seeking a little something extra

Moderator: Ghost Hip

seeking a little something extra

Postby Errant Tiger » Mon May 20, 2019 12:18 pm

So I've been making a lot of noise lately - I don't think "ambient" is quite right but sure, why not - and what I'm looking for is a way to, once I've got a decent pad of noise going on (sometimes via the looper but more often via delay stacking), tweak the signal just enough to make it stand out over the pad, if that makes sense. I've contemplated an EQ, compressor, or volume pedal, but thought I'd court some advice from you knowledgeable people. So what would you try?

If it matters, my chain is more or less:

TU3>Sabbra Caddabra>Soothsayer>Shepherd>Mel9>Starlight>Phase 90>MXR Analog Chorus>Arion AD-10>DD3>Canyon>Rubberneck>DD5>RC3>Tera Echo>Afterneath>FX600>stereo amps (Gemini I/Katana).

Thanks in advance!
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Re: seeking a little something extra

Postby kosta » Mon May 20, 2019 2:19 pm

Ah yes.... The Looper's / Ambient Dilemma. For me, it's the same as playing in a band really. I have to leave room for all of the parts. I usually try achieve this by making all of the constituent parts simpler if they're in the same relative frequency range, or by pushing the parts into different frequency ranges. They have to be separated one way or the other, either into lows/mids/highs or by leaving time between notes for more notes to be added later. Not to oversimplify it, but that's how I usually think about it.

And yeah, filters and EQ pedals are really handy for achieving frequency separation. I especially love a parametric EQ.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Errant Tiger » Mon May 20, 2019 10:21 pm

Yeah man, it’s a conundrum. Glad I’m not alone.

Is there a parametric EQ in pedal form you like? Preferably not too pricey?
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Get a cheap parametric EQ! I think they have more character than expensive ones.

Sure, they color the tone more, but what's a little tone coloration? :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby dubkitty » Tue May 21, 2019 7:07 am

isn't tone coloration what he's after to a certain extent?

i know it's kind of silly in this community, but what about a decent "clean boost"? i have a Mellowtone Hi 5 which is really great for making things pop. or you could try a Klone if you can live with the Gear Page connotations...maybe put tape all over it like the gybe! guys. when i say "clean boost" it's assumed that all boosts impart some degree of tone coloration, and that the chosen unit has an overall sound that you like.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby kosta » Tue May 21, 2019 10:32 am

Errant Tiger wrote:Yeah man, it’s a conundrum. Glad I’m not alone.

Is there a parametric EQ in pedal form you like? Preferably not too pricey?

I really, really like the Maestro MPF-1 Parametric Filter, though it may not be the most practical for everyone. The Stone Deaf PDF-1 is based on it, so that may be another option. The old Ibanez PQ9 Parametric EQ is also really great. And I really love the EQ capabilities on the Fuzzhugger Magic Meter.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Errant Tiger » Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 am

dubkitty wrote:isn't tone coloration what he's after to a certain extent?

i know it's kind of silly in this community, but what about a decent "clean boost"? i have a Mellowtone Hi 5 which is really great for making things pop. or you could try a Klone if you can live with the Gear Page connotations...maybe put tape all over it like the gybe! guys. when i say "clean boost" it's assumed that all boosts impart some degree of tone coloration, and that the chosen unit has an overall sound that you like.

Tone coloration is potentially what I'm after. Whatever I can get to "stand out" over my pad, really. I had thought the easiest way to do it might be a volume pedal: just keep it set at maybe midway for noise generation, then floor it for incredible riffing (or whatever) over that. I had also thought about some kinda klone, though then I read that they're "best" when an amp's at the edge of breakup, and my amps really never break up. So I don't really know.

I had also been thinking about the MXR six band EQ, but now I'll have to check out the parametric EQs, as well as research the difference between them and graphic EQs. It's a good thing you don't need a license for pedals because I would totally flunk it...

Thanks, everyone!
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby ratrod » Tue May 21, 2019 11:56 am

I enjoy a tone color shift for parts to stand out in an ambient setting. I’ve had success using a Boss SD-1 or Rat set with minimum gain to make a part “pop” over washed out loops.

Right now I’m using an EHX Memory Toy with the internal level trimpot turned up, gives me a juicy boost and some extra cloudy swirl as well!
ratrod

committed
committed

Postby BoatRich » Tue May 21, 2019 4:50 pm

The Walrus Emissary could be really cool for this too. It’s really solid for making stuff pop out in a mix. Parallel EP boost type thing and a semi parametric mid boost.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Errant Tiger » Wed May 22, 2019 8:25 am

BoatRich wrote:The Walrus Emissary could be really cool for this too. It’s really solid for making stuff pop out in a mix. Parallel EP boost type thing and a semi parametric mid boost.

Ooh, I'll scope it out. Thanks!
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby voerking » Wed May 22, 2019 4:13 pm

here's a suggestion that won't cost a penny: vary your pickup settings to control the mix of the loops. if you make your 'bed' with neck & middle settings, switching to the bridge can help cut through when playing over it.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Wed May 22, 2019 5:09 pm

If you want to go cheap: MXR 6 BAND EQ. Works well even as a boost, colors tone like it's supposed to, it's simple, and you see how you've set it even from the distance.
Last edited by Dowi on Thu May 23, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Errant Tiger » Wed May 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Dowi wrote:If you want to go cheap: MXR 6 BAND EQ. Work well even as a boost, colors cone like it's supposed to, it's simple, and you see how you've set it even from the distance.

This is exactly one of the options I’m considering. Thanks for the validation!
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Errant Tiger » Wed May 22, 2019 5:47 pm

voerking wrote:here's a suggestion that won't cost a penny: vary your pickup settings to control the mix of the loops. if you make your 'bed' with neck & middle settings, switching to the bridge can help cut through when playing over it.

This is actually a really good point. I don’t think it will solve all my problems but I am definitely guilty of ignoring my guitar’s controls, and would do well to remember that part of the reason I’ve moved from the Les Paul to the Jazzmaster is to have controls that actually do something...
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby dubkitty » Fri May 24, 2019 9:21 am

a very good point indeed, and one that i generally forget in my focus on kicking individual pedals off/on. especially relevant given that i'm on the bridge PU like 90% of the time.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass