Let's see your BASS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your BASS!

Postby behndy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:17 pm

Blackened Soul wrote::lol: :idk: I think you are a bit fogeyer or about the same as me :p I think it has more to do with what grabbed you when you first started learning.. and while I was getting into metal, weird, noisy at the same times as starting playing the first song I actually learned was Exodus by Bob Marley, that reggae sound has always my zero point even when I go chasing bright stuff i always want some of the bigwarmheft in there :animal:

dubkitty wrote:i come from Jack Casady and Phil Lesh, so i'm all about 15" speakers that go WHUMMMMMMMMMM. my JBL D140F arrives today, and i'm a happy kitty. the bass and head already sound great through my Weber D120 clone, and the 15" should be heavenly.

i don't really know WHAT kind of bass TOANS i like? i adored Primus as a kicken, they're from my hood, got to see them SUCK at smaller places a few times before they blew up. but i was more into Bjork, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Aphex, Autechre, Squarepusher, stuff like that growing up. Korn was lots of fun when i was angry enough for it, but man his tone is a horrific grotesquery that fits sooooooo damn well in a very specific musical context.

i love me some Aguilar 12's. used to lug around a 2x12 for one pedalboard and a pair of 12's for the other when i gigged. heavy, messy, too much gear times.

but i'm not at all educated on speakers. as ignorant as i am with basses. liked the Dinger and Aggy's early enough to never try out much outside that.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:24 pm

murf. there's an exercise a bass teacher gave me, the proper fingering for playing major and minor scales in 3rds then 4ths on a 6 string bass. i can NOT find the copy i had, i can't find anything on line that covers what that did. he showed me and had me practice when to pre-shift a finger and such. i might just be so Musical Language Dumb that i don't know what to search for. any advice cha'all?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:31 am

Herm.. smooth transition shifting within keys? I’m terrible about bass specific stuff.. I had 3 lessons starting out, one on how you play scales, one on playing with your finger and walking bass patterns and one on a fingers stretching exercise… everything else.. my parents were musicians andI grew up in thier home studio with lots of “old” musicians randomly showing me stuff.. my parents would sometimes have Sunday jams with local cats and I’d end up playing in them by 15 because… bass.. :lol: so I basically learned by being thrown in the deep end :!!!: so I developed a pretty good ear and have a rational understanding of theory and never play in the way of the vocal…. I never really wanted to learn the stuff bassplayer magazine would tell you you had to learn or that you had to accept fusion as music :p
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:24 am

lol. right? i have... an okay ear? don't get fusion or jazz and am impressed by super fast playing but... don't really want to do that? i just get to where i feel like i'm playing tiny variations on like 3 things. mostly that's why i'm trying to expand my knowledge.

moof. i thought it was called skipping thirds (then fourths, fifths etcetera). i know it's where you play the first note in the scale, then skip the second to play the third, then play the second note in the scale then the third above that, repeat. i can work out how to do that, but there was a fingering and pre-shifting aspect that i know i'm not doing correctly, was hoping to find something that covered that. especially for a six string bass.

lolllololol I DON'T EVEN FULLY KNOW WHAT I WANT TO KNOW WOOOOOOOOOO.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Blackened Soul » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:46 pm

I'm sure you will figure out what you need to learn as you travel along your journey and if all else fails..

In other stuff.. I FINALLY got my pick guard for my musicman.. lesson: don't order WD music pick guard from Capital music on eBay.. I did because they said it was "in stock"
I wasn't.. they just order it from WB to make for you, have it shipped to them then they reship it to you.. only taking twice the time it takes to order direct from WD... :grumpy:

Anyway.. pict of me stingrayz
IMG_3152.jpg
IMG_3152.jpg (133.61 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass