Microtonal Guitars/Necks

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Microtonal Guitars/Necks

Postby MrNovember » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:54 pm

So, recently (well like around December/January) the local shop received their Marrakesh Quarter Tone stock, but due to importing fees, they had to increase the price by like $200 CDN. Unfortunately, that put them out of my price range.

But, I've had a new idea! I haven't played my baritone JM in awhile:
I'm toying with the idea of finding someone who would perform a microtonal refret so I can have the most ridiculously niche JM possible. I think I like the idea of a microtonal baritone guitar. I might consider trying the work myself, but I don't know how much I'd trust myself with that
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby voerking » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 am

hey - i actually took the neck off of my Marrakesh & have been using a standard Jazzmaster neck on that guitar. If you want to try just the Marrakesh quarter tone neck on your JM, instead of refretting your existing neck, we could probably work something out!
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:24 pm

Hey thanks for the offer! I've actually reached out to a luthier nearby, but I might take you up on that depending on the price to do the work on my baritone.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:02 pm

MrNovember wrote:Hey thanks for the offer! I've actually reached out to a luthier nearby, but I might take you up on that depending on the price to do the work on my baritone.

Update! Dude is really cool and is able to just add in some frets in between the existing frets. Going to cost me $75CAD plus the cost of a setup, which my guitar badly needed anyways. He's apparently got it settling with the new frets installed at the moment before he finishes the setup. I should be able to pick it up next week!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:23 pm

Right on! that is the way to go.

in similar things and stuff I thought you guys might find interesting.. a friend just dropped of a project he is working on for me to wire for him [he hates soldering :lol: ] where he got one of those weird cheap chinese extended range guitars and added microtonal frets and is planning a really interesting running.. his plan is for this to be a prototype to see if he likes the idea and if he does he might make himself a proper [good] one :omg:
Attachments
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg (116.76 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:24 pm

That thing looks nuts! Mine is just going to be the King Gizzard Saz neck setup with some microtonal frets on the first octave. Microtonal frets all the way down the fretboard looks really cramped to me, but it could work out really well.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:56 pm

Yeah, he was saying the same thing, thats why he stopped the mirotonals on the last frets. I also sold him one of my Ibanez six string basses, he said he wanted so he could to add 2 more strings and a bunch of frets :lol:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:34 am

shit that looks bizarre! What a fun project :!!!: Even the last few microtonal frets he DID add look very hard to play :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Finally picked it up on the weekend! Can't post instagram pics any more (guess I need a new image posting service :idk: ), but here's the link to some pics:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRMUW-yBG-F/

I really haven't had a chance to play it yet other than a bit of noodling unplugged, but hopefully should have some time this weekend. Not sure what to tune it too. King Gizzard use C#F#C#F#EB so I might give that a go. Should probably work pretty well on the baritone? Maybe I'll go another step down if it's feeling a little too tight?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass