Heavy string help

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Heavy string help

Postby scienceman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:55 am

I've noticed a lot of you play 12 gauge strings. I used to play a 12-56 set for a while an broke a string every week. I really like the feel and sounds of the 12s though. When I took the guitar to a tech for a setup he looked at me like I was crazy and told me I couldn't use those strings without the breaks. Do all of your strings break or have you found a way to make the setup work?
scienceman

committed
committed

Re: Heavy string help

Postby friendship » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:38 am

There's no reason I know if why the strings should be breaking more frequently unless the saddles are bad or the nut hasn't been cut to accommodate the gauge.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:39 am

Yeah, I was going to post that it seems more like a guitar issue than a string issue
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gunslinger_burrito » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:04 pm

friendship wrote:There's no reason I know if why the strings should be breaking more frequently unless the saddles are bad or the nut hasn't been cut to accommodate the gauge.

skullservant wrote:Yeah, I was going to post that it seems more like a guitar issue than a string issue

Yes. ^^^^

Where does the string break? That might tell you if you have some edges or burrs on the saddles. I've tried to play as hard as possible with heavy strings, even tuned high enough to be really tense, and they've broke on me.
gunslinger_burrito

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby scienceman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:23 pm

The weird thing was that the string was snapping at about the 16 fret.
scienceman

committed
committed

Postby Moose » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Is it the same string everytime?

Is it repeatedly breaking exactly the same place? (16th fret)

Does it happen when you do certain things in your playing (e.g. bends?)

If it's always breaking in the same place, it might be worth grabbing a magnifying glass and having a look at the area where it breaks. It's possible there's something on the back of a fret, or perhaps even on the fretboard itself (like a tiny dip or bump) that causes uneven wear/the string to catch slightly when playing.

At least from there, if you do find something you can take it to a tech and show him what you've found? :idk:

EDIT: I'd like to add that I don't personally use 12s, but my brother does and I setup his guitars because I enjoy doing it. His current 12s have been on there for over a month with no breakage as yet (tuned to CGCGCE mind).
Moose

committed
committed

Postby grygrx » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:59 pm

I've used 12s on my Jag and while I break a string from time to time, I think it's no more than my other guitars. I echo the other feelings expressed, more of a guitar issue... find a new tech.
grygrx

committed
committed

Postby scienceman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:46 pm

Ok thanks erybody
scienceman

committed
committed

Postby wafl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:57 pm

I use 13-56 tuned to c standard and have never had a break.
Tuning down might help as it will reduce the tension on the strings.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:02 am

I agree with the pack. I have use 13's for standard and 16's for bari tuning for years.. [been using lighter string the last few years because of being lazy interms of fucking with custom sets.. really though if anyone knows a good source for a plain .029 let me know, there is no better sounding G] and the only time I have ever had strings break is from them rusting/giving out after having them on for over a year or two… on the other hand my friend Dan plays 13s on acoustic and breaks strings every night :idk: but he plays traditional blues and plays HARD :lol:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby PeteeBee » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Unrelated to the OP, but related to the thread title:

So I'm playing in a couple projects lately, and I only have one guitar. One project plays in E Standard, another mostly Drop D, another Drop C. I have been borrowing a guitar from the other guitar guy in the Drop C band but I would rather play my own because I like it more. Right now I'm all strung up with 10-46. Would you guys recommend a set of 12s to handle this range of tunings? Obviously E and Drop D isn't a big deal, but the Drop C sounds real bad with the 46. I'm thinking a set that starts with 11s but ends thicker than usual could get there.

My other question is if you guys would worry about adjusting the action between standard tuning and drop C. I've had people say that, but I couldn't tell if they were trying to make some money off me, if they are just more goofy about their rigs than me, or if they are right.

Any advice is totally appreciated!
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Mudfuzz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:04 am

action, no but I could see if you were picky wanting to have a guitar in a opening tuning intonated for that tuning just as most guitars are intonated for standard.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Yeah action won't be a problem, and only tuning down to D intonation should be good enough for rock and roll. I use 12s or 13s and switch between D standard and E standard pretty often, no problems.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Return to Guitar and Bass