Let's see your BASS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your BASS!

Postby bigchiefbc » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:51 pm

neonblack wrote:This one is way bad. I dont love the sound of bridge pickups in general, but you cant even hear mine unless its soloed, and then blech.

The red made it seem like a kids guitar to me. I dunno. I just prefer darker/more muted colors, or white.

I'm worried my paint job is gonna look cheap though. :(

I'll have to see it in the sunlight, but I'm on the fence about the navy I picked.

Interesting. I have the full scale VM Jag bass, and the J pup in the bridge is so fucking loud that it overdrives my amp all by itself. I usually turn the volume for it halfway down, and leave the P pup up full volume.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:
neonblack wrote:This one is way bad. I dont love the sound of bridge pickups in general, but you cant even hear mine unless its soloed, and then blech.

The red made it seem like a kids guitar to me. I dunno. I just prefer darker/more muted colors, or white.

I'm worried my paint job is gonna look cheap though. :(

I'll have to see it in the sunlight, but I'm on the fence about the navy I picked.

Interesting. I have the full scale VM Jag bass, and the J pup in the bridge is so fucking loud that it overdrives my amp all by itself. I usually turn the volume for it halfway down, and leave the P pup up full volume.

Switch with me? Haha
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:11 am

Holy Schnikes wrote:Just picked up this Jack Casady in Ltd. Edition Silverburst. I've always wanted a semi-hollow bass and this thing absolutely RIPS for the money. Great build quality, plays wonderfully, and the Varitone options on the single pickup offer a huge variety of tones. Just waiting on some DR nickel Low Riders and I'll get it set up exactly to my liking.

I dig that bass a lot. Had my eye on the Epiphone Rumble Cat bass for a while. Think they have discontinued it now. Bummer! It was a nice bass for the cash.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Achtane » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:10 am

Are there feedback issues with semihollow basses?
Well, I mean, do they feedback readily or does it take a little effort?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:57 am

In my experience it still takes effort unless you're turned up super loud. Kinda depends on amps, pickups, power, rooms though like feedback always does.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gruesomania » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:12 am

neonblack wrote:
KaosCill8r wrote:
Gruesomania wrote:Picked this up today. Loving the 30" scale, finding it a lot easier to play than the 34" ones.

Am looking at one of these myself. I have a squire vm jaguar short scale guitar and it rocks. Thinking of getting its bass brother. How does it sound?

If its like mine, the P pickup sounds nice and fat, but the J pickup sounds weak and thin. I just keep the P pickup soloed for now.

I love the way this thing feels in my hands though. I'm actually in the process of fixing mine up a bit right now. But I've been playing it for the last few months and falling in love with it. It deserves to be babied.

Pretty much this, the feel of the guitar is nice and it's easy to play. The bass itself is pretty light, probably lighter than my Jaguar and Jazzmaster. But yeah the J pickup leaves a fair bit to be desired against the P. I usually have the P pickup turned up full and the J pickup about half way which sounds pretty good to my ears. I might look into replacing the pick up eventually, but for now I'm pretty satisfied just mucking around on it.
Gruesomania

interested
interested

Postby devnulljp » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:58 am

Got back into playing bass seriously a year or so ago, so I now have these

83 Rick 4003, which is a nice aggressive machine

68 Telecaster

This has become my main bass though, although it's just a 90s MIJ Jazz with a set of CS60s. It sounds amazing

And I just bought this old thing. 62 P Bass

And I snagged this doghouse a couple of months ago, and it's a blast
Good deals done with all these guys
Canada, we put the "u" in satire
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:11 am

That's cool. Always wanted an upright. Don't know why, I probably couldn't play it.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby devnulljp » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:22 am

KaosCill8r wrote:That's cool. Always wanted an upright. Don't know why, I probably couldn't play it.
It's a workout, but you get used to it pretty quick. I've been playing fretless too for a bit which helps (it's a Warmoth parts Jazz and I don't have any pics of it). The gigs sure start rolling in once people know you play standup :yay:
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:02 am

devnulljp wrote:The gigs sure start rolling in once people know you play standup :yay:

:lol: So true.

They really aren't that much different to play, takes some getting used to but with lessons and practice it's cool. And so fun!

Awesome set of basses you've got there! :thumb:

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby KaosCill8r » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:09 am

monkeydancer wrote:
devnulljp wrote:The gigs sure start rolling in once people know you play standup :yay:

They really aren't that much different to play, takes some getting used to but with lessons and practice it's cool. And so fun!

I just like perfection and the lack of fret markings scare me. It seems once the fingers hit the finger board your committed to that note. How do you accurately play them without fret markings? I listen to Charles Mingus playing the upright and he just blows my mind how awesome he is.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby devnulljp » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:57 pm

KaosCill8r wrote:
monkeydancer wrote:

I just like perfection and the lack of fret markings scare me. It seems once the fingers hit the finger board your committed to that note. How do you accurately play them without fret markings? I listen to Charles Mingus playing the upright and he just blows my mind how awesome he is.
I played it for a couple of days with a chromatic tuner inline to keep an eye on intonation, and combined with your ear, you get used to finding where the notes are pretty quickly. Playing slide and fretless bass gtr has helped too. I'm still not great higher up the neck, but the lower notes are all there.
Try listening to Stanley Clarke playing upright -- it's amazing.
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:38 am

You get used to it is the answer. A lot of people learn by putting stickers on the lower end of the fingerboard for note positions, that can be helpful for getting used to the positioning, and slowly you do develop feel and an ear for it.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:26 am

This page needs more color
83-84 Bc Rich NJ Warlock :rock: Much metalz…
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby greyscales » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:39 pm

ImageImageImage

Fender Musicmaster Bass

Well, kind of.
The main new thing is the lipstick pickup. The idea came after seeing the new Fender Rascal bass with lipsticks. I'm liking the new tone. The brightness and low impedance makes it work well with pedals, can't wait to gig with it. Took a bit of MacGyver-ing to get the pickup to sit right. Now it works great though.

All it really needs is a heavier set of strings. Playing a half-step down makes the E a bit too loose. Wouldn't mind a new bridge with individually intonating saddles, but that's a long shot.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass