti moon » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:14 pm

The prices are a bit different where I live, 700$ is concidered cheap :) We´re such a rich bunch.

I don´t have any Cream, got tired of it a long time ago... But all kinds of blues is awesome with baritones.
I posted this youtube clip somewhere a while ago in the "Me want" thread of a guy playing an eight string baritone with a slide. So he gets the awesome lead and heavy rhythm at the same time :love:

I gotta go get my slide now. Hope the strings aren´t too thick, the lowest string is like the D on a bass (in thickness).
On another note, I´d love to play the cello witha glass slide. Can´t imagine what that would sound like :!!!:
basti moon

committed
committed

Postby markvida » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:10 pm

Here is my only guitar:

Early 70s Framus with Manlius and Fralin pickups. You can hear it at http://www.myspace.com/iammarkvida on the song "Stupid Rokk and Roll", which utilizes a Devi Ever TP (smooth setting) for the big/loud guitars.
markvida

uncommitted
uncommitted

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass