Acoustic Guitar Pickups

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Acoustic Guitar Pickups

Postby MrNovember » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 am

Errant Tiger wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but after sticking a pickup into my Guild, would I necessarily need a preamp? I've never used or needed one before - but is that just built into a dedicated a/e already?

I think it depends what kind of electronics you grab. I've heard a lot of people using preamps if they go for passive amplification (like the K&K mini I mentioned earlier). From what I've read they're really just there to bring weak signals up to proper levels and to provide some additional tone shaping.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby MrNovember » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:29 am

Also, I've been messing around with the pickup goroth lent me and it is pretty rad! Sounds much more acoustic like than I was expecting. I kind of thought most sound hole pickups were more similar to electric pickups and I wasn't really expecting the acoustic sound to come across.

It's incredibly fun sending it through some dirt and delays. Played for a good couple hours with it through my Tetanus Booster, Rainbow Machine, Clarinot, and Transmisser. The only thing I don't really like is having the wire hanging out the sound hole. It's gotten in the way a few times and it's just annoying when I'm playing unplugged. I've seen a few people tape them down, but I'm not sure I want to commit to that yet.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Errant Tiger » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:27 am

MrNovember wrote:
Errant Tiger wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but after sticking a pickup into my Guild, would I necessarily need a preamp? I've never used or needed one before - but is that just built into a dedicated a/e already?

I think it depends what kind of electronics you grab. I've heard a lot of people using preamps if they go for passive amplification (like the K&K mini I mentioned earlier). From what I've read they're really just there to bring weak signals up to proper levels and to provide some additional tone shaping.

Ohhhhh! I always thought preamps were there to control feedback, or something, when really it is apparently the opposite. That's good to know - the K&K mini is actually what I've been contemplating.

Also, I had the same ideas about soundhole pickups that you did. Good to know!

Thanks!
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:46 am

I think the EQ in a preamp can still be used to help control feedback by cutting frequencies that are causing issues.

I'm still considering the K&K mini as well, so let me know how it is if you grab it.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby MrNovember » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:16 pm

So I've been playing a bit with the pickup that goroth lent me and I am really enjoying it, but I found this thing and I am super tempted:
https://www.submarinepickup.com/sub-pro-index
It's way more than I'd want to spend, but it seems like a really cool idea. I need to read some reviews to know if it's worth the price. Anyone try either this or the original Submarine pickup?

Also, where is repoman? I fucking want this:
repoman wrote:Image

This Silvertone amp (top left) was 3 dollars at a garage sale, stuffed in the back was this old archtop pickup unit. It sounds really, really good. Amazingly so, even on this crummy old kit acoustic.

The Silvertone amp sounds very good too.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:34 pm

@repoman - That thing looks ace!
So I've been using $15 gold foil knock offs from amazon. I think they sound good. My studio buddy likes them too. Not for "what they are". We think they just sound good.
I'm going to take this time to say how much I love Lindsay Buckingham's guitar too.
They make cheap knock offs of them now too! SCORE!!! (I don't have one but a $300 option is available)
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:43 am

Wait, what?! What clones and where can someone get one?
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:49 am

yeah, BREAK, Y'ALL!
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Gone Fission wrote:Wait, what?! What clones and where can someone get one?

I just saw this. Sorry buddy. Will follow up. I swear I saw them for like $300.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:10 pm

https://www.dhgate.com/product/rare-ric ... 51EALw_wcB

DH Gate. On iPad. Not embedding the link. The body shape is not nearly as sleek.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:00 am

you know.. some of us have had to play cover gigs full of shit off rumors :picard:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:you know.. some of us have had to play cover gigs full of shit off rumors :picard:

You know I love and respect you not just as a friend, but as a musician (you have albums in my best of the decade list) but.... I’m having a hard time feeling bad for you on this one :lol: :lol:
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:18 pm

:lol: :hug:
I was mostly trying to be funny.. Mostly
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:59 pm

I think I like repoman’s guitar more.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 am

MrNovember wrote:So I've been playing a bit with the pickup that goroth lent me and I am really enjoying it, but I found this thing and I am super tempted:
https://www.submarinepickup.com/sub-pro-index
It's way more than I'd want to spend, but it seems like a really cool idea. I need to read some reviews to know if it's worth the price. Anyone try either this or the original Submarine pickup?

Also, where is repoman? I fucking want this:
repoman wrote:Image

This Silvertone amp (top left) was 3 dollars at a garage sale, stuffed in the back was this old archtop pickup unit. It sounds really, really good. Amazingly so, even on this crummy old kit acoustic.

The Silvertone amp sounds very good too.

What in the world! That picture is so boner inducing I have lost the feeling in all other extremities
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass